In Praise of Quiet Pipes

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The quiet stock exhaust was and is a major plus of the CB1100 for me.

It is also part of the appeal of electric motorcycles and bicycles too. I like riding through the woods and being able to hear the birds, other wildlife, and wind in the trees.

I know that I'm in a minority, so if you absolutely must tell the world how awesome your 140 db aftermarket straight pipe is, please start another thread... We'll still be able to hear you!

What are some other bikes that are reknown for their quiet sound profiles?
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
The quiet stock exhaust was and is a major plus of the CB1100 for me.

It is also part of the appeal of electric motorcycles and bicycles too. I like riding through the woods and being able to hear the birds, other wildlife, and wind in the trees.

I know that I'm in a minority, so if you absolutely must tell the world how awesome your 140 db aftermarket straight pipe is, please start another thread... We'll still be able to hear you!

What are some other bikes that are reknown for their quiet sound profiles?
Yes , Harley's when they broke down ......
 
My neighbors love my Bonneville. Especially when I come home late at night.
 
Early Goldwings. The new ones are annoyingly loud for me.

(I like quiet pipes too)
 
Agreed! Quiet 'bikes for me.

My BMW R100R was remarkably quiet, and I hope my new Wyvern 4-into-4 exhausts/silencers are not going to be loud, otherwise they will be in danger of being stuffed with glassfibre! :D
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Early Goldwings. The new ones are annoyingly loud for me.

(I like quiet pipes too)
I see you have an NC750 too. That's another bike I was considering. I like the design of the CTX better than the NC, but the CTX has been discontinued.

I'm thinking the NC750 would be capable on local highways as well as some dirt roads through the woods. The CB1100 is just a tad too top heavy for off road rides
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Early Goldwings. The new ones are annoyingly loud for me.

(I like quiet pipes too)
I see you have an NC750 too. That's another bike I was considering. I like the design of the CTX better than the NC, but the CTX has been discontinued.

I'm thinking the NC750 would be capable on local highways as well as some dirt roads through the woods. The CB1100 is just a tad too top heavy for off road rides
The NC750 is a nice 'n' quiet bike and is definitely highway capable (not an issue). I would not suggest the NC for offroad, at least not in stock OEM form.

Yeah, the CB1100 will definitely nap a lot if taken off road.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Agreed! Quiet 'bikes for me.

My BMW R100R was remarkably quiet, and I hope my new Wyvern 4-into-4 exhausts/silencers are not going to be loud, otherwise they will be in danger of being stuffed with glassfibre! :D

Not loud at all…they just sound like the ‘70s.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The A-man_imp said:
Our CB1100s are so awesome they don't need to be loud to make an impression!
I enjoyed the dense and low wind-up hum during firm acceleration. Really intoxifying.
I enjoyed the dense and low wind-up hum during firm acceleration. Really intoxifying. I enjoyed the dense and low wind-up hum during firm acceleration. Really intoxifying.
exactly ive been so close to pulling the trigger on some Can but know I want it to be stock I mean its not a super bike and sounds sweet like it is, I got a couple Harleys with pipes that make plenty of noise, this Honda is enjoyable being quiet.
 
mtneers_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Agreed! Quiet 'bikes for me.

My BMW R100R was remarkably quiet, and I hope my new Wyvern 4-into-4 exhausts/silencers are not going to be loud, otherwise they will be in danger of being stuffed with glassfibre! :D

Not loud at all…they just sound like the ‘70s.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not loud at all…they just sound like the ‘70s.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. Nice. :thumbsup:
 
My CB is pretty loud but...it was more of a side effect than the goal. I wanted more power and a bike that breathes better and I wanted that gorgeous titanium color.

However, having had the noise.....I have to say it's intoxicating in its own way. my cb accelerates with deep base growl rising into a trumpet blast, and decelerates with something that sounds like a thunderstorm, crackling and bubbling and popping on its way down through the gears. it spits blue fire if you rev it hard before warms up. it smells like an old bike due to the lack of any Cat in the collector.

I didn't really go looking for noise in my bike but...i don't want to give it up now that i have it. its savage and fun.
 
Oh man, I am SO with you on quiet vehicles in general!! Noise pollution sucks. I don't understand the need to assert one's manliness through noise.

My '08 GSX650F, stock pipe, is the quietest bike I've ever ridden. My '03 FJR was close behind it, though, in terms of db levels, but quite a bit ahead in terms of horsepower.
 
WhatYes_imp said:
Oh man, I am SO with you on quiet vehicles in general!! Noise pollution sucks. I don't understand the need to assert one's manliness through noise.

My '08 GSX650F, stock pipe, is the quietest bike I've ever ridden. My '03 FJR was close behind it, though, in terms of db levels, but quite a bit ahead in terms of horsepower.
... or in other words: Assert's one's lack of confidence and pain on everyone else.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
My neighbors love my Bonneville. Especially when I come home late at night.
Do you make a lot of noise when you stumble into your house ?
Do you make a lot of noise when you stumble into your house ?
No sir. I have perfected the art of silent entry. If needed, I can get some speed up at the beginning of my block, kill the engine and coast to the house. My garage door is well oiled and opens and closes silently. I can avoid the creaky floorboards on the way through the house. I can take my gear off in the living room to avoid the rustling noise in the bedroom.

But, then I'll most likely kick one of the legs on the bed frame and blurt out a string of expletives.
 
I like a nice exhaust note from the bike. When I had the first Nighthawk, I'd cut the snooters down a little, and it made a gorgeous purring rumble, not too loud, but thrilling during acceleration. When I got home, I'd throw a little rev in the garage to let my wife know I was back. She loved it.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
My neighbors love my Bonneville. Especially when I come home late at night.
Do you make a lot of noise when you stumble into your house ?
Do you make a lot of noise when you stumble into your house ?
No sir. I have perfected the art of silent entry. If needed, I can get some speed up at the beginning of my block, kill the engine and coast to the house. My garage door is well oiled and opens and closes silently. I can avoid the creaky floorboards on the way through the house. I can take my gear off in the living room to avoid the rustling noise in the bedroom.

But, then I'll most likely kick one of the legs on the bed frame and blurt out a string of expletives.
Do you make a lot of noise when you stumble into your house ?
No sir. I have perfected the art of silent entry. If needed, I can get some speed up at the beginning of my block, kill the engine and coast to the house. My garage door is well oiled and opens and closes silently. I can avoid the creaky floorboards on the way through the house. I can take my gear off in the living room to avoid the rustling noise in the bedroom.

But, then I'll most likely kick one of the legs on the bed frame and blurt out a string of expletives.
:rofl:
 
Back
Top