Instrument panel cover removal help

Stratus_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I just purchased a new CB1100 Deluxe used with 300 miles from down in Arkansas. It is in awesome shape but has a small issue with the LCD instrument cover between the gauges. It appears that the previous owner must have pressure washed the bike prior to the sale and some soap ran down behind instrument plastic cover window. It has left streaks and spots inside the display cover. I took it to my dealer and they took a photo and sent it to Honda for a possible warranty repair. Honda determined that it was pressure washer damage (beware pressure washers!) and it won't be covered. My dealer said the cover panel can be replaced along with their labor. I'm fairly handy with repairs but the online parts diagrams don't really give a clear indication of how I could remove the cover panel. Do any of you know if the maintenance guide for this bike detail the removal process? I'm hoping I can remove the cover and attempt a clean up of the streaking. Thanks! This really is a great forum :thumbsup:
 
If it's anything like the panel cover on my CBF1000, Honda likes to hide a push pin in the centre (usually directly under the Honda Logo). There may be screws around the underside of the perimeter, but the panel cover will not break free until you pull hard enough to disengage the centre push pin. It may seem as though it is about to break and then it pops free.

Hope this helps!
 
" My dealer said the cover panel can be replaced along with their labor"

and he won't tell you how it's done?
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try to take a look for screws/locking pins. I couldn't tell if the headlight/bucket needed to come out to get to screws behind the instrument panel assembly. If there were a step-by-step in a manual, I'd purchase the reference manual. I suspect that isn't something I'll have access to. I'll try asking my service guy and see if he can provide steps.

Here's the exploded view I found:

http://parts.southernhonda.com/a/Honda__CB1100/55063142__6253708/METER/14MGCE01_MGCAF0200.html
 
Thread starter
Ok. I forged ahead and did a full disassembly of the instrument pod. I did have to drop the headlight assembly down to allow access to the screws/bolts. The front cover was secured by 13 screws then the cover was easily removed (no pulling required). I was able to clean the inside of the cover and get everything buttoned back up (be careful not to loose 2 posts that float freely in the instrument assembly and are pressed by the 2 front selector buttons). If I can, I'll post pictures of the process.

Unfortunately, just after I completed the operation, I received a call from the Honda dealer. A CB1100 tech rep called the dealer and said they wanted him to go ahead and order the part and then have the service department attempt to clean the original with the replacement part in standby if necessary. Of course, because I did the work myself, the dealer is afraid they now won't be authorized to do the work. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer service department. It does sound like they may be aware of a manufacturing defect as the CB1100 tech rep approved service that was initially rejected by Honda tech in general. Just thought others should be aware of the possible issue. While my cleaning job looks great and other's wouldn't notice the flaw ever existed, I would prefer it was factory perfect. Then again, I'm sure in a couple of months, I'll completely forget the the whole thing :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Ok, here's a link for the pictures showing the disassembly. A couple of notes: I used a 90 degree offset phillips driver to access the 3 screws holding the back cover on and the 4 nuts were removed using a 10mm socket. The shop towels were to protect the finish while moving the parts around. I was able to tip the display forward to access the screws by temporarily re-fastening the headlight. This freed up just enough cable slack to let me reach all the screws. The 13 screws needed to release the cover were just the ones on the outside edges. The screws away from the outside were left alone. Once the 13 were unscrewed, the front cover pulled away without having to apply force.

2014 CB1100 Deluxe
 
Nice pics! Looks to be a very easy job actually.

And naturally after you do it they call back...
 
Stratus_imp said:
Ok. I forged ahead and did a full disassembly of the instrument pod. I did have to drop the headlight assembly down to allow access to the screws/bolts. The front cover was secured by 13 screws then the cover was easily removed (no pulling required). I was able to clean the inside of the cover and get everything buttoned back up (be careful not to loose 2 posts that float freely in the instrument assembly and are pressed by the 2 front selector buttons). If I can, I'll post pictures of the process.

