Ikon shocks for CB1100

Huladog_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just found some available for the CB1100:
http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/shop/7610-1507/

P/N 7610-1507 for $380 in standard configuration.

Might be an affordable rear suspension option. Too bad the various combinations of chrome and black parts didn't include a red spring.

Edit: Found the main Australian site and they do have the aluminum body 7614 that can be had with a red spring. P/N 7614-1507.
http://http//www.ikonsuspension.com


Aloha,
Huladog
 
Stockers work fine but I'm trying the black body with chrome spring which I think will add a custom, lighter weight look to the rear. Ordered but don't have yet. Wonder if the progressive springs will be noticeable.
 
Thread starter
I've been searching for replacement shocks more for a custom look so let me know how they work out. The Ikons look better than the Hagons.

Ohlins are nice, but I need to keep the costs in line since there are so many other farkles I need to fund.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Huladog prompted me to mention that I have the Ikon black w/ chrome spring shocks. They look good like I wanted. Preload, rebound damping are adjustable. Cant comment on how they are when pushed hard cause I don't ride that way anymore, but they were too bouncy until I adjusted the rebound from 1 to 3 (out of 4) position.
 
I put a pair of IKON 7610 on my 1979 BMW. I like them a lot. Adjustable preload and dampening. Build quality is first rate. Rebuildable too.
TINK



 
I ordered a pair of Ikon 7610 shocks for the CB1100. Should be here within 2 weeks. I'll post pictures and a ride report.

I got one of their standard colors, "Signal" red, for the springs at no additional cost. However Ikon will power coat your springs in virtually any color for around $40 a shock. Takes about a week extra.

Ikon Suspension
 
CB4ME_imp said:
I ordered a pair of Ikon 7610 shocks for the CB1100. Should be here within 2 weeks. I'll post pictures and a ride report.

I got one of their standard colors, "Signal" red, for the springs at no additional cost. However Ikon will power coat your springs in virtually any color for around $40 a shock. Takes about a week extra.

Ikon Suspension
CB4ME,
Did you order them from the USA distributor IKON Suspension USA, or did you order direct from IKON in Oz (Australia)?
TINK
 
TINK_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
I ordered a pair of Ikon 7610 shocks for the CB1100. Should be here within 2 weeks. I'll post pictures and a ride report.

I got one of their standard colors, "Signal" red, for the springs at no additional cost. However Ikon will power coat your springs in virtually any color for around $40 a shock. Takes about a week extra.

Ikon Suspension
CB4ME,
Did you order them from the USA distributor IKON Suspension USA, or did you order direct from IKON in Oz (Australia)?
TINK
David Gardner, the US distributor for Ikon, called me after Stephanie Lowe from Australia replied to my inquiry. David was great to work with.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
I ordered a pair of Ikon 7610 shocks for the CB1100. Should be here within 2 weeks. I'll post pictures and a ride report.

I got one of their standard colors, "Signal" red, for the springs at no additional cost. However Ikon will power coat your springs in virtually any color for around $40 a shock. Takes about a week extra.

Ikon Suspension
CB4ME,
Did you order them from the USA distributor IKON Suspension USA, or did you order direct from IKON in Oz (Australia)?
TINK
David Gardner, the US distributor for Ikon, called me after Stephanie Lowe from Australia replied to my inquiry. David was great to work with.
David Gardner, the US distributor for Ikon, called me after Stephanie Lowe from Australia replied to my inquiry. David was great to work with.
Agree, David's a good guy. Talked with him a few times before I ordered the shock/springs for the BMW project.

Interested in your opinion of the IKON's on the CB1100. I'm hoping to add a CB1100 to my stable some time in 2014, and a suspension upgrade is definitely on the list of thinks to do.

TINK
 
kenfyoozed_imp said:
Please give more feedback after you test them, I have them on my radar for late winter or early spring purchase.
Kenfyoozed,

It may be late winter or early spring before I can get back on the road. Damn snow. :@

I went with the standard "signal red". The color is lighter and brighter than I'd imagined and I'm not sure if those springs will stay on or get changed to black springs. But I'll test them out as soon as this snow melts.

8a0c0ba1045e1cbd8e5badf2246bf4c0.jpg
 
Any feedback on those IKON shocks, CB4ME? Has the snow melted there yet? TINK

CB4ME_imp said:
kenfyoozed_imp said:
Please give more feedback after you test them, I have them on my radar for late winter or early spring purchase.
Kenfyoozed,

It may be late winter or early spring before I can get back on the road. Damn snow. :@

I went with the standard "signal red". The color is lighter and brighter than I'd imagined and I'm not sure if those springs will stay on or get changed to black springs. But I'll test them out as soon as this snow melts.

8a0c0ba1045e1cbd8e5badf2246bf4c0.jpg
Kenfyoozed,

It may be late winter or early spring before I can get back on the road. Damn snow. :@

I went with the standard "signal red". The color is lighter and brighter than I'd imagined and I'm not sure if those springs will stay on or get changed to black springs. But I'll test them out as soon as this snow melts.

22debdb797f2bc093108b5e936d3eda5.jpg
I'm liking the 7610-1507 with the SP8 option of chrome springs and short chrome cover, $500.
The stock black spring with no cover's are not bad either, $400.

573acee2b8648e04fb53c6ae07a9782b.jpg
973bb38de76a810c61bec809601ecdbb.jpg


TINK
 
I will sell my pair of IKON shocks with the red springs for $200 shipped. I don't have a PayPal sellers account so it would have to be a check).

I also have a set of stock springs available for $100 shipped, but I don't know why anyone would need them.

----------------------------------------------------

The IKONs were on the bike for one 35 mile trip - then 3 months of winter set in.

When I added Candy Red fenders a month latter, the brighter red on the springs just seemed to clash (I'm married to an interior designer and some of her color coordinating rubbed off). I ended ordering Ohlins with black springs for $800.

I honestly liked the IKONs as much as the Ohlins in terms of ride quality. Both offer a noticeable improvement over stock. Ohlins are a bit more refined looking, but both have progressive springs adjustable for rebound dampening and preload.

Those damn Ohlins springs make a little groaning noise when I sit on the bike, and the bottom eye bolt was hitting my Staintune exhaust when riding until I reversed the rubber swingarm mounts "T sleeve" to give it 0.05" more clearance. Looking back, I wish I'd ordered black springs on the IKONs to begin with. They really are quite nice.
 
I had the black bodies, chrome springs and no cover... Looked good with the black swing arm. Ride was good with rebound on 3. Standard spring rate... I weigh 220 lbs.
 
Tink - do you have the stock exhausts? I'd be curious to know if you an remove the bottom shock attachment bolt without having to pull the exhaust. That big dent in the exhaust should serve a purpose!

Shocks on their way in the morning!
 
I think the dent is more for clearance as the swing arm moves. I don't think there's room to pull the shock off... Maybe there is.
 
Well, if they don't clear the exhaust there's a trick I've used on other bikes where I suppost the wheel with a plank, pull the shocks off of the top mounts, swing the swingarm up (or down, depending) until I can get the lower mounts off.

TINK

CB4ME_imp said:
Tink - do you have the stock exhausts? I'd be curious to know if you an remove the bottom shock attachment bolt without having to pull the exhaust. That big dent in the exhaust should serve a purpose!

Shocks on their way in the morning!
 
Back
Top