Indian Springfield

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Visited my local Indian dealer today just to browse. There was a black Springfield on the floor that really appealed to me. Sitting in the saddle, everything fell to hand, saddle felt good and the roomy floorboards were just right. It lifted easily off it's side stand, easier than my ST1300 as I remember. Standing back and imagining it without it's cruiser getup, it had the look of a large standard. The tires were of a size that seemed to fit the mission. Oh my, never thought I would like a cruiser this much. Only the price keeps me at bay, about $21000. I think I need a test ride.
 
Crikey, redbirds, that would be a change.
 
862 lbs wet! Man, at 750 I was having trouble getting my Valkyrie out of the garage. This would be like rolling the Valk out with my wife sitting on the back. It is pretty but, not something I would desire at this time in my life.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
 
Is this you, redbirds?



By the way, the price here is north of $33K Australian. More than twice the price of a CB1100 assuming one could buy a new one.
 
Thread starter
If I could afford the Indian I would not wish to sell my CB. Far as weight goes it wouldn't be more difficult to push around than my 740 lb, top heavy ST1300 was.
A passing fancy no doubt that will soon fade.
Cormanus_imp said:
Is this you, redbirds?



By the way, the price here is north of $33K Australian. More than twice the price of a CB1100 assuming one could buy a new one.
Could be but I would go for a far better helmet than that pudding bowl.
 
redbirds_imp said:
If I could afford the Indian I would not wish to sell my CB. Far as weight goes it wouldn't be more difficult to push around than my 740 lb, top heavy ST1300 was.
A passing fancy no doubt that will soon fade.
Cormanus_imp said:
Is this you, redbirds?



By the way, the price here is north of $33K Australian. More than twice the price of a CB1100 assuming one could buy a new one.
Could be but I would go for a far better helmet than that pudding bowl.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules.
 
Rules is made to be broken and who better to lead the charge than our redbirds who has steadfastly resisted the installation of RLETs on his CB1100? I, for one, would support him in not wearing that pudding basin helmet. He might as well tie an empty plastic ice cream tub to his head.
 
I would never wear a pudding bowl either.

I was being sarcastic when I posted the rules for joining any of the flocks of sheep I see parked in great numbers when I stop for numb bum break when riding.

Fortunately I seldom ride on weekends when they are set loose from their pens.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
If I could afford the Indian I would not wish to sell my CB. Far as weight goes it wouldn't be more difficult to push around than my 740 lb, top heavy ST1300 was.
A passing fancy no doubt that will soon fade.
Cormanus_imp said:
Is this you, redbirds?



By the way, the price here is north of $33K Australian. More than twice the price of a CB1100 assuming one could buy a new one.
Could be but I would go for a far better helmet than that pudding bowl.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules. Where in Canada are you?

Although I suspect it is the same all over - I lived in the Ottawa valley for 20 years before moving back to NB and it is exactly as you say in both provinces.

I've never been one to adhere to expected stereotypes and have been wearing a modular helmet on my '03 HD Night Train for years now. It just makes sense, if nothing else for bad weather. I also don't hang out at Tim Horton's looking at my bike in the parking lot.

The Indian is a nice looking bike and I'm sure it's well made, just too big and bulky for me.
 
Banned_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
If I could afford the Indian I would not wish to sell my CB. Far as weight goes it wouldn't be more difficult to push around than my 740 lb, top heavy ST1300 was.
A passing fancy no doubt that will soon fade.
Cormanus_imp said:
Is this you, redbirds?



By the way, the price here is north of $33K Australian. More than twice the price of a CB1100 assuming one could buy a new one.
Could be but I would go for a far better helmet than that pudding bowl.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules. Where in Canada are you?

Although I suspect it is the same all over - I lived in the Ottawa valley for 20 years before moving back to NB and it is exactly as you say in both provinces.

I've never been one to adhere to expected stereotypes and have been wearing a modular helmet on my '03 HD Night Train for years now. It just makes sense, if nothing else for bad weather. I also don't hang out at Tim Horton's looking at my bike in the parking lot.

The Indian is a nice looking bike and I'm sure it's well made, just too big and bulky for me.
I am in Ottawa. I live in a suburb called Stonebridge in the southwest part of the city. Where in the valley did you live?

