Idaho-Montana-Wyoming-Utah Loop run

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
By the numbers

4 states...1247 miles....2.5 days

Too many major mountain ranges and rivers to list..

Thursday at 7:30 departure:

Ogden to Brigham City via the 89. Brigham to Corrine on the 83 then on to Howell Utah and I-15 to Snowville. Snowville UT on the 38 through Curlew National Grassland to Roy and the 37 to American Falls Idaho .

Then back on the 39 on west side of the American Forks Reservoir through Aberdeen-Springfield-Pingree and then Rockford Idaho to the 26 heading NW to Atomic City (no services...I was hoping to grab a burger on the run). Left there and headed to Howe, Idaho via the 33.

After Howe onto the 22 and then the 28 NW to Lone Pine (where I arrived on fumes).

Pumped gas there on an old manual pump and had to report the total to elderly proprietress. As luck would have it I wanted a burger and she replied matter of factly " My cook left..not sure if she's coming back". After a bag of chips and Miller High Life I was back on the road with a quick stop at Leadore ID. Walking into the restaurant after seeing the OPEN sign lit up I was surprised that no one was in there. I shouted HELLO" twice. Not receiving a reply I walked out the front door and into the adjoining bar which was also showing a sign that it was OPEN. In this bar were two aussie sheppards and a huge compressor that was running at full tilt making the racket from Hell, myself and apparently no one else. I stood there for a few seconds, then uttered an unrepeatable word. As I walked out I had half a mind to leave the door open to give the dogs a reprieve.

The next three towns ( Lemhi-Tendoy-Baker) are only on the map to frustrate, confuse and disorient travelers. I'm not even sure I went through them but they are shown on the map none the less. Could be like Brigadoon and I rolled through there at the wrong time. Somewhere in this general area I crossed this....

1758bfec929c10cd6b6f12b781de67fa.jpg


Salmon is a well established small city with lots of shops and touristy trappings. Still, parts of it are pleasing to look at. I fueled up and hit the 93 north just ahead of a group of Harleys, passing some resorts on the way to the Broken Arrow Resort which I arrived at after 400 miles at 4:40 pm. See my write up under Gatherings

Friday: At approx. 7:30 AM I headed north on the 93 taking sweepers and tight hairpin curves while being mindful of the elk and deer I saw standing close to the road as I was heading up to the top of the pass that crested at just over 7,000 feet at the Idaho/Montana state lines. From there I turned east on the 43 to Big Hole Nat Battlefield (well worth the stop if you're into the history of the American west) and into Wisdom were I procured gas and an early cup of coffee.

Somewhere on the 43 south of Wisdom Montana.

a21b6e94603dbaf3f2ab7023cffd8cda.jpg



By pure luck I stumbled across a hidden gem of a road called the Pioneer Mt/s Scenic Byway. I've been passing these mts from the east on I-15 going on 2 decades and this road goes right through the backside. An ABSOLUTE MUST on a bike!!!!

9a5abd97e1c9afb4efbfdb8d7234fcc0.jpg


I came off this road onto the 43 at Wise River Montana where I fueled up and headed south on the frontage road after hitting I-15. I followed the frontage all the way south into Dillon...an excellent stretch of the old 60's red/pink agate (???) material used for roads back then. It was like riding on sandpaper and instilled confidence that had me hitting triple digits repeatedly :blush:

Bridge on that stretch of road.

a1ce464d89d92a20592a4193b39a2f7f.jpg


Then on to Dillon Mt on the 278. Leaving Dillon on the 41 north east I hit the following towns Twin Bridges-Sheridan-Alder (where I had a late lunch) Virginia City (tourist trap) and Ennis on the 287. From there I went ever south and skirted west Yellowstone via the 20 and Island Park.

Trying to outrun a random thunderstorm west of Yellowstone. I had to do this two or 3 times during the day at various places.

775d587164d7fbea664cb4b67f238201.jpg


Eventually I ended up in Driggs, Idaho on the 33 and headed south east over the pass into Jackson.

On top of the pass to the west of Jackson/Jackson Hole looking east.

8bfa3f4a5e8a50641660fb5a4b033404.jpg



Getting gas at Hoback Junction I went east on the 191 about 8 miles and camped at hoback campground within 25 yards of the river. At 9 PM I had some hot Land-O-Lakes hot mint chocolate with a shot of Jameson and called it a night.

Campsite. I slept like a baby on my $200 Thermarest after knocking out almost 600 miles

8f9c537cac0f98483a56ffbb9f0a0b1a.jpg



Saturday: On the road by 6:45 and cold as all get out. Luckily I put on my jacket liner but even that didn't take the severe bite out of the cold. There was frost on the seat as I climbed on the CB and pointed her north at the Hoback Roundabout. A short time Later I was looking at the Grand Teton and SNAP SNAP had the pics to prove it and was heading back south through Jackson and into Alpine Wy (where I had breakfast) and Star Valley.

The Wyoming Range in background, lesser known red headed cousin of the Wind Rivers Wilderness.

ff8cc2dc3521a59e46f8808991322e34.jpg


As the sun warmed up my black jacket and I spent more time out of, instead of in, the shadows I started to get feeling back in my hands and hammered south at well above legal limits on the 89 either through or by Freedom, Thayne, Afton, Cokeville Wy and finally onto the 16 towards Woodruff and Randolph UT where I turned west on the 39 through the backside of the Wasatch Range climbing over Monte Cristo at a little over 9,000 feet, through the Ogden Valley, past snow Basin Resort down trappers loop onto I-84 for a short burst home.

