I think this is gonna be the next one.

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
SR400, a bigger version of the Wolf Classic 150, kick start only.

Less than $6K. Saw it when it first came out but was not interested, but now I am very much. I got a decent trade sitting here as a big down payment, too (no, not the CB1100).
[attachment=5772]
These bikes are so cheap to insure and own, too, and this one's EFI. Sport heritage bikes, real easy to ride and fun. I like the 18" wheels, spokes are nice too.
 
I like the SR 400.
So I went out testriding one in the last summer at the local Yamaha dealer. The testrode did not last that long, because I quickly found out, the way the relative small engine offers its power was way beyound my expectations, in other words it felt very weak and need some, too much time to build up useful speed. Not my bike. I'm used to the W800 and the CB and don't drive them like speedmonsters, but I like their in my eyes torqueful character. The Yami may also have it , I couldn't find it, the engine felt too limited and restricted. The Yamaha now disappears from the German market in 2017. It also disappears from my radar. I like it.

Wisedrum
 
The SR 400 is a great looking bike. I never test road it, but it's responsible for me buying the CB. I wanted the classic standard look.....with power :) there is a compression relief lever on the handlebar to make it easier to start, but it didn't help the salesman.
 
It's a very pretty bike, always liked it. Here in Europe the general consensus was that it is way overpriced (which I agree with) and therefore unfortunately Yamaha sold very few of them. At a (much) lower price I would love to pick one up for fun. The quirky kick-start (you need to fiddle with the lever before kick-starting, as it will only start in a certain position) adds to the "cool-ness", but I fear that might wear off after a while. Especially if you stall the bike in traffic.
 
I feel it absolutely will wear off in a while. Or maybe at the first time you stall it in traffic and five cars start blowing their horns and revving their engines behind you.
 
Before the CB came out I looked at one too. I thought it was overpriced what with a rear drum brake and no electric start. So no sale.
 
Ulve, please ride that thing first. I did, at a Yamaha demo, and found it to be authentic to the n'th degree, in a way that a '78 Chevy Laguna or 8 track tape deck is. If you dig it, more power to you. But it's a 'must- ride first' bike.
 
Good looking bike.
Funny how as we gain "more experience" we are attracted to what first brought us into motorcycling - simple good looking machines that are just fun to ride.
 
interesting looking bike .
like Thumpers , the XL500S being my favorite. had a LX600 I liked less and an XL650 I hated .
 
They sell scads of these things in Thailand and Asia. Open up the airbox and exhaust. See Youtube. It's a bit like walking vs driving in the car. You can just cruise and experience your surroundings. That's the idea. I had a SUZ TU250 and enjoyed it. But I could only have one bike and was on the highway quite a bit.
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
Ulve, please ride that thing first. I did, at a Yamaha demo, and found it to be authentic to the n'th degree, in a way that a '78 Chevy Laguna or 8 track tape deck is. If you dig it, more power to you. But it's a 'must- ride first' bike.
Is it the vibration you're mainly referring to here? That would be a serious problem but nearly all the riding I plan to do on the bike would be around town and tight mountain/canyon stuff.

The power is no issue, I've got (as I've carried on about before) several bikes with far more power than I could ever figure out what to do with.

What say you?
 
It's everything, really. Suspension, vibration, transmission. Got up to 60mph, but I didn't want to stay there. Scraped it on a mild corner. It's authentic, for sure, whatever that means. And it sure looks vintage- y. But my old GB500 feels much more complete.

Again, just reporting on an actual test ride, and I don't have the same definition of authenticity or criteria that you do. But I'd give it a ride if possible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
It's everything, really. Suspension, vibration, transmission. Got up to 60mph, but I didn't want to stay there. Scraped it on a mild corner. It's authentic, for sure, whatever that means. And it sure looks vintage- y. But my old GB500 feels much more complete.

Again, just reporting on an actual test ride, and I don't have the same definition of authenticity or criteria that you do. But I'd give it a ride if possible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now you WOULD mention you own a GB500. There's a bike I'd like to have. What a nice machine.

As far as cornering prowess, there again, it wouldn't be for that, but a smooth line and bit of body english do work wonders even on a bike with little lean angle. Heck, the CB1100 has lousy cornering clearance but I love riding it. I just keep within its limits.

The vibration would be my only concern. We'll see, but thanks for the heads-up because I'd hate to get stuck with something weird.
 
Back
Top