I use to hang around a donut shop with my bike buddies in my twenties. We were quite content to sit there right after supper until almost midnight talking bikes. The only two days that were different were Friday and Saturday when a party was on.

I really didn't make any long trips until I joined the Ottawa Valley Touring Club in 1980. Bought an Aspencade Goldwing in 1982 when I became President of the club. Penny and I did a lot of travelling on the wing. Our longest trip was a Goldwing rally in Lake of the Ozarks west of St. Louis.

Now I stop for lunch at Tim Horton's if there are no suitable restaurants around. May also stop for an ice coffee and maple donut late in the afternoon on a hot summer's day.
 
Jhonda_imp said:
I own and ride a 2013 CB1100, and a 2016 Indian Springfield. Love em both.
Cool! :thumbsup:

A lot of those marketing photos from manufacturers seem to be heavily "photoshopped". In the desert on a sunny day and only a hint of shadow from the bike and rider. Also notice the motion blur filter applied to the sand and weeds on the side of the road, lol.

Sometimes I think the rider and bike are photographed in a studio and then inserted into a scenic photograph.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
If I could afford the Indian I would not wish to sell my CB. Far as weight goes it wouldn't be more difficult to push around than my 740 lb, top heavy ST1300 was.
A passing fancy no doubt that will soon fade.
Cormanus_imp said:
Is this you, redbirds?



By the way, the price here is north of $33K Australian. More than twice the price of a CB1100 assuming one could buy a new one.
Could be but I would go for a far better helmet than that pudding bowl.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules. Where in Canada are you?

Although I suspect it is the same all over - I lived in the Ottawa valley for 20 years before moving back to NB and it is exactly as you say in both provinces.

I've never been one to adhere to expected stereotypes and have been wearing a modular helmet on my '03 HD Night Train for years now. It just makes sense, if nothing else for bad weather. I also don't hang out at Tim Horton's looking at my bike in the parking lot.

The Indian is a nice looking bike and I'm sure it's well made, just too big and bulky for me.
I am in Ottawa. I live in a suburb called Stonebridge in the southwest part of the city. Where in the valley did you live?

I use to hang around a donut shop with my bike buddies in my twenties. We were quite content to sit there right after supper until almost midnight talking bikes. The only two days that were different were Friday and Saturday when a party was on.

I really didn't make any long trips until I joined the Ottawa Valley Touring Club in 1980. Bought an Aspencade Goldwing in 1982 when I became President of the club. Penny and I did a lot of travelling on the wing. Our longest trip was a Goldwing rally in Lake of the Ozarks west of St. Louis.

Now I stop for lunch at Tim Horton's if there are no suitable restaurants around. May also stop for an ice coffee and maple donut late in the afternoon on a hot summer's day.
I am in Ottawa. I live in a suburb called Stonebridge in the southwest part of the city. Where in the valley did you live?

I use to hang around a donut shop with my bike buddies in my twenties. We were quite content to sit there right after supper until almost midnight talking bikes. The only two days that were different were Friday and Saturday when a party was on.

I really didn't make any long trips until I joined the Ottawa Valley Touring Club in 1980. Bought an Aspencade Goldwing in 1982 when I became President of the club. Penny and I did a lot of travelling on the wing. Our longest trip was a Goldwing rally in Lake of the Ozarks west of St. Louis.

Now I stop for lunch at Tim Horton's if there are no suitable restaurants around. May also stop for an ice coffee and maple donut late in the afternoon on a hot summer's day.
I lived in Petawawa and logged tens of thousands of km on bikes on the roads in the Valley. Really nice area to live.

I could never get into sitting around the cafes looking at bikes when I could be riding them, also after 30 years the conversations about bikes seem to be all the same. Every time I have tried talking to one of the parking lot bike gangs they always talk about what they did to their bike as opposed to what they did on it. But they are free to enjoy their motorcycle as they see fit, I won't judge as I don't know their circumstances (maybe like me they are medically limited).
 
Banned_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
If I could afford the Indian I would not wish to sell my CB. Far as weight goes it wouldn't be more difficult to push around than my 740 lb, top heavy ST1300 was.
A passing fancy no doubt that will soon fade.
Cormanus_imp said:
Is this you, redbirds?



