Indians...what are the chances?

Very very very jealous! In my small country they sold all 5 bikes imported in first week after they announced them. The prices are high, around 26 000 USD for Chieftain. I´d like to tesst ride it one day. In the meantime I have to stay with original.
 
I idled through traffic in Yosemite alongside a new Indian for a while. Dude was a BMW guy, but just picked it up. He seemed pretty happy. Not my cup of tea, but it looked we built, didn't rattle apart, and I enjoyed listening to his stereo. Seems like they did a pretty good job on that one.
 
The new Indian is a nice alternative to the run of the mill HD.
I know Polaris Industries has the bucks to do Indian right, this time around.
Not my cup of tea either; but I do admire Polaris Industries for taking on the task and breathing life back into a legendary brand name of the USA motorcycle industry, Indian.
 
Never rode a cruzer, never had interest. But I like the Indian and oh those leather bags and seat. Talk about the ultimate retro! The weight make me nervous. If a dealer ever comes I would like to try an extended test ride.

And glad Polaris is doing it, the other efforts were a joke. The brand deserved better and I hope it makes it this time. But I hear from locks
Dealers too much cost and demands to become a dealership. I hope the change that issue.
 
I saw one splitting on 101 the other day approaching San Jose, sure did look good.. A little big and bulky for me to want to split, but to each his own.

That was also my first sighting in the wild if you don't count the demo ride I did last month.
Looking forward to seeing lots more of them out there. Maybe I will buy one some day if I win the lottery or get a job with double my current salary or something.
 
I've test rode one. It's a big big bike. I think I'd rather go for the MG 1400 California; but the Indians are getting very good rightups and they say they handle very well.
 
I stopped by a local place here (Iron Pony) that's also an Indian dealership. I agree with Rboe, It's a big bike. Not a fringe fan, but it's still a neat retro bike if you're into cruisers.
 


I rode my "101" Scout (on the left) to a small pre-winter gathering of Czech Indian owners this weekend. I´m not in the photo the guy who is leaning above my bike has a ´27 Scout. We are deep in autumn rigtht now so only two old Indians attended but we had a great moments chatting and talking in a nice pub.

The scout is a great driver, its low and long frame and 45ci engine are about right to enjoy the countryside roads. Doesn´t disappoint me although it is almost 90 years old...
 
Thread starter
Very cool VTR! Bet you get plenty of looks and questions when out riding the old Indian.
 
I've preached on Facebook to several motorcycle customizers and builders that what we need is a nice small bike like the old old days that resemble the early Harleys and Hendersons. Basically a bicycle frame with a single or V twin wheezing motor that has a top speed of, oh let's say 50mph so it could be ridden easily at 45mph in the City.

Kinda of a steam punk look with brass farkles, long narrow tank, leather tractor seat (or bicycle seat), skinny tires (but balloon types like mountain bikes, not 18 speed racers). Maybe even long skinny wooden running boards for the feet. :)

I bet something based on the Honda 110 engine would work out pretty good for this. Use the guts but a different bottom end casting to fit the period look with three or four speeds. If I win the lottery........

I have no idea if the market would support this idea even close to the numbers to make one consider it and keep the price where one could say "oh heck why not! This would be great to show off to the guys at the coffee shop!".

Those old early bicycle motorcycles have a certain charm to them that I think is missing with todays bikes.
 
Thread starter
Like a Honda 110 board track racer...I would LOVE to have one of those :thumbsup:
 
I test rode the new Scout and liked it. The seat was too low but there are alternative seats and pegs depending on how tall the rider is. I simply wanted the seat to be higher. Motor and transmission were good. Easy to shift up or down. Good power. It was a fun test ride. Must have been 12 miles or so thru the countryside. Not better than the CB11 but if you like a twin it had that twin feel. I think they source more USA made parts than Harley too! Made in Iowa. That's cool.
 
Back
Top