I made it practical

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I had been avoiding mounting luggage to the Bonneville to keep its looks classic and unfettered. However, it always had a tail bag attached to the seat, so not sure how purely classic that rendered it. I pulled the trigger to mount a Givi Monokey rack to it so that it is just as practical as the CB1100 and can haul my stuff to work just as easily.

While I was at it, I snagged a used Givi V40 box from Ebay. Not quite as huge as my V47, can't swallow everything, but perfect for taking my lunch, and holding my helmet and gloves while I'm away from the bike. It has a sort of lame fake carbon fiber finish on top, which I may mask and paint to hide a bit.

I've mounted Givi luggage to several of my last bikes, and the rack for the Bonneville was uncharacteristically ill-fitting. A few minutes with a step drill bit to widen the holes made short work of it. If I decide I don't like the looks at any point, it drops in place with six screws, so it can come off in minutes.

The V40 box was just down the street from the office near the beach, so we coordinated a pick up.

Hintedy-hint-hint, I'll be listing my near-new tail bags in the classifieds if anybody's interested!
 
There’s nothing aesthetically appealling about top boxes—says he who has one. It’s a pity they’re so darned practical.
 
Thread starter
I agree. But, the ability to click a button and carry it into the office is quite appealing.
 
Trunks are great. I stopped caring about what other people think a long time ago!

88e56b6722f9cdbbe3a6276736106155.jpg
 
Personally I don't care for the look of them so I don't have one on MY bike. But LR is right, it's your bike and you make it the bike you want. Who cares what others think?
 
Thread starter
Yup. Like my wife said, when I'm riding it, the box is behind me and I can't see it anyway.

And nobody has ever told me "Other than the box, nice bike!"
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I agree. But, the ability to click a button and carry it into the office is quite appealing.
You are among the many of the same conflict. I have a 55L top box and knew it was ugly before buying. Nevertheless, its practicality has outweighed the lack of fashion. Plus, it is secure and weatherproof. If I go for fashion, I don't populate the box, or use a 30L top box, which is arguably less offending.

Ah well. People generally only "care" about the bike.
 
Luckily trunks don't look out of place on boats like these. lol. They do come in quite handy on trips.

bfcb46998b24c0883ea1ab7538a9e21c.jpg


84ffcb8bd9a956a31cab2235d1d91e77.jpg


But even they look better without them imo

6b388b386a63472b3c0f5e30af8d4714.jpg


4daaf69fba28241b382738594563ade3.jpg
 
Some are smaller, some are bigger, look worse or better, but regardless of what, we cannot live without them. There are very useful when going long distance. My Givi is a smaller type and only holds one helmet = OK for me.

ca58c5783b62b605d4aae20572e80aa7.jpg


d36ca20a99ed4f8810dc44b48df1355f.jpg


...plus, I have two SW-Motech panniers
c0b19653f047e62cfeb4d8a2765d8af7.jpg


No regrets.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Some are smaller, some are bigger, look worse or better, but regardless of what, we cannot live without them. There are very useful when going long distance. My Givi is a smaller type and only holds one helmet = OK for me.

ca58c5783b62b605d4aae20572e80aa7.jpg


d36ca20a99ed4f8810dc44b48df1355f.jpg


...plus, I have two SW-Motech panniers
c0b19653f047e62cfeb4d8a2765d8af7.jpg


No regrets.

Can’t beat the “practicality factor”, ugly as it is.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I'm more of a tank bag kinda guy but Ham radio and APRS "forced" me to get a small GIVI top box for a radio. This kinda broke the ice for me.

So I ended up going all in with a much larger GIVI top case for the Griso, and a mount for the CB for same case.

Still ugly but I find that looks goes with usefulness; makes them darn good looking. :D
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Right on !
Working on a new tank project = top secret for now
Incredibly, I can still read that. :)

- - -

Isn't the secret something along the lines of ...

"H O N D A"?
Incredibly, I can still read that. :)
- - -
Isn't the secret something along the lines of ...
"H O N D A"?
Jeeez...nothing can get hidden from GO :)
 
Back
Top