Downtown Afton, WY:

251456940500d500d05e32fc5350683f.jpg



My house sits within a mile of these mt's on the other side

c068b1733e6c26e6e0b69a99d15c1fd5.jpg
 
Man, I love that country. These pics are awesome reminders of the beauty of that side of our country.

More please
 
Thread starter
Random pics along the way

On the east side of Monte Cristo UT heading west to the summit. Still low arid scrub land

3ec88ffa33829e00fb89a207ae1318bf.jpg


Main street in Randolph Utah. Little known factoid. Randolph runs neck and neck with Warroad, Minnesota for being the coldest place in the lower 48.

8dc974b923758227eb658476babe05b7.jpg


Gran Teton from the west looking east. That was Friday PM before I crested the pass to the south of them into Jackson.

8c2f45534a2fc740b5e4e62ffd7597d7.jpg


Sat AM about 7:45 am looking at them from the east just north of Jackson

b18cd52c3ad4187c852e626bfde06108.jpg


Dinner in camp Friday night.

9d8b8ce19bac1141ce5487cec508f809.jpg


Somewhere just south of West Yellowstone

96869fd35283c4d9652e0b7a27532723.jpg


In Wisdom Montana for a coffee stop. Almost bought a Stormy Kromer vest but didn't have any in extra husky. :blush:

94e0c23b0c6c98028d2c391a6bf3b226.jpg


On the Pioneer Mt Scenic Byway in Montana south of Wisdom

fa0575c0b26a3824db8592e47c49d2ab.jpg
 
Excellent trip and great routing. Very jealous. Thanks for sharing the pics! Another neat spot that I imagine you've been is Redfish Lake, near Stanley, ID. Took a ride through there many Septembers ago on a ride north to Banff, via Kalispell. Freezing cold in the morning!
 
Great pics and report Frulk. Stunning country you got to ride through.
 
Beautiful, thanks for the travelogue. I've only been out in that part of the country to ski, really want to ride it extensively some day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great photos of your trip! I love that part of our country and would really like to ride it someday soon! Thanks for sharing.
 
I had forgotten that I had been in that I have been in that part of Montana/Idaho until I read this post. The Big Hole National Monument rang a bell. Not on a bike back then but did some nice hiking and moose watching. A friend was caretaker at a small hot spring resort just a few miles north, off 93. Didn't get as far south as Gibbonsville then, so I'm getting excited now. Jon Z
 
Thread starter
I'm resurrecting this thread. For the past few days I've been prepping the 2005 Road King (with 68K miles) to retrace almost the exact same route I took with the CB1100 4 years ago. While we're a forum dedicated to the CB1100, we're also riders, who for the most part seem to be able to appreciate just about any platform on two wheels and I thought it would be interesting to read the opinions of someone who completed the same multi-day route on two totally different bikes which he currently owns.

I've long held that the CB can do just about anything. Maybe not best-in-class but certainly with very few shortcomings. On the previous trip the CB didn't have some of the mods it currently has (lower adjustable foot pegs/larger, lockable aluminum top box/RC2/Honda OEM Rear Rack etc.). Even so, it did an admirable job being pressed into service as a 'naked sport tourer' over the 1,200 + miles. I'd go so far as to say that in this particular niche it's probably close to the top of the class (if that class even exists).

It's weight along with minimal body work helps to keep it planted solidly in cross winds. Range is acceptable at 160 miles before you need to seriously start looking for gas. With the mods I feel it only increased its cross country utility as storage space and comfort increased significantly. You could obviously do better, and for sure you could do a lot worse for a long distance platform.

Along comes the Road King: One would think that the King would immediately have a significant advantage as a mile eater. It's big, comfortable, and has a longer tank range. However, on this trip where large sections of the roads are mountainous 2-laners two of three at face value advantages could easily be liabilities.

I'll post some prep pictures of the bike later today and then a bunch of pics of the trip on the road after I arrive back home.
 
Frulk, I'm just down I-15 from you in Utah county. I grew up in Idaho. I would love to go with you. However, I'm an elementary school principal, and every waking minute for the next two weeks is filled with preparations for school to open in the middle of a pandemic. Sigh... Maybe next summer...
 
Thread starter
We talked about getting together previously. You're pretty far south of me and with construction being a life long event on I-15 it's pretty hard to get together. I'm up around/close to Ogden. Leaving in the AM. Weather should be stellar and most of those roads will have little traffic. I'm actually in the process of loading the fly fishing gear on the bike right now.
 
So tempted to say, "Screw it!" and jump on the bike. I just put on crash bars and highway pegs earlier this summer. And it would be so nice to get out of the near-100-degree weather for a while. Reality bites.

Maybe I'll do the Helper-Duschesne-Heber City-Home loop on Sunday. That's about a 4 hour trip through the mountains with a nice bed at the end ;)

Have a great trip, and keep the shiny side up, Frulk. Looking forward to more photos!
 
Thread starter
That is a great loop. But nowadays oil/gas tanker truck traffic is bad heading east to Heber. Maybe not on a Saturday/Sunday and with the down turn in oil prices. I have a good friend who used to be our neighbor growing up as a teen that's buried in the Duchesne cemetery. If you go take the 208 to the 35 through Tabiona and Hanna to Francis then into Heber. I did that route coming back from the Django trip and it was very scenic compared to the road around Strawberry which I've done a hundred times. The CB crushes that stretch and you crest a small pass to boot!
 
Hey, Frulk, I for one will look forward to the report and the comparison. Ride well and have a great trip.
 
^+1^, now days safe riding is very important. Enjoy your trip with a happy return home!
 
I'll join Cormanus and PB on wishing you a great safe trip and look forward to the ride report and comparo
 
Back
Top