I tip my cap to Indian

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
When the rumors that Indian was going to build a street tracker started to surface I was more than a bit skeptical. Well, here we are getting ready to head into 2019 and Indian has truly managed to surprise me. I was confident that Indian wasn't going to be able to achieve what we saw in the concepts, but they came much closer than I would have imagined.

I know that this won't be everyone's cup of tea and I could think of a few things that I'd like to have seen done differently, but this is a much bolder step that I was expecting from Indian. For that, I tip my cap to them. I hope sales of this bike manage to exceed my expectations — it won't take many. That's more of a knock on motorcycle sales overall these days than it is about this bike in particular.

2019 Indian FTR 1200 S

[url=https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/ftr1200/]2019 Indian FTR 1200
 
Impressive...and bold.



 
they look great, and I'm so glad to see an American Motorcycle company doing something that makes more sense for the market.

Having watched it and seen some of the stats come out of the development process for this bike, i'm strongly worried that it may be seriously overpriced for what it delivers. it's kind of the same thing that our CB suffered/continues to suffer, in that most buyers find a competative bike to be a better buy in the same category/price range.

my biggest hope is that indian won't get all pouty if it doesn't sell and will continue trying to make things like this.
 
Wow! That's a different looking beast for Indian. I hope they have good luck with it.
 
I like the looks of the production model far more than the concept bike.

But someone is going to have to explain to me how it is somehow more aesthetically pleasing to have a short stubby tail with that ugly licence plate bracket from the swing arm as opposed to a normal tail with the traditional plate mount.

The CB1000R is the same way and I don't like it at all.
 
Not my type of bike but a great effort by Indian to make something besides the same old foot forward cruisers. I hope they sell many of them.
 
m in sc_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
I like the looks of the production model far more than the concept bike.

But someone is going to have to explain to me how it is somehow more aesthetically pleasing to have a short stubby tail with that ugly licence plate bracket from the swing arm as opposed to a normal tail with the traditional plate mount.

The CB1000R is the same way and I don't like it at all.
because its supposed to be a flat tracker, that's what they look like. no offense, but if all bikes looked like ujms (cb), the world would be a very boring place.

e00b776f4589a0cf0dcdb1f273e3379a.jpg
because its supposed to be a flat tracker, that's what they look like. no offense, but if all bikes looked like ujms (cb), the world would be a very boring place.

201ac15abdb0634d457da800748b1820.jpg

Ah, but you left the bottom part of my statement out which changes the context of what I said.

The new CB1000R is not a flat tracker and it has the same back end as does the new Katana, hmm also not a flat tracker. MT series, Diavel, shall I continue?

So back to my original question - How does the stubby tail and ugly bracket make bikes (that are not flat trackers) look better?

And for the record I own 3 bikes, only one of which is a UJM so don't presume to know what I like.

Oh and thanks for the picture - condescending much?
 
Thread starter
The bracket mount license plate beats sticking it anywhere near the short tail. (I've personally never been a fan of the fender eliminator look with the license plate sticking out or tucked under.) Without a fender there's just no place to put the plate without it really messing up the lines completely. Plus that bracket styling is far more in vogue with the younger crowd. This bike is more of a modern interpretation of a street tracker from the company that is utterly and completely dominating flat track at this point in time. To me, that's pretty cool regardless of how it looks. I don't see this bike as competing with either the CB1100 or the CB1000R. I'd say it's definitely in a class of it's own. While I wouldn't trade my CB in for one, I can still admire it for what it is, bracket mounted license plate and all.

By the way, for my clarification what was condescending about the photo that was included?
 
I found his whole post somewhat condescending, I do know what a flat tracker looks like. Plus, it has been my experience that when someone says "no offense but..." they are usually being offensive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the FTR1200 which may replace my Ulysses in a couple of years. But I disagree with you about the look of the knew brackets everyone is using. I would much prefer the method as used on the new CB300R as opposed to the side bracket.
 
Whether the picture is relevant to the conversation or not, that is an outstanding pic of KR, rear end sliding around, throwing a small rooster tail, while the front tire is clawing in the air, with KR crossed up and on the gas. Amazing talent.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
post is about an indian flat tracker model. I could care less about the other bike, and i didn't mention it. dont get your panties in a wad. I own 12 bikes, none have that tail. well, one, sort of, does. .02. The pic was to illustrate, not be condescending. and if you own a cb1100... its a ujm. i own one too, its not a bad thing. Just, is what it is. :biker: :thumbsup:
In the words of Sergeant Hulka, Lighten up Francis. I don't want things spiraling further downward at this point.

By the way, this thread is not about an Indian flat tracker, but rather an Indian street tracker. To mimic the look of a flat track bike they've intentionally kept the tail end of the bike short. On the street that becomes problematic for those who ride in the rain. That same rear support that holds the license plate also contains a rear splash guard to help keep the crud from the wet street off of the rider's back. Obviously that's of no concern on a flat track bike.
 
Ok, seriously is there an ignore function on here because if I have to read any more of his nonsense I'm going to get really mad.
 
Thread starter
Look, I’ve stepped in with a warning that I tried to keep light-hearted. It was noted and accepted. I said right up front I realized this bike wasn’t going to appeal to everyone. You asked for people to explain to you how such an (in your opinion) ugly choice could be made for the back end. Explanations were given. I have another thought for you — it’s called getting old. Things change and they aren’t always to our liking, that’s life.

Speaking of which, in this case I’m afraid that you’re simply going to have to engage the old-school ignore tactic by stepping away from this thread. This stuff isn’t worth getting mad over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
There’s an issue with the license plate bracket? I haven’t made it back that far yet. I’m unable to get past that muffler(s)
 
No issue, Frulk. W/R doesn’t like it and asked why anyone would use that style of guard and bracket.
 
Thread starter
I believe that Frulk was having a bit of fun at the exhaust system’s expense, lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ah ... silly me. :-/
 
With a set of high pipes similar to the proto it would clean that mess up. One would still have to deal with the license plate relocation and the terrible line of the seat. I'm happy it made it to a real model although I think Triumph should have beat them to the punch 10 years ago.
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
With a set of high pipes similar to the proto it would clean that mess up. One would still have to deal with the license plate relocation and the terrible line of the seat. I'm happy it made it to a real model although I think Triumph should have beat them to the punch 10 years ago.
I'd be more impressed if Triumph could once again field a competitive entry in the world of flat track racing. That's probably part of what fuels my enthusiasm for the Indian street tracker — the fact that it comes on the tail of their renewed dedication to flat track racing. Like many of the others, I'm not totally smitten with the looks of the FTR1200 (I do however think that the FTR750 is an awesome looking flat tracker). But the fact that it ties into such a great story that happens fall nicely in line with the brand's heritage does put a smile on my face.

Still, I wouldn't mind if Triumph launched a street tracker of their own. Maybe one that takes some styling cues from this bike...

cabc306e82b07bd497c9959869876fdf.jpg
 
Back
Top