Idea Could be big

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I don't know if anyone has done this yet but I think a set of Business Casual slacks with kevlar reinforcement would be a huge hit for people who motorcycle commute to work. Like dockers but a little slimmer fit. Why hasn't anyone done this yet?? I'm getting tired of having to change everyday lol
 
Trouble with using one pair of pants for both is, when you sit on a motorcycle pants legs shorten up. Leave them long and they fit when riding a motorcycle but bunch up at your ankles when you are standing at the water cooler.

Actually best solution (but expensive) is a one piece aerostitch suit which has protection from all the elements with your work clothes underneath. Less than a minute to get out of and you are ready for work. My son who works in the insurance business in IT has the same problem on days he rides one of his bikes to work. The other issue is his laptop and his lunch which he has to pack in a back pack made for laptops. He also wears a pair of low profile riding boots that with the toe patches for shifter look "different" when he's in the office, but he's been there 7 years now so they are kind of used to him wearing mc gear.
 
I take my riding gear too seriously to wear anything than proper leather in summer and an all weather suit in winter. It was great the bank I used to work in as I had my own office, so I had brought in a few suits that I could change to while in the office. I used to love the looks I got from the other "suits" as I walked in to the bank in the morning with full leathers.

The best though was when I would go on a cash run. Sometimes we needed to go pick up cash for clients. I would put on my leather and ride my Ducati to this special central bank place, and enter the garage made for the regular armored vans. The first time they really looked at me funny, but then they always could hear me coming. The booming sound of the Termis in the closed garage was just great!

Now I work in an open space, and it has become a bit more difficult. But, I just go to the bathroom to change when I arrive.
 
Henrik_imp said:
I take my riding gear too seriously to wear anything than proper leather in summer and an all weather suit in winter. It was great the bank I used to work in as I had my own office, so I had brought in a few suits that I could change to while in the office. I used to love the looks I got from the other "suits" as I walked in to the bank in the morning with full leathers.

The best though was when I would go on a cash run. Sometimes we needed to go pick up cash for clients. I would put on my leather and ride my Ducati to this special central bank place, and enter the garage made for the regular armored vans. The first time they really looked at me funny, but then they always could hear me coming. The booming sound of the Termis in the closed garage was just great!

Now I work in an open space, and it has become a bit more difficult. But, I just go to the bathroom to change when I arrive.
I used to think that as well, until I purchased Kevlar mesh gear. Infinitely cooler and 10 times the strength of leather.
 
Cordura, if thick enough, has nearly the same abrasion resistance as premium motorcycle leather. The key difference is that it melts and renders the material useless after even a fairly modest slide. One crash=new jacket. I would imagine the same is true for Kevlar, but I haven't looked into it. Frankly, though, as long as it works the first time I go off, I'll be grateful for the opportunity to go purchase replacement pants/jacket/gloves/helmet.
Ohhhh..and to the OP's point... I would also love a pair of casual pants which were Kevlar-lined. Especially if they looked like the blue chino-style uniform pants I used to wear in my gas station pump-jockey days. I'll check out The Ferret's links (so to speak)
 
DGShannon_imp said:
Henrik_imp said:
I take my riding gear too seriously to wear anything than proper leather in summer and an all weather suit in winter. It was great the bank I used to work in as I had my own office, so I had brought in a few suits that I could change to while in the office. I used to love the looks I got from the other "suits" as I walked in to the bank in the morning with full leathers.

The best though was when I would go on a cash run. Sometimes we needed to go pick up cash for clients. I would put on my leather and ride my Ducati to this special central bank place, and enter the garage made for the regular armored vans. The first time they really looked at me funny, but then they always could hear me coming. The booming sound of the Termis in the closed garage was just great!

Now I work in an open space, and it has become a bit more difficult. But, I just go to the bathroom to change when I arrive.
I used to think that as well, until I purchased Kevlar mesh gear. Infinitely cooler and 10 times the strength of leather.
I used to think that as well, until I purchased Kevlar mesh gear. Infinitely cooler and 10 times the strength of leather.
I wonder about that. Wouldn't the MotoGP guys also wear kevlar mesh gear then?
 
They wear Kangaroo hide not cow hide..it's thinner and stronger
 
The ferret_imp said:
They wear Kangaroo hide not cow hide..it's thinner and stronger
I'm not having a go, Ferret, but that doesn't answer Henrik's question, does it? If kevlar is 10 times the strength of leather, why don't the MotoGP riders use it? I'm curious.
 
well Henrik is probably wearing cowhide and not what the moto GP riders are wearing. I'm guessing they don't use Kevlar mesh for aerodynamics as air flows more smoothly over skin tight leather and probably because they get the leathers for free (at least the top guys), but I am only guessing. Maybe its just tradition?
 
It's also required by the governing body...no one said that leather was worse; just that, for street use, a little more comfort with similar protection is perfectly acceptable (to me).
 
Understood, although I'm not sure I've made myself clear.

If DGShannon is right that Kevlar is 10 times stronger than leather, and it also holds that this extra strength gives extra protection in the event of an accident, one can be forgiven for wondering why the governing body doesn't mandate a change in the requirement for protective gear.

The only reasonable conclusion is that the real difference between the relative protective properties of kevlar and leather means the change isn't worth it.
 
Be a fun conversation to have with the governing body, but since most of these guys have been wearing full leathers (both cow and Kanga) since childhood, that mandating a change from that material might be difficult. Wish I could answer you for sure, but I am just not privy to the answers, only my suppositions.
 
Kevlar will protect you somewhat better than leather, but a Kevlar garment is able to breathe quite a bit. Air will pass through it, so I'd say that ferret's comment about not smooth airflow is right on the money. Kevlar is also very difficult to work with with regard to making it into a garment. It's easier to work some Kevlar fibers into pants or jackets, not easy to make them completely out of Kevlar.

From my research into, and 30 years experience with Kevlar body armor, we were also shown how water, heat, humidity, and sweat will shorten it's effective life as a bullet stopper. I don't know if those elements will degrade motorcycle gear enough to make a difference in that use though.
 
Cormanus, I think you have precisely understood my question here. Incidentally, although my leather two-piece suit is not kangaroo primarily for budget reasons, my gloves are.

However, one of my best friends is head of the technical commission of the FIM who I got to know while my wife worked there, so I will actually pass the question on to him. The FIM is a ten minute ride from my house. I can imagine they must have had some thought about all this.
 
Good post, Cormanus. I still have to assume that even the most modest pair of Kevlar lined pants are better than retail blue jeans. Also, a person might feel that on a slow speed commute, there is enough abrasion resistance, coupled with comfort and convenience, to warrant going with something non-leather.

It will be interesting to see if others find more documentation on the relative effectiveness of various materials used in riding apparel.
 
Interesting article Cormanus.

Henrik, that would be awesome. Can't wait to hear the results.
 
Much as I like leather riding gear, it is simply too hot and humid for summer riding where I live. Even the best vented textile can be miserably hot when temps get into the upper 90's and humidity at 70% or more. More to the point, leather is probably superior to the alternatives or the racing governing bodies and riders would demand something else. New technology textiles might one day displace leather. Who knows?

Now if PETA were in charge......
 
Back
Top