amacbeth_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
Wondering if anyone has any comments/experience/knowledge about installing a 6-speed transmission on a 2013? Is it possible? Are major modifications necessary?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Mine is 6 speed, and I tend to agree for most riding. BUT on longer distances the lower rpms and higher gas mileage matter ... if you do such trips. Just wouldn’t bother trading a 5sp for a 6sp for that reason.Mixagon_imp said:Surely I'm not the only one who prefers 5 speed.
I think with 6 speed your changing gear way to much for very little gain if any.
1985CB450_imp said:As noted above unless you are racking up lots of highway miles having that 6th gear is not really a factor.
Max tq on this bike is at 5000 rpm so steady cruise at 4000 rpm or so keeps you right under the tq peak which means downshifting is not required in the event you need to quickly accelerate. I’d advise against running around town at 2500 rpm in 6th. If you get in a tight spot and need to accelerate quickly you are gonna need a downshift. Just because the bike will run 6th down low like that does not mean it’s ideal.
All my riding is city in the Dallas metroplex, many times I’ve had to quickly roll on the throttle to avoid distracted drivers. Regardless of speed if the revs fall below 3500 I’m looking for a lower gear.
A lot of bikes won’t tolerate lugging, my Monster 1100 was a 3 speed unless you were doing 50+ Mph
I'm fairly certain you are, actually.m in sc_imp said:I'm fairly certain you are, actually.Mixagon_imp said:Surely I'm not the only one who prefers 5 speed.
I think with 6 speed your changing gear way to much for very little gain if any.
I'm fairly certain you are, actually.m in sc_imp said:I'm fairly certain you are, actually.Mixagon_imp said:Surely I'm not the only one who prefers 5 speed.
I think with 6 speed your changing gear way to much for very little gain if any.
You only notice the benefit of a slipper clutch if you downshift too early like an inexperienced rider. Those who have the natural feel and mechanical sympathy for their bike, which comes from experience, shouldn't notice the benefit.PowerDubs_imp said:"I would however trade any pre17 for one of the rare EX. Simply the more fine-tuned model."
Only true improvement in my mind is the front forks, while the gas tank looks goofy. And has a slipper clutch if you care about such things... I own a bike with one and haven't noticed a benefit.
PowerDubs_imp said:1985CB450_imp said:As noted above unless you are racking up lots of highway miles having that 6th gear is not really a factor.
Max tq on this bike is at 5000 rpm so steady cruise at 4000 rpm or so keeps you right under the tq peak which means downshifting is not required in the event you need to quickly accelerate. I’d advise against running around town at 2500 rpm in 6th. If you get in a tight spot and need to accelerate quickly you are gonna need a downshift. Just because the bike will run 6th down low like that does not mean it’s ideal.
All my riding is city in the Dallas metroplex, many times I’ve had to quickly roll on the throttle to avoid distracted drivers. Regardless of speed if the revs fall below 3500 I’m looking for a lower gear.
A lot of bikes won’t tolerate lugging, my Monster 1100 was a 3 speed unless you were doing 50+ Mph
This bike isn’t ..that…
These bikes- even stock will run at 2500 all day long.
There is no such thing as lugging a modern CB 1100 unless you are a complete bonehead.
![]()
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You only notice the benefit of a slipper clutch if you downshift too early like an inexperienced rider. Those who have the natural feel and mechanical sympathy for their bike, which comes from experience, shouldn't notice the benefit.Tev62_imp said:You only notice the benefit of a slipper clutch if you downshift too early like an inexperienced rider. Those who have the natural feel and mechanical sympathy for their bike, which comes from experience, shouldn't notice the benefit.PowerDubs_imp said:"I would however trade any pre17 for one of the rare EX. Simply the more fine-tuned model."
Only true improvement in my mind is the front forks, while the gas tank looks goofy. And has a slipper clutch if you care about such things... I own a bike with one and haven't noticed a benefit.
It’s a good question, Dubs. Given when I ride distances I like winding roads, I’ve no real need for 6 gears. When I do have to take a freeway, I’d probably appreciate the extra gear. But, if I had a chance to trade mine for a 6-gear model (unlikely, as I don’t think there are any in Australia) I wouldn’t take it unless the deal was just too good to pass up.PowerDubs_imp said:Wouldn’t bother /= prefer.
Given both options, same exact bike in every way- AND having rode both to feel the difference- would you still choose the 5?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ferret_imp said:Yea, I don't ride anywhere near metroplexes. Been riding 57 years, 48 states, 2 provinces in Canda, 5 countries in Europe and have never needed " immediate escape velocity".
Riding the CB 1100 at 2500 rpms is not lugging it. Any liter class Japanese I-4 will do it with ease. Won't hurt it at all. Either will running it all day at 8,000 rpms. Owners decide how they choose to ride their bikes and anywhere from 2,000 rpms to near redline is aceptable, all day every day.
Euro bikes I have ridden never seem to like to run below 4000 rpms. Just the nature of the beasts. My sons Ducati will not run 3500 rpms in 6th, it WILL lug, chug, buck
Matter of fact my NC 750 DCT was designed by Honda to run in that 2500-3500 rev range per the transmission algorithm and it has nowhere near the hp or torque of a liter class I-4.