I drive the Polaris Slingshot

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Ever since these came out, I have wanted to ride/drive one. I know most of the people that work at the local motorcycle/atv dealers and one invited me to test drive this last weekend. It was too close to their closing time and I didn't have my helmet (dealer requires it, but I technically don't have to wear it per state law). So, I decided to drag my dad with me so he could check it out and he brought my nephew along who rode shotgun with both of us when we tested it.

These are an absolute hoot! I think that Polaris has done a great job making a fun vehicle for a somewhat reasonable price. I saw somewhat reasonable because I think there are better things on which to spend your money. I feel like the novelty of driving it might wear off after a while. I think a Can-Am Spyder would be interesting to test ride to compare. I have a feeling I would prefer it as it is closer to a motorcycle. This is too much like a car for me to deal with the compromises in usability (no roof, little storage, lack of climate control, takes up as much space as a car).

This is a great effort by Polaris to make something unique. I am certainly not even in the market for something like this. If I was, and if I had the money, I would have a hard time overlooking something along the lines of a Mazda Miata.


 
Looks like it would be fun to rent but not something I would want to own. Sounds good too. Your nephew is funny - "Where are the doors?" "Why are you talking so much?"
 
OK, I had a close encounter with one, and I'm not on board. First, please note the size of it next to my svelte and lovely little Lotus Elise...which is an entire car with four wheels. Consider the fact that the Slingshot is considered a MOTORCYCLE, but has a GM four cylinder engine and trans.. while the Lotus is, well, a car.

I'm all for these unique and interesting things, and I'm sure it's a hoot to drive. The Morgan 3- wheeler, now that is cool.

 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Looks like it would be fun to rent but not something I would want to own. Sounds good too. Your nephew is funny - "Where are the doors?" "Why are you talking so much?"
That kid always has something funny to say. He has my sister's off-beat sense of humor.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the Slingshot being perfect for a rental. I think the cost is reasonable given the low production compared to typically mass-produced vehicles, but it's too far down the road of a novelty vehicle.
Capo_imp said:
OK, I had a close encounter with one, and I'm not on board. First, please note the size of it next to my svelte and lovely little Lotus Elise...which is an entire car with four wheels. Consider the fact that the Slingshot is considered a MOTORCYCLE, but has a GM four cylinder engine and trans.. while the Lotus is, well, a car.

I'm all for these unique and interesting things, and I'm sure it's a hoot to drive. The Morgan 3- wheeler, now that is cool.
Capo, I think you make a valid point. I hadn't considered the Elise as an alternative to the Slingshot because I assumed it was much more expensive. It looks like you can pick up a used one more close to the cost of the deluxe model Slingshot. I wonder I'd cars like the Elise and Evora will ever stop depreciating like other exotic brands despite being powered by Toyota drivetrain that make them a little less bespoke. Porsche Box stern are getting crazy cheap for the first gen models, so there is another car that might stand as a better buy.
 
A used 2006 Elise is around $30k. In 5 years it will be $30k. It neither appreciates nor depreciates at this point, but bang for the buck, there is nothing close.
 
I'd absolutely choose an Elise over the Slingshot.

Probably similar performance...
Elise- 1.8L engine 190HP curb weight- 1984lbs. Slingshot- 2.4L engine 173HP curb weight- 1718lbs.
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
A used 2006 Elise is around $30k. In 5 years it will be $30k. It neither appreciates nor depreciates at this point, but bang for the buck, there is nothing close.
So, these are at the bottom of their depreciation curve. That's how you buy something. The later models with the Toyota drivetrain ought to be pretty reliable. I'd rather have one than this Polaris.
 
I've had mine for 5 years, tracked it pretty hard, and other than some stuff falling off here and there, it's been bulletproof.
 
I have owned a slingshot for a year now and its a blast to drive. The closest thing I can compare it to is a go-kart. I can't call it a car or motorcycle I have had lots of motorcycles and a couple Z06 Corvettes. There is no heat , a/c, or top ( unless you go aftermarket ) but either does a bike. I sold my beloved 02 1800 Goldwing to buy it because after having both hips replaced I didn't feel comfortable with the heavy bike. I have the itch for two wheels again and that's what brings me to this forum and the CB1100. I needed something narrow and light and the CB feels just right. This is a picture of my slingshot
 
They are becoming popular in the Nova/DC area as since they are a listed as a motorcycle, you can hit the hov lanes whenever you so chose.. It's why a coworker got one...
 