Unfortunately, just after I completed the operation, I received a call from the Honda dealer. A CB1100 tech rep called the dealer and said they wanted him to go ahead and order the part and then have the service department attempt to clean the original with the replacement part in standby if necessary. Of course, because I did the work myself, the dealer is afraid they now won't be authorized to do the work. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer service department. It does sound like they may be aware of a manufacturing defect as the CB1100 tech rep approved service that was initially rejected by Honda tech in general. Just thought others should be aware of the possible issue. While my cleaning job looks great and other's wouldn't notice the flaw ever existed, I would prefer it was factory perfect. Then again, I'm sure in a couple of months, I'll completely forget the the whole thing :thumbsup:
Tell them that they should still do the work because they initially denied you the work and you couldn't just let it stay like that. It's their fault that you jumped into it in the first place and they should hold you responsible for that.
 
Stratus, I tore into my instrument cluster looking for a buzzing sound which I never found but I did wrap all the wiring in the headlightt bucket per Popgun and the buzzing went away. This was weeks ago but I just recently noticed all the grimy fingerprints on the inside of the speedo so yesterday I went back into the assembly to clean. A trick I learned is once the outside screws are removed, you can put the instruments back in the mounting holes and lift the front cover off, thus saving the integrity of the 2 plastic stems which mount under the A and B buttons. Since I had done this project before, my R/R time was less than one hour. :banana:
 
I'd love to replace the "A" and "B" stems with buttons that work with gloves.

I also have a bad habit of wiping the dust/dirt off of the display and as a result it is already scratched a bit. I'll probably have to replace it someday.
 
Thread starter
That's great advice White Dog. I think I did flip it back before removing the top cover and only after shifting things around did I notice the button stems were loose and likely to fall out if I wasn't careful.

I did receive a call back from my Honda service tech and he wants me to bring the bike by so he can examine the cover. Thinking about it, I'm wondering if the defect in my cover wasn't from a pressure washer but instead may have been a mis-application of anti-fog liquid coating. Looking closely at the speedo and tach covers, I can see a similar (but less heavily applied) brush pattern in a circular pattern. I can imagine Honda applying a coating to prevent instrument fogging in high moisture as it appears the instruments aren't airtight. Perhaps my cover slipped through quality control. Examining the LCD display, I saw zero evidence of liquid intrusion. I would have expected something if the issue was caused by pressure washing by the prior owner.

I'll post a reply as I learn more.
 
Thread starter
Today, after a wonderful 30 minute ride to the dealer (clear blue skies after 5 inches of rain yesterday), I received the good news that after a second look, Honda will be replacing my instrument cover panel. I took Randy's advice and suggested I wouldn't have cleaned up the display on my own had they not initially told me the issue wouldn't be covered under my 5 year warranty. The part is in the local warehouse so the repair should be completed soon.
 
Good news, Stratus.
 
Thread starter
I'm happy to report that Jim at Fox Valley Cycles in Aurora and the helpful Honda representatives really came through for me by replacing the instrument cover. Despite being a used bike and not knowing the prior history of care, they agreed to replace a part that could have been damaged by poor handling. It was clear that their main goal was to make sure the owner of the bike is happy with Honda and their product.

Interestingly, during the course of this, I was made aware that Honda follows this forum regularly and is interested in the opinions of owners of this unique bike. I have to say, I was very impressed by the personal involvement of everyone involved. In the past, I had an issue with a new bike from an Italian manufacturer involving warped brake rotors from new. In that instance, my concerns fell on deaf ears. It is pretty cool when you know a manufacturer really cares about their product.
 
"Interestingly, during the course of this, I was made aware that Honda follows this forum regularly and is interested in the opinions of owners of this unique bike."

Really? That's interesting. Who exactly from Honda follows this forum regularly?
 
Thread starter
Hi Ferrit, I'm not certain but it could be a social media department or the tech reps. All I know is that they were aware of my posts. Pretty cool that they take an interest in our group of enthusiasts.
 
hmmm... monitoring the forum, now I wonder if the US '14 DLX with its silver engine, chromed headers, bigger tank and symmetrical (very important !) matched mufflers was primarily a result of reading this group's opinions of the US '13 model ? A set of changes so important that a number of members, including me, were willing to trade in their 1 year old '13s for '14 DLX-s ?
Dealer thought I was nuts, but I'm so happy with the DLX :-)
 
Back
Top