If only the Yamaha SR400 had been cheaper...

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/gen...xclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/

The same company that sells scooters to Hipsters with too little cash for a Vespa (Genuine) is introducing a retro style 400 cc single. The engine is supposed to be based off the old Honda XR 4 valve engine also used in the GB series bikes. This is outfitted with EFI to meet modern emissions and such.

I really like the looks of it, but I am adept enough to keep an older bike running and would prefer an actual smaller bike from the 70s. Still, it undercuts the SR400 by nearly $1500. I always felt the Yamaha was priced about $1000 too high. Other than the handful of folks who rushed to buy one after they hit showrooms, they haven't exactly flown off the dealer floors.

If Yamaha wanted to sell the bike to those they marketed, they'd have fitted electric start. New riders aren't going to adapt well to a kick only bike with a compression release. Heck, I watched 2 or 3 goons at a dealer trying to get one started to let a customer take a test ride. I wanted to jump in so bad and show them up, haha!
 
I agree - it's not that this bike is underpriced, it's that the SR400 and Royal Enfield are overpriced. If the SR was $4500 new I would already own one.
 
Pretty interesting. If this bike had been available a few years, I might have bought two of them rather than the CBR250Rs we did buy. Genuine makes a couple of pretty cool scooters. I have no doubt that the G400 will be well-made as well, especially since they're using Honda underpinnings.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Pretty interesting. If this bike had been available a few years, I might have bought two of them rather than the CBR250Rs we did buy. Genuine makes a couple of pretty cool scooters. I have no doubt that the G400 will be well-made as well, especially since they're using Honda underpinnings.
Displaying my ignorance proudly here...if this machine is supposedly a single, what's with the 2 into 2 exhaust? Am I missing something? Super cool-looking bike, by the way. I never get tired of those classic looks!
 
Thread starter
kvdv_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Pretty interesting. If this bike had been available a few years, I might have bought two of them rather than the CBR250Rs we did buy. Genuine makes a couple of pretty cool scooters. I have no doubt that the G400 will be well-made as well, especially since they're using Honda underpinnings.
Displaying my ignorance proudly here...if this machine is supposedly a single, what's with the 2 into 2 exhaust? Am I missing something? Super cool-looking bike, by the way. I never get tired of those classic looks!
Displaying my ignorance proudly here...if this machine is supposedly a single, what's with the 2 into 2 exhaust? Am I missing something? Super cool-looking bike, by the way. I never get tired of those classic looks!
It was a 4 valve design with 2 exhaust ports. Honda called it radial four valve combustion (RFVC). The valves were positioned radially instead of the two pairs sitting parallel across from each other. These were used on a lot of the XR series bikes in the 80s. Some even had dual carbs feeding the two intake ports. It looks like this Genuine may have a single throttle body, but it's hard to tell from the photos on that link I posted.
 
I like it. I had two SUZ TU 250's and they were great. All I needed was a bit more highway speed and just a tad more wheelbase for longer rides. I would also own an SR if it were cheaper. Of course it also "should" have had electric start but it is cool to have to kick over an engine these days.
 
This thread needs a picture:

6f0246282ed3e70021218f3c3e413db5.jpg
 
Saw one in the metal on a ride a while ago and also liked it.
 
aschem_imp said:
I do not like it at all, and I have owned a W650 and a SR500.
The Kawasaki is a very good choice.

I don't like like the double exhaust system on the Mash 500.
Although it may have some function, it still appears like a fake
for a single cylinder motorbike to me.

Another aspect is, it looks somehow skinny.

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
Bring this one back from the dead...if you look at my signature, you can probably figure out why. Turns out it had been cheaper, at least for me.

Interesting to see my comments from nearly 3 years ago. When you check Genuine's website, it says the G400C is coming November 2018. There isn't a way to access this product page through the main Genuine Scooters website, but if you google "Genuine G400C," it comes up as the first result. Link here:

http://genuinescooters.com/g400c.html

So, I picked up a new 2015 Yamaha SR400 at a price I couldn't say no to. The owner of the metric shop where I work was selling the business and trying to get rid of old inventory like this, so he was willing to take a significant loss. Also, he said I had been a good employee. Sure hope the new guys that bought us out don't can me right after I spent that money, haha!

Here it is. Yesterday, it was 90 degrees here in Central Texas. Woke up this morning to mid 40s and rain. Stayed the same temp all day, cooling a couple degrees actually. Crummy weather always happens after I buy a new bike.

I love the thumpy, vibey, slow bike. Riding it to work Sunday (we had to do inventory for the shop selling) was nice. It just loafs down the road at 55-60 mph. It is so light and nimble. I love all the chrome and polished engine cases. I was really missing having a classically styled bike. Already have an exhaust on the way over from Japan...hopefully this doesn't turn into the money pit my Grom, and to some degree, my CB was.
 
Back
Top