Thanks for the vid Undecider. Looks like fun to drive and has, to me at least, a kind of "transformer gone funky" look. If that's possible. Inventive. Only one question; how, subjectively, did it feel? Sort of "sporty" or just "city car"? Would it be fun to take for a fang over a twisty mountain road? Actually Slolane can probably answer that.

Cheers
 
All things being equal, and the weather being good, I'd rather ride ON, than IN, a machine. I've taken a close look at the Slingshots when getting atv's serviced and never liked the angular appearance of them. BUT, that grey "stealth" version in the previous pic on this thread is a LOOKER! Still, based on my preference with on vs in I'd go with the Polaris Spyder (having ridden a couple of them), But man, they have REALLY upped the price on the Spyders compared to when they first came out.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Thanks for the vid Undecider. Looks like fun to drive and has, to me at least, a kind of "transformer gone funky" look. If that's possible. Inventive. Only one question; how, subjectively, did it feel? Sort of "sporty" or just "city car"? Would it be fun to take for a fang over a twisty mountain road? Actually Slolane can probably answer that.

Cheers
It drives and handles like a go-kart on steroids. Even with traction control on it spins the tire in the first three gears. It also has stability control to keep you from spinning out of control. Of course you can turn it all off and do donuts all day lol I tell people you don't turn a corner you wait and throw it in the corner and let the back end drift out. I burned thru my first rear tire at 6,000 miles its just so easy lol My personal plate is DRFTR because I can't go around a corner without sliding the back end out lol. I am 63 years old but drive like I am 17. Again I don't call it a bike or a car I call it a sports trike. Mountain roads are a blast I have had at the dragon and will be going again this year
 
Several of the guys I ride with really lust after the Slingshot. But it does not call to me. Oh well!

Check out a Moto Guzzi V7 (and shortly to arrive, the V9). A wee bit smaller and much lighter than the CB1100. Not a true retro bike since the V7 is already an old model, brought forward kicking and screaming. :D I probably would have bought one, but the CB was simply a better fit. Still lusting after one though.
 
I read on a Slingshot board that they were having problems keeping the axle nut tight. Some even falling off. Did they fix that? Or do you have to take some of the measures I read about. Like drilling the nut and safety wiring, or other measures.
 


I had a chance to romp around with a buddy who is a dealer of those things, me in my Lotus. I must say, I don't get it. It combines the worst elements of a car and a bike. And look at the ungainly beast next to the lithe little Elise.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Thanks for the vid Undecider. Looks like fun to drive and has, to me at least, a kind of "transformer gone funky" look. If that's possible. Inventive. Only one question; how, subjectively, did it feel? Sort of "sporty" or just "city car"? Would it be fun to take for a fang over a twisty mountain road? Actually Slolane can probably answer that.

Cheers
It feels very sporty, mostly because it is a very raw experience. It's loud, you sit low to the ground, and you get all the wind being an open cockpit. It's quick, but not fast. Handling is quick and it wants to spin the rear tire. The only time it feels like a normal car is going slow in a parking lot.

I now work for a Polaris dealer, so I'll take our demo unit home sometime and get more driving impressions. I was taking it easy with my nephew in the passenger seat.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Thanks for the vid Undecider. Looks like fun to drive and has, to me at least, a kind of "transformer gone funky" look. If that's possible. Inventive. Only one question; how, subjectively, did it feel? Sort of "sporty" or just "city car"? Would it be fun to take for a fang over a twisty mountain road? Actually Slolane can probably answer that.

Cheers
It feels very sporty, mostly because it is a very raw experience. It's loud, you sit low to the ground, and you get all the wind being an open cockpit. It's quick, but not fast. Handling is quick and it wants to spin the rear tire. The only time it feels like a normal car is going slow in a parking lot.

I now work for a Polaris dealer, so I'll take our demo unit home sometime and get more driving impressions. I was taking it easy with my nephew in the passenger seat.
It feels very sporty, mostly because it is a very raw experience. It's loud, you sit low to the ground, and you get all the wind being an open cockpit. It's quick, but not fast. Handling is quick and it wants to spin the rear tire. The only time it feels like a normal car is going slow in a parking lot.

I now work for a Polaris dealer, so I'll take our demo unit home sometime and get more driving impressions. I was taking it easy with my nephew in the passenger seat.
That's describes it perfectly. Its not for everyone but it fits me and my driving style to a tee. Before the slingshot I had a c6z06 the car was a beast but the slingshot although not nearly as fast is every bit as much fun to drive. I really like to have something different than everyone else and that's what draws me to the CB.
 
Most people I see in them look like they are having fun. Wife loves her Can-Am Spyder too.
Not for me but nobody's ever confused me with being normal.
 
Back
Top