Instrument Cluster A & B Button Repair

Phadreus_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I came across the most bizarre thing today on my CB. Since I bought it a few weeks ago, the A & B Pushbuttons on the Instrument Cluster did not work. The previous owner acknowledged this when I bought the bike. So I decided to go in an diagnose the problem. I expected to see a bad micro-switch or a broken circuit lead, but what I found was strange.

I began by removing the Instrument Cluster from the bike. I could tell the way wires were routed, they were out of factory position and somebody had been in working on something prior to me.


Next I disassembled the Instrument Cluster.




I inspected the A & B Push Buttons and all looked good.

Next I tried inspecting the Micro-Switches but was unable to see them in such a small area. I was however able to actuate them and they felt fine.


Then it occurred to me, there were no Actuator Rods to allow the A & B Push Buttons to depress the Micro-Switches. Where they went, I have no idea but they were not in the Instrument Cluster anywhere.

So I took some dimensions and cut some Round Stock to the correct length, and inserted them into the Cluster. Viola! Worked like a charm.


Reassembled on the bike, correctly routing the Wire Harness and buttoned everything up. Key in, Ignition on, A & B Buttons now work perfectly, and best of all it was a free fix beyond an hour of time.


Washed the bike as always after working on her, and she's now ready for the road again, and now I can use the Clock, MPG, Trip...all the digital goodies.


Very bizarre
 
Good and professional job Phadreus, supported by a correct diagnosis in advance!! :clap:

P.S. where is your apprentice shop dog???
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Good and professional job Phadreus, supported by a correct diagnosis in advance!! :clap:

P.S. where is your apprentice shop dog???
Thx PB!

She was lying out in the grass gnawing on a Ham Bone wifey through out to her. I'm her first priority right after food and chasing cats. :D
 
Phadreus_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Good and professional job Phadreus, supported by a correct diagnosis in advance!! :clap:

P.S. where is your apprentice shop dog???
Thx PB!

She was lying out in the grass gnawing on a Ham Bone wifey through out to her. I'm her first priority right after food and chasing cats. :D
Thx PB!

She was lying out in the grass gnawing on a Ham Bone wifey through out to her. I'm her first priority right after food and chasing cats. :D
My Bella/dachshund tirelessly chasing and hunting squirrels, rats and rabbits, so far squirrels are uncatchable.
She's not a shop dog tho :-/
 
What PB said! Good job and nice fix!
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
You are a smart guy !
Ah shux...one never lose sight of the fact that no matter how smart they are, there is always a woman behind the scenes pointing out all the flaws in his work. Heheheh...

In fact, when I came in after I finished, I yelled up to wifey "Whelp, I fixed the buttons on the CB, and it didn't cost me [trip and fell going up the stairs to our second floor because I forgot I had my readers on and it messed with my vision causing me to miss the step]...ouch, son of a..." She said "Did you fall?" Ah man, life sure has a way of humbling you, even when your wife doesn't. :dodgy:
Rocky_imp said:
Nice piece of work. Good job :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The A-man_imp said:
Nice job, Phadreus!
Thx gents, mighty kind of ya!
 
The question begs why would they be missing? Why was someone else in there?

Crazy.

Good diagnosis and fix!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
The question begs why would they be missing? Why was someone else in there?

Crazy.

Good diagnosis and fix!
I can't figure that out either. There are no signs the Instrument Cluster was ever damaged in an accident or something, it all looks original, and everything else works just fine...it's quite the mystery.

Thx Ferret!

BTW Ferret, I think you are only about two hours from me, South/Southwest I think.
 
Since the bike was purchased used recently, the previous owner or dealer would know, since it did not leave the factory that way. If the clock couldn't be set, or the trip mileages reset, it would have been covered under warranty new by the dealer. The reset extension pieces are usually held in by a foam ring and would not drop out by themselves.

The white plastic panel is the structure that holds everything together in the instruments - the covers, the printed circuit and gauges themselves, and the studs that mount it to the top triple clamp. However, it has never been available separately from Honda on any year CB1100.

As mentioned in prior forum threads, there are suppliers of complete meter assemblies without the actual printed circuit and gauges on eBay, but they likely wouldn't include the separate extension pieces or any other small hardware pieces.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Since the bike was purchased used recently, the previous owner or dealer would know, since it did not leave the factory that way. If the clock couldn't be set, or the trip mileages reset, it would have been covered under warranty new by the dealer. The reset extension pieces are usually held in by a foam ring and would not drop out by themselves.

The white plastic panel is the structure that holds everything together in the instruments - the covers, the printed circuit and gauges themselves, and the studs that mount it to the top triple clamp. However, it has never been available separately from Honda on any year CB1100.

As mentioned in prior forum threads, there are suppliers of complete meter assemblies without the actual printed circuit and gauges on eBay, but they likely wouldn't include the separate extension pieces or any other small hardware pieces.
Good info PD. I contacted the previous owner and he acknowledged the original owner who purchased new told him he lost the "little pieces" that make the switches work. He did not tell him why he was messing around in the Instrument Cluster in the first place. The seller I purchased it from thought he would have to buy an entire new Instrument Cluster for ~$300 and did not bother with it.

This is the only other source I found for any of the parts which make up the Instrument Cluster assembly:

https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/honda/2014/cb1100/meter

The Actuator Rods are available, 2 for ~$33...much more costly than my DIY Rods. :P
pdedse_imp said:
Great story! Logically thought out with a positive result.
All positive except the humbling trip on the stairs I took. :s :D
 
That's weird... I'd always wonder what happened, but great to hear that you were able to diagnose it and come up with a simple, elegant solution.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's weird... I'd always wonder what happened, but great to hear that you were able to diagnose it and come up with a simple, elegant solution.
And cost effective! Leaves more money for other, cooler things on the bike. :thumbsup:
 
I'm impressed:

(a) with your diagnosis and repair; and
(b) you survived tripping on the stairs.

Nice work all round.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm impressed:

(a) with your diagnosis and repair; and
(b) you survived tripping on the stairs.

Nice work all round.
It takes real talent to trip going up stairs.

Thx Cormanus! :cool:

Houtman_imp said:
I am very impressed that you " pinned" the problem so cheaply .
Wah wah wah...it was really more of a MacGyver operation truth be told. :D
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm impressed:

(a) with your diagnosis and repair; and
(b) you survived tripping on the stairs.

Nice work all round.
It takes real talent to trip going up stairs.

Thx Cormanus! :cool:

Houtman_imp said:
I am very impressed that you " pinned" the problem so cheaply .
Wah wah wah...it was really more of a MacGyver operation truth be told. :D
It takes real talent to trip going up stairs.

Thx Cormanus! :cool:

Houtman_imp said:
I am very impressed that you " pinned" the problem so cheaply .
Wah wah wah...it was really more of a MacGyver operation truth be told. :D
Phadreus, now we have a bit more complicated assignment for you: find the OEM push rods :P
 
Back
Top