Hum Coming From Gas Tank Area

Mixagon_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Is the charcoal canister just a CA requirement or do all US bikes have it? These are not fitted to the European spec. bikes.
So if my European bike does not have a charcoal canister that rules out the noise from being the canister.
So if my European bike does not have a charcoal canister that rules out the noise from being the canister.
I think that from '17 model, the CB is "Euro 4" compliant, so it must have a charcoal canister, OBD and some other stuff.
 
I don't think the charcoal canister is part of the Euro 4 certifications, I think they only relate to exhaust emissions and not fuel vapour emissions. That thing is huge, where is it normally fitted?
 
Tev62_imp said:
I don't think the charcoal canister is part of the Euro 4 certifications, I think they only relate to exhaust emissions and not fuel vapour emissions. That thing is huge, where is it normally fitted?
Is it this part?

Canister for Honda CB 1100 RS ABS 2017 - Honda

Honestly I don't know if my bike has this or where is it fitted. But I think EURO 4 homologation requires an evap-emission test (and I don't know if you can pass that without a canister).
 
That is it Jtopiso. It's hidden pretty well. I didn't look at mine this morning, but it is basically behind ( or technically forward of) the rear wheel plastic fender assm. and can be seen by looking behind that through the frame rails. Look around back up in there and you will see it. I, or someone, can post a pic later.
 
I had a U.S. released Aprilia that was Euro 3 compliant and it had the charcoal canister. Maybe it had to do with the California emission standard only?
 
I checked 2017 RS models and canisters are standard on UK, European, Asian and US markets, not on Canadian, Russian, or Arabian Gulf countries. No info on Australia-NZ.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I checked 2017 RS models and canisters are standard on UK, European, Asian and US markets, not on Canadian, Russian, or Arabian Gulf countries. No info on Australia-NZ.
Very well hidden then, I must look it out.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I checked 2017 RS models and canisters are standard on UK, European, Asian and US markets, not on Canadian, Russian, or Arabian Gulf countries. No info on Australia-NZ.
The CB1100 hasn’t been imported to Australia since 2011.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
I checked 2017 RS models and canisters are standard on UK, European, Asian and US markets, not on Canadian, Russian, or Arabian Gulf countries. No info on Australia-NZ.
The CB1100 hasn’t been imported to Australia since 2011.
The CB1100 hasn’t been imported to Australia since 2011.
That explains why I couldn't find anything - only looked back to 2013. Are you saying the rest of the world is years behind you guys?

And no canister on your 2011s.
 
Ok, I didn’t take a pic, but if you have one you can see it easily. Look below the right air cleaner cover. Below it is a little triangular frame piece. Below that and above the rear of the engine case is a space you can look into and see the canister.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ok, I didn’t take a pic, but if you have one you can see it easily. Look below the right air cleaner cover. Below it is a little triangular frame piece. Below that and above the rear of the engine case is a space you can look into and see the canister.
At least Honda tried to hide it (well it appears).

The carbon canister rarely needs replacing, but you'd think Aprilia could try harder to disguise it ...

 
Mine does this too and it sounds like it is periodically circulating the fuel. It is electrical and definitely deliberate, if you time it you will find it is at perfectly timed intervals to a fraction of a second.
 
le_penseur_imp said:
Hi All,

Just received my 2017 EX yesterday. Will post some pics soon.

I noticed there's a periodic hum sound coming from the gas tank after shutting off the bike. Is this normal? I searched the forum and didn't see anything about it. It's sounds like a little pump or electric motor. I'm guessing it's the EVAP system, but I think it's been humming periodically all night since yesterday so why would it still be happening?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Salut Le Penseur

I am also hearing this hum coming from the gas tank every 30 seconds or so after I shut of the engine. I rode the bike today for about 45 minutes. Got home and put it in the garage on its stand and then started hearing this intermitten hum every 30 secnds or so. I have had my 2017 CB1100 EX for 10 months now and still does that. I always thought it was the fuel pump resetting itself but don't know if that is it. You say it is a solenoid?

Fred
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
It is the evap system rebalancing. There are no electric pumps running when the ignition key is removed.
^^ +1 ^^... and in internal combustion engines, there is no electric pump for EVAP system at all. Engine is EVAP's vacuum pump.
 
Back
Top