I rode my CB for the first time today and dropped it.

The OP states correctly that boat shoes were part of the problem. I believe this one fact is the single cause of the incident. Boat shoes are designed to be worn on boats and should be put on just before boarding. The sole has no grip at all on grass.
 
I have one more embarrassing than that. About 15 yrs ago I used to use my CB400 HAWK to commute to school. I had I nice little move where I would pull into the parking space and hit the front brake hard and put the kickstand down, then as the bike bounced back I would pull my right leg over the back and step off. It was one fluid motion and worked great, until it didn't one time. Luckily that bike had highway bars and was easy to pick up, and only one person saw me.
 
Flashman_imp said:
Thank you all for your replies.

I posted about my embarrassing incident as a “after action” report that might save others from the same problem. Something I went thru during my working career.

As to picking up the bike - I am sixty one and have 2 artificial knees and a
fully healed broken femur caused by a gun shot wound 30 years ago, that still hurts from time to time. I have no problems with my back or neck and don’t want to start.

Of the three of us who lifted up the bike I was the youngest. My waterfront neighborhood is full or retirees who keep boats behind their houses to go fishing, not exactly a stressful physical activity.

One poster asked why I had to lean the bike to the right to set down the stand. A good question considering how poorly I worded my description.

What I meant to say was I shifted the weight to my right leg, before my right foot slipped.

I’m looking for advice on proper footwear for the CB1100 or any bike. I’ll start a new thread.

This is a great forum. The most civil of the three I belong to - one about boats, one about firearms, and this one.

Mike
A soft sole bike boot to prevent slip if your feet hit the oily patch on stop light. Thick leather, all weather. Harley Davidson shoes are good so are their leather jackets
 
Good advice on lifting bikes, techniques, leverage etc. and don't forget the possibility of a very hot engine and exhaust! In my humble opinion depending on your situation it's better to assess the situation, seek help, wait and orchestrate it properly.. I have helped people with heavier bikes and it's always let's just get it done and get out of here thought process.
 
Flashman_imp said:
I rode my CB for the first time today and dropped it.

It’s been six years since I sold my Nighthawk so I knew I was rusty.

So I spent a couple of hours just riding around my waterfront neighborhood where all streets end in cul-de-sacs and if you keep going you’re in the drink.

Never got out of second gear.

Came back to the house and tried to park as close to the edge of the driveway as possible, came to a complete stop, and planted my right foot down in the grass. As I leaned the bike slightly to the right so I could use my left foot to set down the stand my right foot slipped in the grass and over we went.

I called AAA and they said they would send out a crane equipped wrecker to pick the bike up.

A bit later I and 3 neighbors got the bike upright. No damage at all except to my pride. I canceled the wrecker.

Note to self -

1. I am very greatfull I was wearing a helmet. Even though I had no forward motion my head smacked pretty hard.

2. Do not wear boat shoes when riding.

3. Be thankful that it rained a lot in the last week and the yard was soft.

Mike
Palm Coast FL.
Flip-flops is the way to go. ;) Glad you and the bike are both OK.
 
i again beg to differ, one or four finger means little as long as the right pressure not abruptly. I use all 4 fingers at all time just in case I need to stop in panic. as far as lock up the front, it is hard to do so unless you are in turn. I try in parking lot, the rear raises before anything else.
 
Hey we've got really good brakes, but we don't have giant carbon fiber brakes. I have ridden bikes where one finger will get the job done ( a BMW R1200R I rented had crazy strong front brakes) but my CB isn't one of them. i cover with two, but I won't hesitate to use 4 if I have to stop in a hurry...PLUS the rear brake.
 
When taking the MSF, the instructors were watching us like hawks to make sure we used all 4 fingers over the handles. For the clutch, I guess it's just easier with less finger fatigue, and that's completely intuitive...I've never struggled with that idea. But for the brake, I think the main reason for this was to allow us to use our full hand strength on the brake, and also to ensure that in a panic stop, the brake lever wouldn't get "blocked" by pinching the remaining fingers between the grip and lever.
Now, to actually do that, you'd have to put those front brakes on HARD...to the point where I'm almost certain the wheel would lock up, or send the rear skyward.

In my experience since taking the MSF, I've found myself using different fingers in braking for different situations, even odd things like braking with the outer 3 fingers while keeping the index & thumb wrapped to slightly feather the throttle. Weird, but it works out pretty darn good for certain aspects. I'm sure other riders are probably the same.
 
A bit later I and 3 neighbors got the bike upright. No damage at all except to my pride.


Good to hear that nothing was damaged. Pride repairs itself over time.
I owned a 650 Maxim in the 80s and pulled into a dealership. Saw a bike exactly like mine so I decided to park next to it. (Mine had a windscreen.) When I went to put it on the center stand, the wind caught the fairing and blew it away from me and over onto the other Maxim! Both bikes went down. To add insult to injury, the other Maxim belonged to the owner of the dealership...

There is embarrassment and then there is Weapons Grade Stupid.. That day, I qualified for WGS badge..

Happy riding!
G
 
back in the day before clutch switch..........soon as I pressed the start button boom forward I go and then down I go, lesson learned.
 
I was just taking my brother's '07 Duc Multistrada out of the garage in GA. There was just enough room to scoot by the cars on the right side, or so I thought. I was paddling along with my feet and Ooops! I had to put my right foot on the grass because his saddlebag on the left was hitting the car. I had to yell to him and have him help me hold the thing up before it had a chance to fall over. Nearly got a hernia and a pulled calf muscle and a heart attack. When in doubt, make sure there is plenty of room and if there is, to hell with the edge of the driveway.
 
Flashman_imp said:
I rode my CB for the first time today and dropped it.

It’s been six years since I sold my Nighthawk so I knew I was rusty.

So I spent a couple of hours just riding around my waterfront neighborhood where all streets end in cul-de-sacs and if you keep going you’re in the drink.

Never got out of second gear.

Came back to the house and tried to park as close to the edge of the driveway as possible, came to a complete stop, and planted my right foot down in the grass. As I leaned the bike slightly to the right so I could use my left foot to set down the stand my right foot slipped in the grass and over we went.

I called AAA and they said they would send out a crane equipped wrecker to pick the bike up.

A bit later I and 3 neighbors got the bike upright. No damage at all except to my pride. I canceled the wrecker.

Note to self -

1. I am very greatfull I was wearing a helmet. Even though I had no forward motion my head smacked pretty hard.

2. Do not wear boat shoes when riding.

3. Be thankful that it rained a lot in the last week and the yard was soft.

Mike
Palm Coast FL.
Don't feel bad.The CB 1100 does sit rather high and for me I felt
like I was slipping forward on the seat.It takes a little getting used to. But the bike is such a hoot to ride.Really easy and breezie and
quick quick.best brakes on a bike I ever had.The gearbox and
clutch are as snappy smooth as any bike I've had.The Rune is a little
more smooth but I haven't broken in the CB yet.
But I had to get my legs even after about the 4th time I took it
for a ride.I'm used to big heavy cruisers.But I also can hop on the
bike lickety split and take off in nothing flat.However the bike does
take a good 3-4 minutes to idle down.When I got the bike from the dealer,they started it and handed it over to me.I took about a minute
to check out the feel and then plopped it in gear.It stalled out.
Because it was still in warm-up mode { I didn't know it takes a
few minutes to get out of warm up mode }.
 
Back
Top