Increase fuel capacity?

4 Paws_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have a 2013 std, you know-the good looking red one.
Only honest gripe is fuel tank capacity and riding range between fuel ups.

Any solutions?
 
4 Paws_imp said:
I have a 2013 std, you know-the good looking red one.
Only honest gripe is fuel tank capacity and riding range between fuel ups.

Any solutions?
What kind of range are you getting? I have taken a 1 gal gas can strapped to my luggage rack just in case I run out in the middle of know where. And yes I have used it twice on long trips.
 
They make little fuel bottles. Probably hold a half gallon each. Stuff 2 in a tail pack or back pack if you are afraid of running out, but Dan you live in a very populated part of the country. Plenty of stations around you. You planning on doing some traveling?
 
I would never want to run a bike out or even real low that has an electric fuel pump .........
love the reserve leaver on my 76 CB750 .= only 36 MPG BTW
 
The ferret_imp said:
They make little fuel bottles. Probably hold a half gallon each. Stuff 2 in a tail pack or back pack if you are afraid of running out, but Dan you live in a very populated part of the country. Plenty of stations around you. You planning on doing some traveling?
Yup. I have an MSR fuel bottle that I keep in my gear for long trips. Small, convenient, and it's saved me more than once.
 
running out once, or nearly so, is the only way to find out how far you can really go ;)

I take my average figured out by filling, resetting trip B. Riding, refilling and see how many miles I have gone and how many gallons I have used

for example filled, trip B zeroed, rode 150 miles, refilled (and trip B re-zeroed), took 3 gals even to refill = 50 mpg.

Times fuel tank capacity of 3.9 gals for a std x 50 mpg = possible range of 195 miles before pushing

I have gone 225 miles on my dlx with 4.7 gal tank and still had .5 gal left in tank (took 4.2 to refill) so I figure in an emergency I could go 245-250 miles before pushing.

I don't "push" it though and usually fill up between 150 and 200 miles on a tank
 
I would be insanely happy if I could go 200 miles on a tank in my 2013 -- I get about 220kms before I get nervous and fill up.
 
kmoney, Ferret seems to have a peculiar affinity with petrol and gets extraordinary miles per gallon. I'm with you; I'm getting pretty nervous at 220 kms and don't ever want to go much past 230 kms.
 
But how full is full? Is it stand the bike straight and keep filling until it's right at the top of the cap opening and doesn't drop down anymore (which takes forever, needs mutiple pauses and I've heard people advise against)? Or is it fill up with the bike on the side stand and stop at the first cutoff? There's a substantial difference in traveling distance between the two...
 
rhtizzy filling above a certain point just dumps fuel back into the evap system thru an over flow hole, and those who have filled it on the side stand and then straightened the bike up and tried to put more in it (including myself) have found there is not really much to be gained, maybe 1/10th of a gallon.There is not a substantial difference in traveling distance between the two.

There are folks (like me) who through their riding style: smooth roll on roll offs of the throttle, early shifting and riding at low rpms, and cruising at relatively low speeds below 65 mph
their riding location: relatively flat land near sea level,
where they ride: 2 lane country roads, few stops and starts
are able to achieve better mileage than those who say..live in areas of congestion and stop and go on and off the throttle traffic and freeway travel over 70 mph and those who like to ride in a more sporting manner such as keeping the bike between 4K & 6K with runs to red line

I would venture to say after meeting and riding with 4Paws at the rally iin Virginia this year that he gets better mileage and better range on a tank than say Ulvetanna

I have seen reports of 36 mpg and I have seen reports of 64 mpg so obviously some people will be able to squeeze more out of a tank than others. That's why you figure YOUR average mpg and multuiply that by YOUR tank capacity to find YOUR range. (where you normally ride and in the manner you normally ride). Deviate from the norm and the numbers change, which must be taken into account.

If you are one of those who uses the bike in a more sporting manner, I'd venture to say you are not going to get more than 40 mpg, 156 miles or 251 KMs out of a 3.9 tank. However if you are one that gets say 53 mpg that will deliver 206 miles or 331 kms out of that same 3.9 gal tank.

I average about 55 mpg, sometimes a little more (rarely less) and with my 4.7 tank riding locally I can expect 258 miles or 415 kms from my tank and have indeed gone 225 miles 362 kms and still had .5 gallon of fuel remaining , taking 4.2 to refill.

math is math and given a set of variables it's easy to figure mpg and range.

Let me add that it's important to ride your bike so that it is enjoyable for you regardless of the mpg that results. Just take that into account when it comes to mpg and range. We are all not going to have the same results because our inputs are different.
 
Thread starter
I do have a spare fuel bottle and also ride conservatively so my mpg is probably in the enviable range for the more spirited riding crowd, I did exceed 60 mpg for one stretch (Skyline Dr.). The nuisance of limited range became an irritation on a recent trip that coincided with the gasoline pipeline shutdown and following supply shortages in my region. Hitting two or three stations before finding fuel became the norm, and when you are fortunate enough to be in the middle of no-where on some lovely winding roads you've never visited before keeping an eye peeled for a gas station isn't a distraction I wanted.

Due to the amazing collection of experience and ideas here I was hoping someone had a brilliant and simple solution I could copy. Mounting a tool tube and carrying a fuel bottle in it will probably be my norm for future extended trips. I'm not comfortable pushing my range much past 150 miles before fueling. On this recent trip it became 100 mile fuel stops.
 
ahh the fuel shortage. that makes sense. I saw that on the news. Is the shortage over now Dan? and aren't you glad you weren't driving a Dodge Hemi pickup getting 10 mpg? lol
 
I ride pretty much like ferret does and get 50+ mpg so I generally look for a gas station before I reach 150 miles on a tank. I do usually fill up at a favorite station before I cross the border into NH. I like exploring the roads up there and I don't want to worry about fuel levels whiling I'm riding on nice winding roads.
 
Anytime I'm on a road trip out west here in Montana/Wyoming southern Utah, or places in Idaho I throw one, maybe two 32oz MSR bottles in a pannier or in the bag on the rack. Here out west it's a very real possibility to exceed 100 miles without seeing a gas station, more than that easy if the next available station is closed or not functioning. Add a sightseeing detour on short notice because the road you didn't notice on the map looks good and those bottles could save your behind a lot of frustration. MSR bottles are low cost, rugged, and the caps have replaceable o rings available just about at any outdoor product store. To date I've never needed to resort to their contents.
 
The worst for running out of gas is Northern BC up into Alaska. Not only do the stations close early, or go out of business entirely with no notice, they never change the service signs on the roadside -- you will see "next services 55 km" and then drive past the closed station 55kms away and then another 100km to the next gas station to finally get a fill.
 
Back
Top