I screwed up big time....

Thread starter
Well- I kinda have to put it back in or buy another one.

With the addition of my new velocity stacks, I’m already going to (hopefully) move more air.

So the power commander map I already have should be rich enough that I won’t need to worry about going lean.

Without it- I wouldn’t want to risk it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That’s great news Josh. Max is a fine diagnostician.
 
Great job dubs!! and as usual, good info from Max.
 
This has been like reading a good detective story, but we still don't know who done it. I am really glad to see that it fired up and seems to be doing okay. Hope you can pin-point what fried and replace it easily. Congratulations!
 
Thread starter
Came back to the garage, turn the key in the bike fired right up.

And then reinstall the power commander, and the bike would not start.

Took the power commander back out and the bike fired up again.

So will move forward with mailing them back to Dynojet and see what they say. At the very least they can test the autotune to see if it fried or not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Looks like you found the culprit. I am glad you figured it out. Nice detective work and help from your friends. Glad you didn't get that ECU after all.
 
Yes, it was interesting to say the least, i was a little surprised that an experienced guy like dubs connected the negative and then the positive terminal, the battery negative is like the fuse of a circuit, you put the fuse in if everything else is checked out to power the circuit.

I wonder if he is going to use his multimeter to see if the ground between the lan cable and the negative lead of the pcv is still intact or if the circuit board inside has operated as a fuse and opened up.........we'll see eh?
 
Thread starter
Honest mistake if you read the original post- the Battery Tender lead has a black wire with red O-ring end as it's positive cable- and the O-ring supplied with the Autotune box has a red end on it as well. I just wasn't paying attention.

As for why it all of a sudden started working- who knows. When in doubt- reboot. Computers are weird.

Thanks for all the assistance though!!
 
It seems to me a very strange thing to put a red O-ring on a negative terminal given the universal convention of red being positive. It seems to me a very honest mistake.

Does sound like the smoke was coming from the PCV or Autotune box.
 
Thread starter
Oddly the power commander reads just fine to the desktop pc- so only ‘part’ of it’s brain or wiring get fried. No clue on the autotune- so I’m sending both of them in for inspection.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Found a new power commander 5 at a 3rd party since Dynojet discontinued them and the new 6 version is limited.

Just installed it and the bike started right up. Still need to purchase another single channel autotune box so that I can have an apples to apples comparison from the stock velocity stacks to my custom ones for a dyno.

Then it gets yanked out and I install the 4-4 exhaust and dual channel autotune setup.
 
Nice going Dubs, You're not the only one that's destroyed electronics, let me tell you, it just gets better over time you start smoking less and less...

Thanks for the update.
 
Back
Top