Installing New Grips

Joola_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I just received the Pro Grip 719 open end gel grips I ordered but I've never switched out grips myself before. Anyone whose done this with their CB have any pointers? Do I need to cut off the old grips or can I pry them off? Do I need to buy glue for the new grips (they didn't come with any)?

Any advice is appreciated!
 
I can't address the CB1100, but I've replaced grips on a number of my bikes. They vary in what is required as you might expect. An air compressor helps a ton. On open grips like the Honda has, simply put your needle valve in you air compressor hose, slightly insert it under the end of the grip while encircling the end of the grip closest to the controls and when a little air is applied, the old girp can be simply slipped or "walked" off. The new grip can be attached pretty much the same way. Most new grips I have used are so tacky that glue is not needed. If your throttle grip is glued on, prepare for a long day.
 
On past bikes I didn't bother trying to 'be nice' to the old grips. I just slit the old grips open with a knife and peeled them off. Be careful cutting on the throttle side for obvious reasons. Done in a minute of less glued on or not. No preparation, no air. If the old grips were glued on add to that a few minutes using a solvent/scraper to get the old glue off of the bars.
 
I've done this dozens of times.

Slip a long slim dull or rounded screwdriver under the grip all the way in. Use the straw on a can of wd 40 and insert it next to the screwdriver and spray.
Remove the screwdriver and twist - the grip will slide right off.

Clean the inside thoroughly for re-installation.

To install use no glue. Liberally spray Windex inside the grip (the alcohol dries quickly and the soap aids installation and when dry acts as a glue) and slide the grip in place, let it dry over night.

I never ever use glue to install grips.
 
Dynaguy_imp said:
I can't address the CB1100, but I've replaced grips on a number of my bikes. They vary in what is required as you might expect. An air compressor helps a ton. On open grips like the Honda has, simply put your needle valve in you air compressor hose, slightly insert it under the end of the grip while encircling the end of the grip closest to the controls and when a little air is applied, the old girp can be simply slipped or "walked" off. The new grip can be attached pretty much the same way. Most new grips I have used are so tacky that glue is not needed. If your throttle grip is glued on, prepare for a long day.
+1. Warm soapy water or an aerosol hair spray will make it easier to install the grips. Makes 'em slippery enough to slide right on, just make sure they're aligned fairly quickly, especially with the hair spray.
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
I've done this dozens of times.

Slip a long slim dull or rounded screwdriver under the grip all the way in. Use the straw on a can of wd 40 and insert it next to the screwdriver and spray.
Remove the screwdriver and twist - the grip will slide right off.

Clean the inside thoroughly for re-installation.

To install use no glue. Liberally spray Windex inside the grip (the alcohol dries quickly and the soap aids installation and when dry acts as a glue) and slide the grip in place, let it dry over night.

I never ever use glue to install grips.
I'll have to try it this way next time !
 
Just helped my buddy do grip swap on his thruxton. Since we didn't have a air compressor, which makes grip changes the easiest thing ever, we used WD40 to get the old ones off and hairspray when putting them on as others have said above. Works every time.
 
Thread starter
All excellent tips. Thanks guys. I'll be swapping my grips and mirrors out tonight in prep for a nice weekend of riding.
 
Late to the party but I use the air compressor to blow off the old grips and blow on the new grips.

I assume you know the softer thinner grip goes on the throttle side

On 719s the pattern needs to be paid attention to in the grip, think about how your hand goes around them, then orient before installation

Here is how I orient mine


 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Late to the party but I use the air compressor to blow off the old grips and blow on the new grips.

I assume you know the softer thinner grip goes on the throttle side

On 719s the pattern needs to be paid attention to in the grip, think about how your hand goes around them, then orient before installation

Here is how I orient mine




Thanks Ferret. You're the reason I went with these particular grips. I'll be sure to pay attention to the orientation when I install them.
 
Joola_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Late to the party but I use the air compressor to blow off the old grips and blow on the new grips.

