Ikon and exhaust question

woodsparrow_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm finally getting around to doing some suspension work on my bike, does anyone know which of the 5 'ikon' websites is the official one? I see an ikonsuspensionusa, ikonsuspension, ikonshocksusa, and a couple others.

Perhaps more importantly (since I can probably order from Revzilla), does anyone know which shocks and springs go on a 2013 CB1100 (ABS)?

I'm not set in stone on the Ikons, but I've heard they're about as good as Ohlins and don't cost 1k per set. This is my daily driver/primary vehicle, and I don't do track days or anything, so I'm just looking for a slight uptweak and some fun upgrades.

Second question, does anyone have an exhaust (either full or slip on) they would suggest? I actually like how quiet the stock is, but mine's banged up from a previous owner, and is starting to rust (plus it looks tacky). So I'm leery of buying any aftermarkets because I don't want some BS 'growl' that makes me deaf. I find loud pipes irritating and they give me a headache, even with earplugs.
 
Staintune. Everyone loves em. LOoks similar to stock, smaller, and good sound not irritating. LOts of review and even some vids. USe search engine. Just type in Staintune.
 
I have a stock pipe from a 2014 standard model I'm not using if you want to buy a slightly used oem exhaust. I switched to a staintune.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
chync_imp said:
I have a stock pipe from a 2014 standard model I'm not using if you want to buy a slightly used oem exhaust. I switched to a staintune.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hrm, maybe. I do like the Staintune sound, but not sure if I really want to pay 800 Australian for it then ship it to the US.

Is it just me or is it hard to find parts for this bike in the US? Revzilla/Partzilla don't seem to carry anything, and most of the other sources I find are in Australia or Japan.
 
Woodsparrow,

Here's the page on ikon's parent site showing international distributors, http://www.ikonsuspension.com/international-distributors.html

See here for Ikon springs for the CB1100, https://www.ikonsuspension.com.au/product-category/honda/cb1100/

Or check out the catalogue on page 23 here, http://www.ikonsuspension.com/download/full-ikon-shock-absorber-application-list.pdf

Many here swear by the Staintune slip on. I don't have one, but I've ridden a lot with Pterodactyl who does and I like it. It's a bit a noisier than the OEM pipe, but it's not life saving loud.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Woodsparrow,

Here's the page on ikon's parent site showing international distributors, http://www.ikonsuspension.com/international-distributors.html

See here for Ikon springs for the CB1100, https://www.ikonsuspension.com.au/product-category/honda/cb1100/

Or check out the catalogue on page 23 here, http://www.ikonsuspension.com/download/full-ikon-shock-absorber-application-list.pdf

Many here swear by the Staintune slip on. I don't have one, but I've ridden a lot with Pterodactyl who does and I like it. It's a bit a noisier than the OEM pipe, but it's not life saving loud.
Man, that explains why the Ikon USA website is so horrid; it's just a node for the US distributor network, not the entire US presence. Thanks.
 
Hey Woodsparrow,

Have a look at Hagon Shocks. They have a US site in Cali. I think.
I fitted the Nitron Shocks last year and love them.

I'm not sure they list shocks for the CB1100, but they defo make the right size for them. Adj. preload and damping. Choice of springs and damping. Fully strippable/re-buildable. Mine are great and have improved the ride no end. Highly recommended.
 
Wood,

Staintune is worth the money.

EVERY cool part I have purchased for the CB has come from Europe, Australia or Japan with the only exceptions being the Powercommander and K&N filter.

Thank God for Mr. T. and Samurider.

I have had the same issue with my Bking. Some bikes just don't get the aftermarket love here in the U.S.
 
I'm new to this bike and this forum, and I'm trying to find ways to modify the exhaust, get rid of the cat conv, have respectable audible feedback from engine. I have read a lot of the posts like this one, and noted discussion of "slip-ons", I assume referring to muffler. However, it is confusing to me, because unless I'm really blind, the muffler is welded to header pipes on my bike, so how does a slip on work? Or is that a reference to some other part?
 
Jeb, if your muffler is welded on, it is not stock. Can you post a pic of you exhaust system? Someone will then be able to identify it.

When they say slip-on, they do mean just the muffler. For example, a number of members have a StainTune.

Since I don't know what year bike you have, I just selected 2014 and here is how the exhaust looks in the parts fiche: http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c02f870021404ec5a46/exhaust-muffler-1

The catalytic converter is welded to the headers, the muffler (item 5) is a slip-on.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Jeb, if your muffler is welded on, it is not stock. Can you post a pic of you exhaust system? Someone will then be able to identify it.

When they say slip-on, they do mean just the muffler. For example, a number of members have a StainTune.

Since I don't know what year bike you have, I just selected 2014 and here is how the exhaust looks in the parts fiche: http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c02f870021404ec5a46/exhaust-muffler-1

The catalytic converter is welded to the headers, the muffler (item 5) is a slip-on.
Thanks for the diagram and the information. Yes, it is 2014 and the exhaust is as in diagram you indicated. I just had not looked under the shield and was looking at the weld in the muffler. So, the Cat Conv is not then easily remedied other than replacing header or doing something unconventional to it which would likely wind up with heat damage to the header, and in any case would require removing from the bike to work on it. I wonder how much difference in output replacing the muffler would make. Not much I'm guessing, but maybe it would not be whisper quiet. Thanks again. :thanks:
 
Use the search function and you might be surprised what members have done. I can't help much more than that as I like stock sound. But Staintune is regarded highly, and Arrow, and I don't remember, but a lot of others.
 
Back
Top