I like the 2017 CB1100 EX except for??

CB750K1_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have wanted an Cb1100 since 2013. I originally thought about getting a DLX in 2014, but I didn't act in time and they are few and far between. I though maybe I could wait and pick up a used DLX, but they just don't show up in the used market. When I saw the announcement for the 2017 EX, I was at first not thrilled with the tank and still wanted a DLX. Now that I have had a chance to really look at the EX for a while I must say I really like it. The only thing is that darn silver side cover. Whats with Honda and silver side covers?? If I do get a EX, the side cover will be changed to Red. I think that would make the EX a really nice bike. At this point I am just waiting for verification from Honda of exactly what the U.S. version looks like. The Honda site lists it as "European model shown" If the U.S. model looks the same I will most likely order one soon. What do you guys think of the EX and what changes would you make to it to make it "perfect"?

KC
 
Agree side covers in silver are terrible. But not to worry I am sure you can order red ones from Mr. T in short order.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
agree the silver side covers need to go
 
I havent seen one in person so I'm with holding judgement on the tank.

I guess someone at Honda over ordered a bunch of silver side covers, because they seem to put them on most of the CB's around the world. Personally I think side covers in particular and headlight buckets too maybe should match the tank.

I bought the matching headlight bucket for my dlx from Mr T.

To make an ex perfect? ... RLETS, color matching side covers, Kawasaki gaiters, 83 degree valve stems, remove the curb feelers and add a battery tender pigtail should pretty much cover it.
 
I swapped out the silver painted side covers on my '13 with red ones (with matching stripes). The '17 has brushed aluminum covers instead of painted ones. I'd probably want to see what they look like in real life before swapping them out.

I'm not much of a nitpicker when it comes to the '17. I pretty much like it the way it is.
 
Not sure about the tank but I'm pretty sure I'm not fond of the stubby exhausts. I also don't care for the size of the headlight. Sorry, I don't mean to nit-pick, but I was provoked!
 
I keep comparing the EX to the 2014 Deluxe. The Deluxe was motorcycle eye candy for me, but too expensive to import to Canada because of the unfavourable currency exchange rate.

The most noticeable thing about the Deluxe that I prefer is the all aluminum engine. The most unique feature of the CB 1100 is its air cooled 4-cylinder engine. Painting parts of it black just takes away from the jeweled centerpiece of this heritage motorcycle.

Like many I feel the new fuel tank is not an improvement in looks. However if it extends the fuel range, I would probably learn to enjoy it.

Oddly enough even though the spoke wheels on the EX give it a more heritage look, I prefer the cleaner look of the aluminum alloy wheels on the Deluxe, and the wider choice of tubeless tires. However after seeing the spoke wheels on the recently pictured CB 750s, this is a look that I may learn to appreciate.

The things that I most like about the EX are the chrome headers and twin mufflers. If the shorter mufflers have a better sound, all the better.

The other improvements on the EX like the front forks may be something else I will enjoy when I actually get to ride the bike on my favourite twisty roads.
 
Not feeling the 2017, it's getting away from the retro vibe which is why I bought my 2013. Replacement side covers, Corbin seat, OEM luggage rack, Road Comet 2, and since added steel chain guard...and I'm done, seriously.
 
no RLETS on a retro vibe CB? tsk tsk
 
I don't know guys, I saw the '17 at the moto show and thought the side covers looked pretty good. Black is good, color matched ok but brushed aluminum ties into the brushed cases pretty well I think & is ALOT better than the white one's Triumph puts on the new Bonnie's from time to time. I also like the tank, sort of a Guzzish vibe on that one. Really, this iteration checks most of the boxes for me. The problem I had with the new CB was that for a 500#+ bike it just felt really small when I sat on it in '13 (I'm 6'2" and not into origami seating positions- bolt upright is good). The '17 seemed better when I sat on it (new seat/bars/pegs?). If that holds when they hit the floor this spring we just might have a winner.
 
