Installation of a Smart Turn System [No Cut Mod]

LayerCake_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
As promised, though a bit delayed, here's the installation of the Smart Turn System on my 2017 RS.

For those who don't know what it is, it's basically automatic indicator cancellation based on lean angle acceleration etc. here's their homepage.

Instead of cutting into the main electrical harness like mentioned in the guide I figured this could be done without any cuts with some additional plugs. By coincident I found the [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJGVJRG]correct ones on Amazon though I still don't know what the name of them is (throw it in the comments if you know so I can label them correctly).

As this is very specific to the model year of CB I won't give any guide on which pin on the plug does what.




I started out by preparing the wiring but not yet installing the plugs since I did not check how much space there was to insert the cables but there is plenty so fully assembled would have been fine. One plug has 4 wires the other 5 so no need to mark the white plugs as long as you are careful.




Since the preinstalled cable on the module is pretty short and the box needs to be mounted level with the ground and with the logo arrow facing up in drive direction I figured I needed to mount it under the tank. After some struggles with the tank that placement was already out of range for the cable length so I decided on a stainless steel angle mounted to the cooler.



I forgot to take photos of the required mod of the indicator switch and since it has some easy to loose parts I don't feel like taking it apart again (sorry). It works pretty much as shown in their guides but you need to completely remove the switch from the housing as the places to insert the foam are on the back side of the switch. The place the wires exit the housing has a small plastic cover flap make sure not to loose it.

It all works pretty well and first try on the wiring. :blush: I might still design a better mounting bracket but it works just fine as is.

In the future I'll add a Smart Brake Module and a wireless charging phone holder both also no cut mods as by chance the option connectors on the bike are predestined for them.
 
What is smart brake module?

I have a flashing LED bulb that is both plug and play- and cheap.

I wouldn't mind the blinkers turning off though.

What is the cost?
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
What is smart brake module?

I have a flashing LED bulb that is both plug and play- and cheap.

I wouldn't mind the blinkers turning off though.

What is the cost?
The smart brake module turns on your brake lights when you decelerate using engine braking it can either flash or just turn it on permanently during deceleration without using the actual brakes.

Both modules are around 70€ each here in Germany from third parties, directly from the manufacturer they are a bit more expensive but you get longer warranty.
 
LayerCake_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What is smart brake module?

I have a flashing LED bulb that is both plug and play- and cheap.

I wouldn't mind the blinkers turning off though.

What is the cost?
The smart brake module turns on your brake lights when you decelerate using engine braking it can either flash or just turn it on permanently during deceleration without using the actual brakes.

Both modules are around 70€ each here in Germany from third parties, directly from the manufacturer they are a bit more expensive but you get longer warranty.
The smart brake module turns on your brake lights when you decelerate using engine braking it can either flash or just turn it on permanently during deceleration without using the actual brakes.

Both modules are around 70€ each here in Germany from third parties, directly from the manufacturer they are a bit more expensive but you get longer warranty.
Does it incorporate a sort of IMU sensor which upon the module makes the decisions?
 
Long gone Harley had self cancelling turn signals. Took me a while to get used to them. The Harley indicator lights were so tiny....on a bright, sunny day you couldn't tell if the indicators were flashing or not.
 
... also long time ago the '76 Yamaha RD400 had self-cancelling signals, and they did not have the fancy electronics and firmware of today using IMUs and such.

I would say signal cancellation reliability back then was about 90%.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
LayerCake_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What is smart brake module?

I have a flashing LED bulb that is both plug and play- and cheap.

I wouldn't mind the blinkers turning off though.

What is the cost?
The smart brake module turns on your brake lights when you decelerate using engine braking it can either flash or just turn it on permanently during deceleration without using the actual brakes.

Both modules are around 70€ each here in Germany from third parties, directly from the manufacturer they are a bit more expensive but you get longer warranty.
The smart brake module turns on your brake lights when you decelerate using engine braking it can either flash or just turn it on permanently during deceleration without using the actual brakes.

Both modules are around 70€ each here in Germany from third parties, directly from the manufacturer they are a bit more expensive but you get longer warranty.
Does it incorporate a sort of IMU sensor which upon the module makes the decisions?
Yeah that seems to be the case they only mention four sensors are being used but it must be something along the lines of acceleration sensor, gyroscope, and/or inertial mesurement unit.
 
LayerCake_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
LayerCake_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What is smart brake module?

I have a flashing LED bulb that is both plug and play- and cheap.

