I will stay in touch with this forum

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
After 3 seasons and 12,000 miles, I'm switching from Honda to Triumph. I had just left the Honda dealer in Middlefield, Ohio with 4 quarts of GN 10w30 oil and a filter.

Needed to stop by the local BMW dealer for a filter and oil for the old (1991) R100GS.

This was last Saturday, cloudy, not a riding day, so I was caging it. When I pulled into the BMW dealer's lot, what is parked in front of me but a lovely 2016 Triumph T 120. My closest riding buddy has a 2016 in the same color scheme .... cranberry and silver. It was a trade in.

This particular Bonnie has a grand total of 1500 miles on the odometer. So we're dealing. I absolutely didn't want to go from 3 to 4 bikes in the garage. The 2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport wouldn't bring any trade in dollars. And for sure I wasn't trading my 1991 R100GS I've owned since April, 1991. So it is with very mixed emotions that I'm trading the CB1100 on the T 120.

I'll stay in touch with the CB Forum. You've all been a great bunch, supporting a great bike!

Bob (Ohiorider)
 
Well you ard getting a great bike, my younger brother has a 16 Cranberry and silver T 120. He loves it.

Hang around, let us know how you lije it and ride safe.
 
Congratulations, Bob. Please stay in touch. Let us know how you find the Triumph.
 
Two main gripes you should be aware of, regarding the 2016 T120. The first is condensation clouding the instrument clusters in winter. Triumph never did address this issue. The second issue is one which owners of the 2017 CB1100 EX are well aware: squealing from the front brake rotors. Triumph provided a permanent, factory-level fix for this issue, in the form of a large rubber boot on the hub behind the rotors. If your bike doesn't have this addition, no worries, it can be retrofitted.
 
There are a couple of recalls you might check into and see if they have been done. One with regards to fueling and one electrical. Motohio is a dealer up in your area.
 
I bought a new 2006 Bonneville and already had my Honda CB900F (919).
It's an "old bike" now, but I wouldn't part with it. I upgraded all the suspension and brakes and it's a joy to ride.
When the CB1100 became available I couldn't resist so I have both to enjoy.
That said, those new Bonneville range Triumphs sure are enticing :D :D :D
 
Enjoy your Bonneville! As someone who has ridden one for quite a while, if you are ever in a parking lot or on the side of the road, standing next to the bike while talking on the phone, prepare for people to ask you if you need help. They'll assume that your old British bike is broken, and that you are stranded.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Enjoy your Bonneville! As someone who has ridden one for quite a while, if you are ever in a parking lot or on the side of the road, standing next to the bike while talking on the phone, prepare for people to ask you if you need help. They'll assume that your old British bike is broken, and that you are stranded.
I get that even with the Honda. (*sigh*)

However, very nice for people to care!
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Two main gripes you should be aware of, regarding the 2016 T120. The first is condensation clouding the instrument clusters in winter. Triumph never did address this issue. The second issue is one which owners of the 2017 CB1100 EX are well aware: squealing from the front brake rotors. Triumph provided a permanent, factory-level fix for this issue, in the form of a large rubber boot on the hub behind the rotors. If your bike doesn't have this addition, no worries, it can be retrofitted.
VLJ, thanks for the insight into two potential issues. I'm glad to see that you're feeling up to offering me some good advice, considering your recent mishap. Well, I deposited half the down payment today, and then went out into the shop where the bike was stored, just to give it one more visual inspection. Looked great! Then turned on the ignition and punched the starter. Beautiful sounds emanated from the dual pipes! I'm excited.

VLJ, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bob (Ohiorider)
 
Love how that T120 motor sounds at idle, blipping the throttle. Love how it sounds and feels at normal speeds, too. Great deep rumble.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Love how that T120 motor sounds at idle, blipping the throttle. Love how it sounds and feels at normal speeds, too. Great deep rumble.
Well, got her (the T120) home today. I must admit, I felt severe pangs of regret as I saw the CB leaving home in the dealer's trailer. She was a sweet motorcycle! I can only home the T120 has as high a level build quality as the Honda. Somehow, I doubt it.

Time will tell.

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
Love how that T120 motor sounds at idle, blipping the throttle. Love how it sounds and feels at normal speeds, too. Great deep rumble.
Well, got her (the T120) home today. I must admit, I felt severe pangs of regret as I saw the CB leaving home in the dealer's trailer. She was a sweet motorcycle! I can only home the T120 has as high a level build quality as the Honda. Somehow, I doubt it.

Time will tell.

Bob
Well, got her (the T120) home today. I must admit, I felt severe pangs of regret as I saw the CB leaving home in the dealer's trailer. She was a sweet motorcycle! I can only home the T120 has as high a level build quality as the Honda. Somehow, I doubt it.

Time will tell.

Bob
As long as the passion to ride burns within, you will find your way.

Enjoy the new ride and may it fulfill that burn.
 
Ohio, no need to leave. I read with interest the recounting of the trials and tribulations you went through trying to dial in the CB's suspension. No doubt you're one of our forums experts on the subject and your insight will be of value when a newbie starts asking questions. Stick around. As I consider myself a motorcyclist and not just a Honda fan I have more than a passing interest in Triumphs current offerings. More than happy to hear from a forum members about other brands. Besides, you know as well as most of us there are a lot of CB owners that appreciate Triumphs.
 
Agreed. Arguably, without English brands like Triumph, maybe the Honda CB family may have not existed, or look like what we appreciate today. The "CB" would maybe have looked like a Ducati or sumthin'.
 
Thread starter
Here's my not too informative note I sent to my good riding buddy who bought his T120 in the spring of 2016. His bike currently has about 13,000 miles on the odometer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally decided to brave the cold 20 minutes ago, fire up the T120, and take several short blasts up to a neighbor’s turn circle and back. Haven't done a thing to the bike, didn't mess with clutch cable, and didn’t drain the gas (yet.) She shifted pretty darn well. I think this old girl simply needs some miles put on her! I need to check tire pressure, or it could simply be the difference between the Triumph and the CB. Different turn in feel at slow speed. Fresh oil and filter couldn't hurt. My neighbors probably wondered who was running 55mph up and down our street, or if I'd totally flipped out!

Personal observations:
a. This is one beautiful motorcycle. Hope you're ok with us now having twins. This color trim is my favorite of the T120 lineup. (Aluminum Silver and Cranberry.) I don't even find the brown saddle unattractive, but the stock black one was included in the sale.
b. It seems to fit me nicely.
c. Love those heated grips. Warm up fast. The hot position was just right for today’s very short run.
d. She's geared tall, but has the engine to pull the taller gearing. 1st is nice. Moves out quickly.
e. Doesn't feel torque bound. A lot of torque, but willing to rev easily.
f. And the exhaust tone ....... love it!. Kind of wish Triumph would have retained the 360 degree crank, but the 270 sound is interesting.
g. Feels like she would be comfortable making a trip. Just something about those Triumphs! Thinking back to 2006, when we rode our T100's from Cleveland to Four Corners, up to Cody, and then headed home.
h. Next investment should be a gas fired garage heater!
 
Back
Top