I Am Tron

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Whatcha all think of this? It's the Adaptiv Technologies GlowRider jacket.

A neighbor is a moto vlogger and product reviewer, and he asked me to try this jacket. The sample fits me better than it fits him.

Very interesting. It has a few electro luminescent strips on the sides and back, with a rechargeable battery pack in the right cuff. Just the thing for night commuting. We're going for a night ride in a few days so he can video me wearing it while riding, but I think it's interesting.

GlowRider Jacket & Accessories – Adaptiv Technologies
 
Looks cool I wish I had a moto gear reviewer friend next door lol!

I take more of a batman approach myself. I slapped a few black reflective pieces of tape onto my Pelican box/top box setup God forbid my bike is on its side in middle of the road somewhere for some reason. But I dont think I own any reflective gear.

I've seen helmet with the tail light and turn signals built into the back of them and they must Bluetooth to a dongle on the bike for the signal input.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
My neighbor usually does off-road tires and Nelson Rigg products, so this is the first time he's asked me to help with something.

I'm pretty stealth for the most part too. My Givi trunks have subtle reflective striping. My go-to box is this E36, with a band of black Scotchlite tape around the middle. It reflects white, and is glowing in this pic with the sunset hitting it. On my bigger Givi boxes with fake taillights, I replaced the non-reflective chrome cardboard they put uner the red lenses with Scotchlite, so they're still fake, but at least they are now reflectors.

As for the helmet light, I always run a Brake Free light on the back of mine. No Bluetooth or any connection to the bike. It's got a g-meter inside, and goes from a taillight to a much brighter brake light under deceleration, either engine or regular braking. Very effective, puts a light up high in view of the cars behind me, and attaches to small mounting tabs on the back of each of my helmets, so I attach it to whichever I'm going to wear.

Brake Free Helmet Brake Light
 
Thats sounds very cool. So its modular almost like moving a Sena communicator from helmet mount to helmet mount? Hows the battery life?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
The battery will last several days for me. When you turn it on, two of the LEDs flash a sequence to show the charge level. It does something... I think those two LEDs stay solid... when it wants to be charged. Plus, when the helmet is motionless for a while, it goes to "sleep" so it doesn't run the charge down. I charge it about once every week and a half or so. You can also change the pattern, to function mainly as a brake-only light, and either solid or pulsating LEDs when it's in taillight mode.

I've seen a few other riders on the streets with them. The brake light does come on bright when you're decelerating, before you hit the brakes, and at night it's a real attention getter.
 
Sounds pretty cool, what is the brand/name of this thing? Gonna look it up

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Is that your neighbour’s basement, Gone? Or the collection you haven’t told us or Mrs Gone about?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Is that your neighbour’s basement, Gone? Or the collection you haven’t told us or Mrs Gone about?
HA! I wish... that's a far corner of the undergound vault in the Petersen Museuem. I wore the jacket to work, and was hoping that that corner would be a bit darker so that the lights on the jacket would be visible. Not dark enough, I guess. That collection of Yamaha race bikes has been down there for quite some time, and I'm not sure why we have them.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Is that your neighbour’s basement, Gone? Or the collection you haven’t told us or Mrs Gone about?
HA! I wish... that's a far corner of the undergound vault in the Petersen Museuem. I wore the jacket to work, and was hoping that that corner would be a bit darker so that the lights on the jacket would be visible. Not dark enough, I guess. That collection of Yamaha race bikes has been down there for quite some time, and I'm not sure why we have them.
HA! I wish... that's a far corner of the undergound vault in the Petersen Museuem. I wore the jacket to work, and was hoping that that corner would be a bit darker so that the lights on the jacket would be visible. Not dark enough, I guess. That collection of Yamaha race bikes has been down there for quite some time, and I'm not sure why we have them. I mean if you guys wanna donate one of those yamaha to a guy in need.. I'll start the paperwork on a non profit tax ID tomorrow lol

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Is that your neighbour’s basement, Gone? Or the collection you haven’t told us or Mrs Gone about?
HA! I wish... that's a far corner of the undergound vault in the Petersen Museuem. I wore the jacket to work, and was hoping that that corner would be a bit darker so that the lights on the jacket would be visible. Not dark enough, I guess. That collection of Yamaha race bikes has been down there for quite some time, and I'm not sure why we have them.
HA! I wish... that's a far corner of the undergound vault in the Petersen Museuem. I wore the jacket to work, and was hoping that that corner would be a bit darker so that the lights on the jacket would be visible. Not dark enough, I guess. That collection of Yamaha race bikes has been down there for quite some time, and I'm not sure why we have them. I mean if you guys wanna donate one of those yamaha to a guy in need.. I'll start the paperwork on a non profit tax ID tomorrow lol

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
You and me both, brother.
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
Was eyeing those up myself last week :D
A few weeks earlier, there was a Ninja H2R mixed in with those bikes. Me likey...
And it might have rolled upstairs by the time you visited, but one of Dan Gurney's Alligators as well.
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I try to avoid riding at night.
Necessary evil for me during the months where I leave work after the sun goes down.
 
Thread starter
Met up with my friend for an evening ride last night, so he could get some video footage riding next to me as I wore the glowing jacket. I scouted out two locations in my area, one in town to get some "urban riding" action, and one in an exclusive neighborhood that doesn't allow billboards or street lamps, which makes it quite dark. I figured the darkness would make the glowing feature stand out a bit more.

This morning as I handed the jacket back to him, he showed me some of the raw footage he had taken. Frankly, I was more impressed by the added visibility of my Brake Free helmet light. Not having the ability to see the back of my own head while I'm riding, it was cool to see that it really does get brighter when you slow down, and really gives a great added light up high.
 
Back
Top