I wouldn't mind the blinkers turning off though.

What is the cost?
The smart brake module turns on your brake lights when you decelerate using engine braking it can either flash or just turn it on permanently during deceleration without using the actual brakes.

Both modules are around 70€ each here in Germany from third parties, directly from the manufacturer they are a bit more expensive but you get longer warranty.
The smart brake module turns on your brake lights when you decelerate using engine braking it can either flash or just turn it on permanently during deceleration without using the actual brakes.

Both modules are around 70€ each here in Germany from third parties, directly from the manufacturer they are a bit more expensive but you get longer warranty.
Does it incorporate a sort of IMU sensor which upon the module makes the decisions?
Yeah that seems to be the case they only mention four sensors are being used but it must be something along the lines of acceleration sensor, gyroscope, and/or inertial mesurement unit.
Yeah that seems to be the case they only mention four sensors are being used but it must be something along the lines of acceleration sensor, gyroscope, and/or inertial mesurement unit.
Yeah, IMUs - especially the 3-axis types are ultra cheap now. Many modern motorcycles (e.g. the 202x Honda Africa Twin) use 6-axis units to help manage aspects of the ECU.
 
I understand the concerns about positioning the sensor module, under the tank in upright position must be challenging. But are you sure the box is gonna survive heat and water in the position shown ? That would be my biggest concern.

@powerdubs, never thought of this, ... can your flashing bulb flash at different frequencies (user selected) ?
 
Thread starter
j3gq_imp said:
I understand the concerns about positioning the sensor module, under the tank in upright position must be challenging. But are you sure the box is gonna survive heat and water in the position shown ? That would be my biggest concern.

@powerdubs, never thought of this, ... can your flashing bulb flash at different frequencies (user selected) ?
I can't be 100% sure I guess time will tell.
The manual does not mention water ingress and it seems to have a seal were the wire exits the box. It does mention staying away from direct heat but I think that should not be a big problem at the current position.
Since I forgot to mention it here and only mentioned it in one of the "what did you do to your CB" threads and got PMed about it here some more information.

I'm personally pretty happy with the mod but there are some things to keep in mind.
Changing a lane right in front of a traffic light might lead to you needing to turn on the signal again once you stop at the light.
Some people have had issues during installation according to the reviews, those issues mostly sound to me like selecting the wrong thickness of foam pad for the indicator switch mod.
For the CB I used the smaller pads and they work just fine for me.
Sometimes when you change lanes very slowly it won't register immediately and the indicators will stay on a little longer until the timeout or you could flip the switch a second time to turn it off manually.
YMMV
 
I think your connectors are SUMITOMO HM series. A good source for these, amongst other things, is Eastern Beaver. I used them when I added and wired in my own aux lamps to my Africa Twin which allowed you to feed back into the dash and activate the Honda Aux light on it.

He does some nice relayed/fused power solutions too. Nothing you couldn't make yourself but very convenient.

Automotive Connectors
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
I think your connectors are SUMITOMO HM series. A good source for these, amongst other things, is Eastern Beaver. I used them when I added and wired in my own aux lamps to my Africa Twin which allowed you to feed back into the dash and activate the Honda Aux light on it.

He does some nice relayed/fused power solutions too. Nothing you couldn't make yourself but very convenient.

Automotive Connectors
Thank you for that link it was very helpful.

These connectors are not the HM series though I already ordered the HM 090 set for other mods that do use these on the bike.

On the site you linked I could figure out that these are also SUMITOMO but the MTW .110” series which do not have seals. (Sometimes called Hitachi connectors)
7bda4da7e86b91bfe3106cd4f78732ce.jpg
 
My Guzzi has self cancelling signals but the timeout is 40 seconds or 1/3 of a mile which might as well be forever. I just turn them off like my other bikes.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
My Guzzi has self cancelling signals but the timeout is 40 seconds or 1/3 of a mile which might as well be forever. I just turn them off like my other bikes.
I did not know that.

What if you are at a long stop light for two minutes. Will it still cancel after 40 seconds, or is a turning action and acceleration still required?
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
My Guzzi has self cancelling signals but the timeout is 40 seconds or 1/3 of a mile which might as well be forever. I just turn them off like my other bikes.
I did not know that.

What if you are at a long stop light for two minutes. Will it still cancel after 40 seconds, or is a turning action and acceleration still required?
I'd guess it's somewhat like what my brother's VN 1500 does it checks every 8 seconds if it has moved by at least 65 meters and if so turns it of.
 
Back
Top