I assume you know the softer thinner grip goes on the throttle side

On 719s the pattern needs to be paid attention to in the grip, think about how your hand goes around them, then orient before installation

Here is how I orient mine




Thanks Ferret. You're the reason I went with these particular grips. I'll be sure to pay attention to the orientation when I install them.

Thanks Ferret. You're the reason I went with these particular grips. I'll be sure to pay attention to the orientation when I install them.

Good grips..softer than stock but still have give, absorb vibes, and feel good in the hands with or without gloves.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone for your helpful hints. I opted for the WD40 + Windex route and everything swapped out smoothly. The only hiccup I encountered was removing the throttle side bar end weight. The entire assembly was spinning freely and the screw wasn't coming out. I had to really press the end weight toward the bike in order the get the screw to come out.
 
Good deal. Post up a pic so we can see the emgo mirrors as well as the grips
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Good deal. Post up a pic so we can see the emgo mirrors as well as the grips
Unfortunately the Emgo mirror thread spacing isn't compatible with the CB11. I ordered universal 10mm threaded mnirrors thinking that'd work but I guess not. :@ I'll return them and look for something new.

Pics once I get that sorted out.
 
Anybody have trouble with the length of this grip? Mine weren't installed properly and there is a gap. Does the grip come in different lengths? The dealer only shows 122mm for the pro grip 719 openended
 
Yep there might be a bit of a gap, but there will be plenty of grip for your hand. Just make sure the grip isn't up against the switch assy which could keep it from returning to idle.
 
My daughter showed up at the house one day a while back and showed me the Biltwell grips she installed on her Sportster. I rode around the hood and once back in the driveway commented that I liked the feel and color. Recently she ordered a Biltwell helmet and picked up a set of grips for me and dropped them off Tuesday of last week. While cutting off the old grips I was really surprised how thin they were looking at them in cross section. The Biltwells on the other hand are pretty thick towards the middle, almost like a palm swell on a nice over/under shotgun stock. One of the benefits of that swell is that I don't have excess glove material in the palm area any longer. I use unlined Deer Leather gloves in the summer .

Riding around with them over the past few days it SEEMS like there may be a little less vibe feedback (although I'm one of those that never thought it was bad to begin with).

Link to the grips below. I had to dremel out the ends so I could reinsert some aftermarket bar weights. Install was straight forward with just a little gap on the throttle side next to the switch housing. Before putting the grips on I painted the throttle housing black with a sharpie. Don't even notice the gap now. I have them in the Ox Blood color.

https://www.biltwellinc.com/p307/buy/parts-amp-accessories/grips/recoil/-recoil-grips-oxblood/

Since my daughter footed the $17.98 plus shipping I'm pretty happy (considering they were a gift and I got them for free).
 
Frulk_imp said:
My daughter showed up at the house one day a while back and showed me the Biltwell grips she installed on her Sportster. I rode around the hood and once back in the driveway commented that I liked the feel and color. Recently she ordered a Biltwell helmet and picked up a set of grips for me and dropped them off Tuesday of last week. While cutting off the old grips I was really surprised how thin they were looking at them in cross section. The Biltwells on the other hand are pretty thick towards the middle, almost like a palm swell on a nice over/under shotgun stock. One of the benefits of that swell is that I don't have excess glove material in the palm area any longer. I use unlined Deer Leather gloves in the summer .

Riding around with them over the past few days it SEEMS like there may be a little less vibe feedback (although I'm one of those that never thought it was bad to begin with).

Link to the grips below. I had to dremel out the ends so I could reinsert some aftermarket bar weights. Install was straight forward with just a little gap on the throttle side next to the switch housing. Before putting the grips on I painted the throttle housing black with a sharpie. Don't even notice the gap now. I have them in the Ox Blood color.

https://www.biltwellinc.com/p307/buy/parts-amp-accessories/grips/recoil/-recoil-grips-oxblood/

Since my daughter footed the $17.98 plus shipping I'm pretty happy (considering they were a gift and I got them for free).
:rofl: ... man you guys are picky
 
Back
Top