rider33_imp said:
I don't know guys, I saw the '17 at the moto show and thought the side covers looked pretty good. Black is good, color matched ok but brushed aluminum ties into the brushed cases pretty well I think & is ALOT better than the white one's Triumph puts on the new Bonnie's from time to time. I also like the tank, sort of a Guzzish vibe on that one. Really, this iteration checks most of the boxes for me. The problem I had with the new CB was that for a 500#+ bike it just felt really small when I sat on it in '13 (I'm 6'2" and not into origami seating positions- bolt upright is good). The '17 seemed better when I sat on it (new seat/bars/pegs?). If that holds when they hit the floor this spring we just might have a winner.
I am glad to hear that, as I am also 6'2". My CB500XA because of it taller adventure styled suspension provides a comfortable upright riding position. I was concerned because the Motorcycle Ergonomics App indicated the CB1100 had more forward lean and tighter hip and knee bend.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
rider33_imp said:
I don't know guys, I saw the '17 at the moto show and thought the side covers looked pretty good. Black is good, color matched ok but brushed aluminum ties into the brushed cases pretty well I think & is ALOT better than the white one's Triumph puts on the new Bonnie's from time to time. I also like the tank, sort of a Guzzish vibe on that one. Really, this iteration checks most of the boxes for me. The problem I had with the new CB was that for a 500#+ bike it just felt really small when I sat on it in '13 (I'm 6'2" and not into origami seating positions- bolt upright is good). The '17 seemed better when I sat on it (new seat/bars/pegs?). If that holds when they hit the floor this spring we just might have a winner.
I am glad to hear that, as I am also 6'2". My CB500XA because of it taller adventure styled suspension provides a comfortable upright riding position. I was concerned because the Motorcycle Ergonomics App indicated the CB1100 had more forward lean and tighter hip and knee bend.

I am glad to hear that, as I am also 6'2". My CB500XA because of it taller adventure styled suspension provides a comfortable upright riding position. I was concerned because the [url=http://cycle-ergo.com/]Motorcycle Ergonomics App indicated the CB1100 had more forward lean and tighter hip and knee bend.
'Yup, but Ibelieve that maybe the 13/14 series, not the 17. I might be wrong but when I sat on it I didn't get that emediate "way too small" vibe that I had gotten before (and I had been on an F6B right before that). 'We'll see,
small changes in bars/pegs can really change the feel sometimes.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
I keep comparing the EX to the 2014 Deluxe. The Deluxe was motorcycle eye candy for me, but too expensive to import to Canada because of the unfavourable currency exchange rate.

The most noticeable thing about the Deluxe that I prefer is the all aluminum engine. The most unique feature of the CB 1100 is its air cooled 4-cylinder engine. Painting parts of it black just takes away from the jeweled centerpiece of this heritage motorcycle.

Like many I feel the new fuel tank is not an improvement in looks. However if it extends the fuel range, I would probably learn to enjoy it.

Oddly enough even though the spoke wheels on the EX give it a more heritage look, I prefer the cleaner look of the aluminum alloy wheels on the Deluxe, and the wider choice of tubeless tires. However after seeing the spoke wheels on the recently pictured CB 750s, this is a look that I may learn to appreciate.

The things that I most like about the EX are the chrome headers and twin mufflers. If the shorter mufflers have a better sound, all the better.

The other improvements on the EX like the front forks may be something else I will enjoy when I actually get to ride the bike on my favourite twisty roads.
Nortoon nails it.

This is what kept me from pulling the trigger on the '13. Could have painted the side covers but the black engine wasn't to my taste.
 
From a design perspective I would not change a thing. I like the new pipes and most importantly, they sound good in youtube clips. The black on the motor just accentuates the cylinder head, crankcase cover and transmission cover. The headlight is LED so that adds modernity for safety and long life, albeit looking slightly odd compared to older headlight aesthetics. The '17 is my windows desktop at work and it looks fantastic. I downloaded a left rear view. Beautiful machine.
 
I see they have the spokes for the wheels for 2017 verse the mag wheels the 2013 and 2014's have. Bad idea. I remember how hard it was to clean my 900 Kaw and CL360 Honda spokes back in the 70's!!
 
Welcome TwinCitiesGuy. What are you riding now?
 
Back
Top