I rode my CB for the first time today and dropped it.

Flashman_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I rode my CB for the first time today and dropped it.

It’s been six years since I sold my Nighthawk so I knew I was rusty.

So I spent a couple of hours just riding around my waterfront neighborhood where all streets end in cul-de-sacs and if you keep going you’re in the drink.

Never got out of second gear.

Came back to the house and tried to park as close to the edge of the driveway as possible, came to a complete stop, and planted my right foot down in the grass. As I leaned the bike slightly to the right so I could use my left foot to set down the stand my right foot slipped in the grass and over we went.

I called AAA and they said they would send out a crane equipped wrecker to pick the bike up.

A bit later I and 3 neighbors got the bike upright. No damage at all except to my pride. I canceled the wrecker.

Note to self -

1. I am very greatfull I was wearing a helmet. Even though I had no forward motion my head smacked pretty hard.

2. Do not wear boat shoes when riding.

3. Be thankful that it rained a lot in the last week and the yard was soft.

Mike
Palm Coast FL.
 
That's an unfortunate, and yes, an embarrassing incident. But it's good to know that the only damage done was to your pride. Much better to take a fall in the front yard than out in the streets, on the open road, or in your case "in the drink". I'll bet your sense for all things riding-related will return sooner than you think. And yes, definitely leave the boat shoes behind when your out on the bike.

Glad you and your CB are OK.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
OMG, hah hahaha ha
Oh...hope you and the bike are OK
MY Shadow fell over several times in the 9 years I rode it and broke something every time. So it happens to the best of us.
Hope your not too sore tomorrow.
 
You are not the first person to drop a bike and wont be the last trust me. I pulled in the driveway after a nice long ride on a previously owned Sportster and went to turn it around so I could back it in the garage. We had a bunch of rain and the grass was wet so my front wheel went off the drive when it was fully cut in my turn about and she slid right out from under me. :s Stood there pissed off and embarrassed but I manged to get it up on my own. Snapped off a clutch lever and banged up a mirror but my pride was hurt the most.

It was all I could do to pick it up. There was a video somewhere that showed the proper way to pick up a bike if you drop them and I will see if I can find it. Showed a guy picking up a Gold Wing and some really heavy bikes. Its all technique and know how if it ever happens.

Here is a video of a girl picking up a sportster. She sure make it look easier than me picking up mine in the driveway. :blush:

 
I did almost that exact same thing in 1975 with a Yamaha XS650. Wet grass and slipped foot and down it went. No damage and no one saw me :)

Been lucky since then, knock on wood.
 
I got back into bikes with a brand new 2009 Suzuki GS500 which I promptly tipped over in slick grass in my yard. The left turn signal bracket cracked the fairing.

Glad to hear no damage.
 
Team Bob_imp said:
You can't pick up a CB1100? I've never heard of calling AAA to pick up a bike, except for maybe a Gold Wing.
Elsewhere on this site there is a poll for the average age of CB1100 buyers. To put it mildly, this bike is not exactly selling to a young demographic. Most members here have quite a few miles (as in years of age) under their belts. I'm sure that many here also experience any number of ailments that often come along for the ride. I don't know what the OP's personal situation is like, but I can say that it took a fair amount of humility to share such a first ride experience with the rest of us.

If I'm lucky enough, I'll still be riding when I can no longer do many of the things that I still take for granted now.
 
Flashman_imp said:
I rode my CB for the first time today and dropped it.

It’s been six years since I sold my Nighthawk so I knew I was rusty.

So I spent a couple of hours just riding around my waterfront neighborhood where all streets end in cul-de-sacs and if you keep going you’re in the drink.

Never got out of second gear.

Came back to the house and tried to park as close to the edge of the driveway as possible, came to a complete stop, and planted my right foot down in the grass. As I leaned the bike slightly to the right so I could use my left foot to set down the stand my right foot slipped in the grass and over we went.

I called AAA and they said they would send out a crane equipped wrecker to pick the bike up.

A bit later I and 3 neighbors got the bike upright. No damage at all except to my pride. I canceled the wrecker.

Note to self -

1. I am very greatfull I was wearing a helmet. Even though I had no forward motion my head smacked pretty hard.

2. Do not wear boat shoes when riding.

3. Be thankful that it rained a lot in the last week and the yard was soft.

Mike
Palm Coast FL.
Mike,

The CB1100 is not that heavy and with proper technique you should be able to pick it up by yourself. Put it in gear so the back wheel is locked and the bike won't roll, grab the handlebars and lift it so that both tires are touching the ground, then straighten your back and lift with your legs. It will come right up. You might be alone some day and need to pick it up. The CB1100 is a very light liter bike at 550 lbs and with the tires touching the ground your legs will only need to lift about 200 lbs to pick it up. If you have a back condition or medical issue then don't try it and hurt yourself, but barring that, the average man should be able to right a bike like this alone. You can do it bro and it's a skill that we should all have because you never know when you'll need it. Cheers.

Chip
 
That sucks, man. No injuries but the pride, though. That's the important bit. Helmet for the save!