By the way, the price here is north of $33K Australian. More than twice the price of a CB1100 assuming one could buy a new one.
Could be but I would go for a far better helmet than that pudding bowl.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules.
Here you wouldn't be accepted by the cruiser crowds unless everything you wear, other than blue jeans, is black. Pudding bowls are mandatory for riding Harleys. You can get away with an open face helmet as long as it is black and your cruiser is something other than a Harley.

Dems da rules. Where in Canada are you?

Although I suspect it is the same all over - I lived in the Ottawa valley for 20 years before moving back to NB and it is exactly as you say in both provinces.

I've never been one to adhere to expected stereotypes and have been wearing a modular helmet on my '03 HD Night Train for years now. It just makes sense, if nothing else for bad weather. I also don't hang out at Tim Horton's looking at my bike in the parking lot.

The Indian is a nice looking bike and I'm sure it's well made, just too big and bulky for me.
I am in Ottawa. I live in a suburb called Stonebridge in the southwest part of the city. Where in the valley did you live?

I use to hang around a donut shop with my bike buddies in my twenties. We were quite content to sit there right after supper until almost midnight talking bikes. The only two days that were different were Friday and Saturday when a party was on.

I really didn't make any long trips until I joined the Ottawa Valley Touring Club in 1980. Bought an Aspencade Goldwing in 1982 when I became President of the club. Penny and I did a lot of travelling on the wing. Our longest trip was a Goldwing rally in Lake of the Ozarks west of St. Louis.

Now I stop for lunch at Tim Horton's if there are no suitable restaurants around. May also stop for an ice coffee and maple donut late in the afternoon on a hot summer's day.
I am in Ottawa. I live in a suburb called Stonebridge in the southwest part of the city. Where in the valley did you live?

I use to hang around a donut shop with my bike buddies in my twenties. We were quite content to sit there right after supper until almost midnight talking bikes. The only two days that were different were Friday and Saturday when a party was on.

I really didn't make any long trips until I joined the Ottawa Valley Touring Club in 1980. Bought an Aspencade Goldwing in 1982 when I became President of the club. Penny and I did a lot of travelling on the wing. Our longest trip was a Goldwing rally in Lake of the Ozarks west of St. Louis.

Now I stop for lunch at Tim Horton's if there are no suitable restaurants around. May also stop for an ice coffee and maple donut late in the afternoon on a hot summer's day.
I lived in Petawawa and logged tens of thousands of km on bikes on the roads in the Valley. Really nice area to live.

I could never get into sitting around the cafes looking at bikes when I could be riding them, also after 30 years the conversations about bikes seem to be all the same. Every time I have tried talking to one of the parking lot bike gangs they always talk about what they did to their bike as opposed to what they did on it. But they are free to enjoy their motorcycle as they see fit, I won't judge as I don't know their circumstances (maybe like me they are medically limited).
My current northeast terminal is Renfrew which is 1 1/2 hours from home using the back roads through Pakenham, White Lake, and Burnstown. I have 8 other maps from Renfrew to other destinations and their return routes. I am considering passing through Pembroke because I would like to ride 58 to Round Lake.

In the morning I stop for a butt rest and breakfast at McDonalds in Renfrew. On summer afternoons it's an iced coffee and maple donut at Tim Horton's. There are always bikers at Tim's. They all seem to know each other, but are friendly to strangers.

Lots of fun 500 roads in that area. From Eganville I like 512 to Foymount and 515 to Palmer Rapids. Or 512 to Brudenell, Opeongo Road 66 to Letterkenny Road, and Rockingham Road 68 to Combermere.

In the summer I ride from 8AM to 5PM, stopping ever 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I get tired, hungry, and sloppy in the corners if I don't make those stops.
 
I test-rode the Springfield during an Indian-demo day. Great bike! The engine was powerful and smooth for a V-Twin. The seating position and the seat itself were more comfortable than the CB.

I wouldn't commute with it but for long weekend rides, the Springfield would be a blast
 
Went riding today with a lady that had a Springfield, she looked comfortable on it but was quite slow on the country roads - even by my standards.
Massive bike, couple of Harley's with is but the Springfield stood out both for its color scheme and raw mass.
 
Back
Top