Inline 4cyl vibration

thessler3_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am close to buying a CB1100 and my only concern is the typical inline 4 cylinder high frequency buzzy vibration often found on I4 engines which is particularly bothersome to me. I have owned over thirty bikes since 1968, in many different engine configurations including singles, parallel twins, triples, I4's, V4's and sixes. I am a retired scientist, but will try to keep my explanations simple. "Primary" vibrations are out-of-balance forces that occur at the engine RPM. "Secondary" vibrations occur at twice engine speed. Most vibrations increase substantially with both displacement and RPM. Most inline 4 engines have 180 degree crankpin separation. When cylinders 1 and 4 are at TDC (top-dead-center), cylinders 2 and 3 are at BDC and vice versa. This gives excellent primary balance. Secondary imbalances are caused by differences in piston speed in the upper half of piston travel versus the speeds in the lower half of the travel. Hard to explain, but Wikipedia does it better than me. I attached a link. I4 engines with 180 degree cranks have substantial secondary vibration. This has been known since the early 1900's when Dr. Lanchester wrote on the subject. I4 balancer shafts are engineered to run at twice engine speed and to counter some of the secondary vibes. A single balancer shaft will help, but dual shafts work better. The CB1100 has a single balancer shaft and one rubber engine mount. I have attached a diagram to explain the primary and secondary forces and links to a couple of interesting web pages. I hope it is helpful. If any forum members are interested, I can also explain the vibrations of the v-twins, triples and sixes. Just say so, and I will add those posts.
Balance shaft - Wikipedia
http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth1.htm
for v-twins http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/V-TWIN-7.html
http://what-when-how.com/automobile/engine-balance-automobile/
all twins http://dinamoto.it/dinamoto/index_eng.html
 
Coming from a V twin (Moto Guzzi) the CB1100 does have a bit of buzz at freeway speeds (the Guzzi has a vibration but it's low frequency and not an issue, kinda like a power pulse). Around town the CB has no vibration to speak of.
 
The 90-dgree V-Twin I sold to buy the CB was said to have "perfect primary balance". It seemed ok to me, but the CB felt much smoother. I just rode the new version of the Vee at Bike Week, and it felt like an over-revved steam engine after the CB. Of course neither bike can hold a candle to the Shovelthead Harley I rode for 20+ years. That thing shook itself to death; parts would fall off, the points would unadjust themselves, passengers would need therapy, etc.

Guess its just a matter of expectations vs. perceptions.
 
I currently own nine bikes. By far, and I mean by far, the CB1100 is the smoothest motorcycle I own. In fact, I would go so far as to say that other than Honda's Gold Wing or ST1300, the CB1100 is the smoothest bike I have ridden. Vibration is simply not an issue with this bike.
 
Man i would think it would be hard for a scientist to be happy with anything.

I agree with Deanohh. I'd definitely ride one before buying so you know EXACTLY what you are getting in to.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Man i would think it would be hard for a scientist to be happy with anything.

I agree with Deanohh. I'd definitely ride one before buying so you know EXACTLY what you are getting in to.
Ignorance is often blissful.
 
This is one of the smoothest I4's I've owned and I have owned quite a few, three at present. I would just say the vibration, compared to any I4, is unremarkable, and definitely on the smoother side of the spectrum, especially at cruising speeds. I expect the new six-speed box to be even smoother as the RPM's are a little lower. The new Interceptor, though, might be the ticket for you as the Honda V4 tends to be very nice all the way around.
 
You can pick up a used 2013 for pretty cheap.

