If you could own just one bike?

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Alright, so I own two bikes, the CB1100 and a 1978 Honda XL175. The 175 is not a regular use bike. I drag it out every so often to run some gas through it. With a low top speed and replacement parts getting more scarce, I just can't use it much.

So, the CB serves as my weekend toy for pleasure rides. It's a fine bike, but I do miss having something light and nimble. Also, I enjoy a dirt road every so often. My last bike, a V-strom 650 checked off all the boxes of a somewhat nimble, dirt road capable bike that also worked well loaded down with luggage on a trip. Problem is, such a versatile bike tends to not excel in any one area. That, in turn, can make for a somewhat vanilla experience if you are after a bike that really tugs at your emotions. Some folks are in it for where the motorcycle takes you, which is fine, but I need something more.

The CB does satisfy my retro tooth, and I love the powerplant, but that's where it ends. It got me to thinking, is there any bike that really is the total package between performance, functional, and emotion? For me, I can't think of a single bike. Each person will answer this question differently, but I think it could be an interesting discussion. What say you all?
 
For me, it IS the CB. I feel the CB is light and nimble. But that's just my feeling from my experiences with mostly large touring bikes for the past 15 years. My middleweight tourer- Honda NT 700 felt fine to me UNTIL I got the CB. Now I only use the NT for long distances, the CB for everything else.

Same disclaimer for me- no need for dirt road capability.
 
And that time and situation will soon likely approach for me. Retirement, college, etc. I'd like to sail off with three bikes. We shall see.
 
I don't think there is any one bike that would satisfy my every need albeit the DL650 does come close. I rented a BMW GS1200 for a day while vacationing in the Texas Hill Country and it was a fine ride in every way, comfortable, smooth. decent handling and excellent brakes. I generally love "adventure" style bikes but at 5'6" all of them are a challenge when I have to stop.

With all the graded dirt roads around home it would be nice to have a scrambler with some decent 50-50 dirt-street tires as a second bike. That new Ducati Scrambler has my eye.

For me, the CB1100 fits my overall needs best. The CB has no vices and it's an easy reach to the ground. I have done some 400 mile days on my CB and felt no need for a mount dedicated to touring. I'm even content with the saddle now that it has broken in. The only improvement I have in mind is a change to better tires (Pilot Road 3's). Lastly, I like stepping into the garage and seeing that gorgeous red Honda at the ready for anywhere I wish to go.
 
I'm hoping this is the one for me, if not I'll keep trying. The R9T is my 34th bike, so I really doubt it. :D
Bikes are like girlfriends.......
 
Gave up 2 bikes to get my CB1100 thinking it would be the 1 but that only lasted about 4 months and got another VStar 950T. The CB1100 does everything I want except for those times when we need a lounge chair.
 
Did you really think the CB1100 would be all it is AND a lounge chair?

All the months while I was lusting for one and looking at pictures, videos, and ride reports, I never thought it'd be a good lounge chair.
 
The CB does it all for me, much like the CB750 did before it. I don't ride off road, so no worries there. I have always preferred a "do it all" kind of bike. The CB doesn't excel in any one area, but it does quite well whether I'm commuting, straightening out some twisties, or on a long haul road trip.

If I were inclined to have a garage full of bikes, I suppose I could do better with a TU250, a CB600RR and a Goldwing for each of those roles, but I like to keep it simple.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Did you really think the CB1100 would be all it is AND a lounge chair?

All the months while I was lusting for one and looking at pictures, videos, and ride reports, I never thought it'd be a good lounge chair.
Didn't think it would be but I also didn't realize how much I enjoyed what the 950T's riding style offered. The CB1100 is clearly the nicest bike I've owned but even it isn't everything. Came close to buying a Star Bolt before the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
What I find most interesting about the CB1100 is the wide variety of other bikes owners of the CB have or have owned. Everything from cruisers, sport bikes, antique/classics, sport/adv touring, and dirt/dual sport. All my other bikes I have owned seem to appeal to a very similar crowd. my previous 3 bikes were a DL650, FJR1300, and KLR650. I guess the DL was the most versatile and the KLR and FJR were just one notch to either side of the Strom in terms of their respective capabilities. I have known several people who have owned at least 2 of those 3 bikes.