Boat shoes... Ugh. I'm no fanatic when it comes to protective clothing. I regularly ride to work in jeans and a golf shirt. But I'm picky about footwear. My regular riding boots are a pair of very broken-in (11 years old) Justin Ropers which I've had re-soled with Vibram combat boot soles. A firm ground grip on any motorcycle is important, but on a bike with a relatively high seat height it's absolutely imperative.

Back in my Marine Corps days, the first thing I did when I got a new pair of combat boots was have Vibrams put on them. Most cobblers in the US carry them, and they can be fit to just about any type of boot: cowboy, tanker, etc. I highly recommend Vibrams for any pair of riding boots.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for your replies.

I posted about my embarrassing incident as a “after action” report that might save others from the same problem. Something I went thru during my working career.

As to picking up the bike - I am sixty one and have 2 artificial knees and a
fully healed broken femur caused by a gun shot wound 30 years ago, that still hurts from time to time. I have no problems with my back or neck and don’t want to start.

Of the three of us who lifted up the bike I was the youngest. My waterfront neighborhood is full or retirees who keep boats behind their houses to go fishing, not exactly a stressful physical activity.

One poster asked why I had to lean the bike to the right to set down the stand. A good question considering how poorly I worded my description.

What I meant to say was I shifted the weight to my right leg, before my right foot slipped.

I’m looking for advice on proper footwear for the CB1100 or any bike. I’ll start a new thread.

This is a great forum. The most civil of the three I belong to - one about boats, one about firearms, and this one.

Mike
 
Good story Flashman.
I'd bet more bikes are dumped in the driveways than anywhere else. Seems like everyone has one of those stories.

Cheers
 
Flashman_imp said:
Thank you all for your replies.

I posted about my embarrassing incident as a “after action” report that might save others from the same problem. Something I went thru during my working career.

As to picking up the bike - I am sixty one and have 2 artificial knees and a
fully healed broken femur caused by a gun shot wound 30 years ago, that still hurts from time to time. I have no problems with my back or neck and don’t want to start.

Of the three of us who lifted up the bike I was the youngest. My waterfront neighborhood is full or retirees who keep boats behind their houses to go fishing, not exactly a stressful physical activity.

One poster asked why I had to lean the bike to the right to set down the stand. A good question considering how poorly I worded my description.

What I meant to say was I shifted the weight to my right leg, before my right foot slipped.

I’m looking for advice on proper footwear for the CB1100 or any bike. I’ll start a new thread.

This is a great forum. The most civil of the three I belong to - one about boats, one about firearms, and this one.

Mike
Mike,

That rocks. I love guys that don't stop doing what they love because of medical issues. I hope to keep on riding just as you have despite future physical ailments. Cheers.

Chip
 
Ride on! I can say that our CB1100 is the most comfortable for me with my hip replacement. I am a young 46 years old and comfort is key for me and my hip both the new metal one, okay 3 year old new, and the one yet to be replaced. I feel for trying to getting the bike up and commend your neighbors for helping.
 
I suspect almost every one of us has had a similar experience. I've had two go over that I can remember both at stop lights. First one for me was a mid eighties BMW which as a little tall in the saddle. I came up to a stop sign and for some reason the bike wanted to tip to the right. I couldn't shift my position quickly enough and I believe there was a little drop to the right side on the pavement. The result was when I did get my right foot on the pavement the weight of the bike was too much for me to bring back so over she went very slowly with me rolling off as she touched down. VERY EMBARRASSING couple fellows behind me got out of their cars and helped pick the bike up. No damage other then a little scrape on the valve covers. Second one was with a Yamaha touring bike which was again a little too much bike for me. I stopped at a light and I don't know what happened, my right foot may have slipped or maybe I just wasn't paying full attention but all of a sudden I felt the bike going right and once she started it was impossible to stop. Again a fellow behind me jumped out of the car and we put her back up on her feet. These are the only mishaps I've had with motorcycles and I count myself extremely fortunate indeed.
 
Flashman_imp said:
Thank you all for your replies.

I posted about my embarrassing incident as a “after action” report that might save others from the same problem. Something I went thru during my working career.

As to picking up the bike - I am sixty one and have 2 artificial knees and a
fully healed broken femur caused by a gun shot wound 30 years ago, that still hurts from time to time. I have no problems with my back or neck and don’t want to start.

Of the three of us who lifted up the bike I was the youngest. My waterfront neighborhood is full or retirees who keep boats behind their houses to go fishing, not exactly a stressful physical activity.

One poster asked why I had to lean the bike to the right to set down the stand. A good question considering how poorly I worded my description.

What I meant to say was I shifted the weight to my right leg, before my right foot slipped.

I’m looking for advice on proper footwear for the CB1100 or any bike. I’ll start a new thread.

This is a great forum. The most civil of the three I belong to - one about boats, one about firearms, and this one.

Mike
This just shows how folks should not be jumping to conclusions about what people can and cannot do, and why that is so. A lot of years of living and riding motorcycles -- among other risky activities -- takes its toll. However even a young strong man can destroy his back by lifting something improperly, and it doesn't have to be anywhere near as heavy as a big motorcycle. Could be a box of parts at work. I had a buddy, young and strong as an ox, wreck his back helping someone else lift their bike after it was dropped. His back was messed up after that and never was the same.
 
Back
Top