Instrument Cluster A & B Button Repair

Hey PB, I can find them on the Honda parts fiche easily ;)
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm impressed:

(a) with your diagnosis and repair; and
(b) you survived tripping on the stairs.

Nice work all round.
It takes real talent to trip going up stairs.

Thx Cormanus! :cool:

Houtman_imp said:
I am very impressed that you " pinned" the problem so cheaply .
Wah wah wah...it was really more of a MacGyver operation truth be told. :D
It takes real talent to trip going up stairs.
...
Heh, heh - Put on cold weather riding boots, put on the full face helmet, shield closed, and heck, put on the cold weather jacket. Proceed to walk up a full flight of stairs. :)
 
Thread starter
NHCB1100_imp said:
I have a damaged cluster that I can take apart and send you the rods if you like. Just let me know. From a 2014 bike.
I would absolutely take you up on that! Admittedly, I would absolutely prefer factory parts inside. Also, I think I damaged my right turn signal indicator LED in the process. Didn't notice it until I rode today, and noticed LH works fine, RH, no blinky. I'm betting I caused it during my repair process unknowingly. Can't find any indication if it's a 3.5V, 3.7V, 5V...was thinking I could find another PCB somewhere and move one of the LED's over. I'll PM ya!
 
Good job. From what I recall the pins just fall out when you take it apart, so I can see how they were misplaced on a prior assembly and I guess the guy couldn't be bothered to do the job twice?

I should have a couple of spare pins from a used cluster I broke for parts on my K10 build. Just shout if you want me to post them.
 
Thread starter
Ninemeister_imp said:
Good job. From what I recall the pins just fall out when you take it apart, so I can see how they were misplaced on a prior assembly and I guess the guy couldn't be bothered to do the job twice?

I should have a couple of spare pins from a used cluster I broke for parts on my K10 build. Just shout if you want me to post them.
Thanks Nine! I think NHCB1100 (John) is fixing me up with everything I need. Will be nice to have the factory designed parts back in place. I'll feel like everything is right in the Universe again. :)

I wish I knew why the original owner disassembled the cluster in the first place...very curious.
 
There are some good, kind and generous people on this forum.
 
Hi...those parts/pieces shipped out today. You should see them Monday.

Good question about why was someone in the cluster. The only reason that I can think of would be to replace something that was broken but those pins are pretty far inside the unit. Any damage to the outer part would never take someone that far into the cluster. Hmmmmm.
 
NHCB1100_imp said:
Hi...those parts/pieces shipped out today. You should see them Monday.

Good question about why was someone in the cluster. The only reason that I can think of would be to replace something that was broken but those pins are pretty far inside the unit. Any damage to the outer part would never take someone that far into the cluster. Hmmmmm.
I've seen some YouTube videos in which people demonstrate changing out instrument parts for customization. In all of those cases disassembly of the cluster was required and shown...

for example:


maybe ?
 
Thread starter
furious_blue_imp said:
NHCB1100_imp said:
Hi...those parts/pieces shipped out today. You should see them Monday.

Good question about why was someone in the cluster. The only reason that I can think of would be to replace something that was broken but those pins are pretty far inside the unit. Any damage to the outer part would never take someone that far into the cluster. Hmmmmm.
I've seen some YouTube videos in which people demonstrate changing out instrument parts for customization. In all of those cases disassembly of the cluster was required and shown...

for example:


maybe ?
I've seen some YouTube videos in which people demonstrate changing out instrument parts for customization. In all of those cases disassembly of the cluster was required and shown...

for example:


maybe ? Hmm, it's certainly possible. I looked for solder joints that didn't look factory and didn't find any, but that doesn't mean the guy didn't have some bodacious soldering skills that looked as good as factory.

I'm looking forward to installing factory actuators to eliminate my home baked remedy. Will be proper once again.
 
Phadreus_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
NHCB1100_imp said:
Hi...those parts/pieces shipped out today. You should see them Monday.

Good question about why was someone in the cluster. The only reason that I can think of would be to replace something that was broken but those pins are pretty far inside the unit. Any damage to the outer part would never take someone that far into the cluster. Hmmmmm.
I've seen some YouTube videos in which people demonstrate changing out instrument parts for customization. In all of those cases disassembly of the cluster was required and shown...

for example:


maybe ?
I've seen some YouTube videos in which people demonstrate changing out instrument parts for customization. In all of those cases disassembly of the cluster was required and shown...

for example:


maybe ? Hmm, it's certainly possible. I looked for solder joints that didn't look factory and didn't find any, but that doesn't mean the guy didn't have some bodacious soldering skills that looked as good as factory.

I'm looking forward to installing factory actuators to eliminate my home baked remedy. Will be proper once again.
Thanks for posting the photos. It was cool to see what the insides of our instrument cluster looks like. It would be interesting to see what the factory rods look like vs the home grown items like how close are they in length ?
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
NHCB1100_imp said:
Hi...those parts/pieces shipped out today. You should see them Monday.

Good question about why was someone in the cluster. The only reason that I can think of would be to replace something that was broken but those pins are pretty far inside the unit. Any damage to the outer part would never take someone that far into the cluster. Hmmmmm.
I've seen some YouTube videos in which people demonstrate changing out instrument parts for customization. In all of those cases disassembly of the cluster was required and shown...

for example:


maybe ?
I've seen some YouTube videos in which people demonstrate changing out instrument parts for customization. In all of those cases disassembly of the cluster was required and shown...

for example:


maybe ? Hmm, it's certainly possible. I looked for solder joints that didn't look factory and didn't find any, but that doesn't mean the guy didn't have some bodacious soldering skills that looked as good as factory.

I'm looking forward to installing factory actuators to eliminate my home baked remedy. Will be proper once again.
Thanks for posting the photos. It was cool to see what the insides of our instrument cluster looks like. It would be interesting to see what the factory rods look like vs the home grown items like how close are they in length ?
Thanks for posting the photos. It was cool to see what the insides of our instrument cluster looks like. It would be interesting to see what the factory rods look like vs the home grown items like how close are they in length ?
Thanks for posting that video. I had know idea that you could add modifications like that. Was interesting.
 
Thread starter
New Actuators installed and running like new again. Honda Actuators were a tad more refined than my DIY units. :rolleyes:

Big thank you to NHCB1100 for helping me with new parts, much appreciated my friend. Hope I can return the favor someday. :thanks:

 
Back
Top