What is funny, the CB seems very different from any of these bikes. To be honest, I was drawn to the CB for its identity as a standard UJM. Sure, you can put bags and a windshield and travel on it or fit better suspension parts to make it sportier, but there are obviously better machines from a function or performance standpoint.

I like the purity of the CB. It's more than a 2 wheel appliance. It has soul. I bought it because, among other things, it felt right. I love the bike, but there are some things it doesn't do for me. I want a bike that is extremely light and flickable. Longish (5-6 inches) travel suspension and some dirt road capabilities are certainly on my list. Weight should be around 450 lbs or less. At least 2 cylinders rules out a super moto bike as does a small fuel tank and uncomfortably narrow seat. Ducati's Hypermotard might be the closest thing to what I want, but I am afraid of owning anything Italian since I am not sold on reliability and cost of ownership.

The bike that really has my attention is Yamaha's forthcoming FJ-09. I think with a set of street oriented adv tires lime Pirelli MT90s or Scorpion Trails, this could satisfy my criteria for a single bike if I were to go that route. 8 love the CB so much, something would have to be awful awesome. Still, I wouldn't find a bike like the CB500X as a stablemate to the CB1100.
 
ZRX1200R is THE best bike I have owned in 33 years of riding. Right now I will just have to LUST over the CB1100 till I pay off my wife's new CB500F.
 
Thread starter
mr1bienvenu_imp said:
ZRX1200R is THE best bike I have owned in 33 years of riding. Right now I will just have to LUST over the CB1100 till I pay off my wife's new CB500F.
The Z-Rex is one of the bikes I have long lusted after. I would have bought one had there been a clean, well cared for example available in my area. I think one might actually suit me a little better than the CB1100 as it has a bit better suspension, more power, and satisfies my retro tooth. Hmm, I could sell my CB1100 and have enough money to buy a ZRX and a dual sport. My problem of not having a bike for dirt roads would be solved.
 
Thread starter
So, I went and test rode the bike that I originally wanted when I ended up with the CB1100 instead. The Yamaha FZ-09 is a hot mess of a hooligan bike. It's probably a good thing I didn't buy one just for the way it makes you ride. 110 hp and 415 lbs makes for a rather lively bike. I have never ridden a triple engine bike and it really was the best of 4 cylinders and twins combined. The mid range was tellar. It had a guttural induction note that I could not stop myself from letting it scream.

The ergos on it fit me very well. I felt in control with a reasonably upright position and my 34 inch inseam legs were not bent excessively. Also impressive was the smooth wind blast at 80 mph. I didn't have to cling for dear life just to stay on. With just a small cowl to deflect a few bugs and cover the unsightly wiring leading to the LED display, it would be fine.

The whole time, I was cackling like a loon. The bike was an absolute hoonage fest, but it has some pretty big issues, at least ones sufficient for me to hold off on buying one. The biggest, was the fuel mapping. You read all the reviews on the bike and they complain that the throttle response is incredibly sensitive in all but the least aggressive ride mode. It's at best, an annoyance. I could see this bike getting out from under you in the right situation and I was shocked how easy it broke traction mid corner.

The other common complaint is on the suspension. For a 200+ lb rider, it is too softly sprung. Regardless of rider weight, it is also under damped. It was quite bouncy with larger swings through the suspension travel. This is easily fixed with aftermarket suspension upgrades. I also don't expect high spec dampers on a bike at the price point, but I think they could have dialed in the settings a bit better. Same goes for the throttle response. Hopefully, they fix it on future models...and offer it with ABS.

I also wanted to look at the 9's little brother, the FZ-07. It seems to be getting more positive reviews than the 9 and has a little more sane powerplant. Shame the ergos felt so cramped. Looks like I'll be holding on to the CB. It is just so civilized and natural. I just need to get my saddle sorted and add a few other farkles...ride, rinse, repeat.
 
Myself, my son, his father in law, and one of my neighbors all went to our local Yammie shop on their demo days and all test rode the FZ-09. To a man, we really disliked it. We named it the "twitchy brick". The throttle had to either on or off their was no " cruising" you were either accelerating ferociously or coasting, the seat was hard, the suspension was un compliant. We were really disappointed.
 
Back
Top