If not the CB1100 then what?

Banned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I was reading VLJ's most recent thread extolling the virtues of his beloved Monica and he posed the following question:

"What would I rather be riding right now? Is there anything?"

That got me thinking, if there was no CB1100 what would everyone here be riding? Would you just stay with what you already have in your garage? Would you have something completely different? Or heaven forbid would you not be riding at all?

I don't mean your dream bike, or the bike that got away, or your neighbours bike. Given your current budget, riding style and whatever other real world factors influence your motorcycle buying decisions, if there was no CB1100 what would you be riding right now?
 
Lots of possibilities but probably would have bought the GSX-S1000F. I like looking at that bike even now. Another possibly would have been the NC700X. Still another is an FZ1. All I know is I wouldn't have been able to last much longer on the VFR. Glad the CB came along when it did.
 
Great question, probably something naked. Or maybe a different direction like Yamaha FJR 1300 . Love Hondas , but at this time in my life a little comfort might be more up my ally.
 
Desert viper_imp said:
A new Kawasaki Z900RS
Same here. There's not much else out there that would satisfy my requirements : Standard, inline-4 that doesn't look like an insect or an evil robot.
 
Great question. I can't imagine.

Probably an NC 700x or an SV 650, or a CB500x maybe.

If I found any those unsuitable, I probably be on a Triumph T 120 like my brothers, or an FJ-09 like my sons.
 
Triumph T120 or Scrambler, or Tiger...MG v7 or V9, Ducati Scrambler, Royal Enfied Himalaya or their new twin or bullet, Suzuki DR650, BMW f800GS, Honda Africa Twin, Yamaha SuperTenere, XSR900 or 700 or SR400, KTM690R, KTM390 Duke, KTM 500 EXC-f, BMW R9T, Z900RS, Versys 650, Indian Scout...they would all be fun, have their pro / cons...but I'd probably choose... KTM690R.
 
If there was no CB1100 made, I would probably be still riding my CB500XA. I really enjoyed the straight up riding position, and 115 less pounds.

The 2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor has caught my eye however. I reminds me of my BSA Lightnings.
 
Banned_imp said:
I was reading VLJ's most recent thread extolling the virtues of his beloved Monica and he posed the following question:

"What would I rather be riding right now? Is there anything?"

That got me thinking, if there was no CB1100 what would everyone here be riding? Would you just stay with what you already have in your garage? Would you have something completely different? Or heaven forbid would you not be riding at all?

I don't mean your dream bike, or the bike that got away, or your neighbours bike. Given your current budget, riding style and whatever other real world factors influence your motorcycle buying decisions, if there was no CB1100 what would you be riding right now?
I would, ride with my W800. And since January 2018 with the Bullet. They both fit, they are enough.

Wisedrum
 
Difficult question for me to answer:

The 2012 BMW 1200R was an almost (then it was still air cooled), but I went with Triumph that year. My 2012 with dual oil pumps and oil cooler did fine in the desert. Great torque from 865cc.

Then Triumph got liquid cooled (still avoiding that) and the local Triumph-Moto Guzzi dealer changed ownership from good guys (brothers who rode) to a number cruncher who does not want my business (we had words over him moving my V7II to park his Jaguar. I probably embarrassed him and it went downhill from there). Worse, he also bought the BMW dealership.

Sportsters got too low (poor lean angles, now), but mine (2003 & 2002) were narrow, nimble and a lot of fun. The 1200 Sport was ~ 70 HP @ 5,700 RPM and 79 ft # @ 4,000 RPM. Close to same weight as CB1100 (501 # dry/537 # wet), but not as smooth at 80 MPH+. Harley has not had a Sportster of interest to me since about 2008.

The Moto Guzzi was fun, did well in the desert, but fueling was an issue. It was so cold natured that parking it for a few minutes required a warm-up time (warm-up of heated O2 sensors?) to avoid severe balking after re-start.

The Yamaha SCR900 or a Bolt was a consideration, to replace the V7II, but it did not feel natural on an extended test ride.

Never owned a Kawasaki or Suzuki, but Kawasaki would be a consideration, although I would expect more durability/longevity from Honda or Yamaha.

For me, none of this matters, as I expect the CB1110 to be number last.
Wife says" "Sure, I've heard that before"!, but this time is more certain.

Bottom line, I am extremely pleased to have the CB1100.
 
No one here has mentioned the rNinet, so I'll drop that in. I took a hard look at it before reconciling with myself the fact that it was overpriced. If money was no object, I probably would have taken that route.

But the CB keeps me happy. I would also love to see a non-carbed ZXR-1200R. :)
 
I was planning on a used big twin this spring. I bought a new 2014 for the same money. My last bike was a 1999 sportster sport. I think this bike is my last. My 1972 350 four was my first bike that actually ran. This is my summer fling. It's for enjoying life when I'm not fly-fishing for salmon in AK.
 
CB500F or X, CB650, Kawasaki W800, Bandit 1250. Or maybe something completely different.
 
johnf514_imp said:
No one here has mentioned the rNinet, so I'll drop that in. I took a hard look at it before reconciling with myself the fact that it was overpriced. If money was no object, I probably would have taken that route.

But the CB keeps me happy. I would also love to see a non-carbed ZXR-1200R. :)
With change of dealer ownership, BMW, Triumph and Moto Guzzi are not longer a consideration for me in Las Vegas Valley.

The BMW does have impressive torque and HP for 1170 cc on a 489# wet bike. Price aside, I like the style of the CB much better.
 
No longer requiring the utility I was looking for when I bought the CB, fully retired now, I'd be on a BMW R nine T or a Triumph Speed master. Love the CB though. Wouldn't trade for either!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
johnf514_imp said:
No one here has mentioned the rNinet, so I'll drop that in. I took a hard look at it before reconciling with myself the fact that it was overpriced. If money was no object, I probably would have taken that route.

But the CB keeps me happy. I would also love to see a non-carbed ZXR-1200R. :)
With change of dealer ownership, BMW, Triumph and Moto Guzzi are not longer a consideration for me in Las Vegas Valley.

The BMW does have impressive torque and HP for 1170 cc on a 489# wet bike. Price aside, I like the style of the CB much better.
You make a great point. The CB's style is more pure than the BMW. I also don't like how BMW have taken the platform and turned it into six different versions of that same darn bike.
 
Back
Top