But to answer your question. This bike is like a nicely broken in acoustic guitar. The more it is used the better it runs. Or like a electric guitar amp with a saggy rectifier. Each burst of acceleration blooms, there is the slightest hesitation, but it is very rewarding once it comes into its own.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for everyone's advice. I did test ride the CB1100 about a week ago but the test ride was too short to gain my complete confidence. I found it is smooth in top gear at about 70MPH but had some buzzy spots here and there. By the way, it is true that scientists can be picky. I chose the bikes I own because I am hyper sensitive to vibration in my right arm/hand, probably from 50 years of riding bikes that vibrate. I have a Gold Wing, a '73 Ducati 750GT and a Tuono V4 in my garage. I recently sold a 2007 VFR800. All are smoother than the CB1100 and none put my hands to sleep like a few other bikes I have owned. Yes, I am a bit anal. I have made a few mistakes before - buying bikes that I quickly disliked for one reason or another, so I ask the advice of others who own the bikes I am interested in. There is a lot I like about the Cb1100 - nice seat, beautiful paint, air-cooled, simple, etcetera. Again, thanks for everyone's advice.
 
For what it's worth, Thessler, the seat might look good, but it is hard on the arse after an hour or so.
 
I get closer to two hours. Stock seat on the Quota was good for twenty minutes or so. Stock seat on the Griso is about a half hour, 650L, I've gone two to three hours. The CB is roughly an hour.

My old KZ550 Ltd was the worst and I toured on that sucker. sigh...
 
For me, personally, vibes are not an issue with this bike. Up to 100-110 km/h (legal speed in Australia) it's not a personal issue, even for hours of sustained use. Overtakes in 5th are a breeze. I was a bit surprised how well it goes on the highway with a small screen (and some earplugs!). There may be a little bit of numbness in little finger of right hand after a couple of hours, but that goes within 10 min off the bike (like for a fuel stop). That might be more to do with the wind and the thin gloves I use. I had a 2008 VFR before this bike. If I wanted to compare, then the VFR in 6th gear is less 'vibey' on the highway, but in a different way, obviously. I know people are hanging out for a 6th gear. It would reduce the RPMs but personally I'm happy with 5 gears at speed and have proven recently that it runs happily on the highway with no issues. Lucky for me, as Australia isn't getting any 2014 models anyway. YMMV.

Cheers,

Andy.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
For what it's worth, Thessler, the seat might look good, but it is hard on the arse after an hour or so.
Yes it is, for me, a couple hours is all I can do before I need to get a prostate massage.

Tends to bunch the tighty-whities, shall we say.
 
I don't understand the seat and vibration concerns some seem to have. I find the seat fine after an hour and there is very little vibration.
 
Dakota_imp said:
I don't understand the seat and vibration concerns some seem to have. I find the seat fine after an hour and there is very little vibration.
This seat on our CB fits my ass just fine even after a 500 mile day
last 8-10 bikes I have had needed an aftermarket seat
I lucked out on this one
 
Seats are a very personal thing. I find the CB seat good for two hours before I need to take a break but I don't think it's as bad as some. Best seat I ever had was on my Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva. I found it all day comfy but some on the Guzzi forum hated it. A personal thing.

What little vibration the CB has is not at all annoying to me. The CB seems especially smooth at 82+mph. Those CB's that seem to have excessive vibration may need to have the throttle bodies synced and the motor mounts checked for proper torque.
 
I did a 20 mile stretch at 80 mph on the interstate this morning. I was really enjoying how smooth the bike is at that speed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Thanks to everyone for their comments about CB1100 vibration. My test ride was only about 10 miles and too short for a real evaluation. I did find the engine smooth at about 70mph. A lot smoother than the Ninja 1000 I also took a test ride on. Perhaps a touch smoother than the FZ-1 which is a nice bike if not for the stepped seat. FZ-1's get crappy reviews but I think they are nice bikes if not for my dislike of the seat.

The CB1100 seat felt comfy for me but I am comparing to a Tuono V4 "comfort" seat that is about 1/2inch thick and hard as a rock. I am a big guy (6'1"" and 250lbs) and hate the bikes with 2 piece, stepped seats. They don't give my big butt enough room to slide backwards.

Thanks again for all the good advice.
 
Back
Top