How to increase ground clearance...

simplest2remember_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Here's an odd one I couln't find on the site - I've read what seems to be conflicting stories about what to do with the preload settings in order to raise the ground clearance.

Reason I need to do this is that the entrance going into my (shared) courtyard has a ramp on it. I can go super slow and have no problem. However, if it's wet then super slow doesn't get the traction I need, meaning I have to move a bit faster, and dang, there goes the exhaust (which despite several knocks is still holding up well).

I don't want to change the new types just yet, something a touch softer may solve the spin in the wet, so thought I'd investigate trying to add another, say half an inch to the ground clearance.

Any ideas?
 
Lose 50 pounds. I bet that will do it!

My old garage had an issue like that and what I would do was go up at an angle instead of straight on. That was enough clearance for me.
 
If changing the approach angle isn't an option, you might be able to grab a few extra millimeters by sliding the forks all the way down the triple tree (if that's not already maxxed out). Also, you can have some washers made to stick above the rear springs, inside the retainer buckets. I don't think I'd go any thicker than a 1/4 inch or so, but that might be all you need. Lastly, maybe you can find a set of larger profile tires??

After that, I'd go for the diet idea or get a new bike :)
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
If changing the approach angle isn't an option, you might be able to grab a few extra millimeters by sliding the forks all the way down the triple tree (if that's not already maxxed out). Also, you can have some washers made to stick above the rear springs, inside the retainer buckets. I don't think I'd go any thicker than a 1/4 inch or so, but that might be all you need. Lastly, maybe you can find a set of larger profile tires??

After that, I'd go for the diet idea or get a new bike :)
Thank you you two for you anti-girthist suggestions of dieting; at 120kg / 264lbs I do admit that might make a difference, but the ramp is narrow and has steps either side - I can in effect take a lot of my weight off as I walk it up the ramp.

You mentioned forks - what's the triple tree? (I will get on google) And springs? Could I just get some longer ones? I did think about tyres, in fact when I bought it it was done up cafe racer style (see pic), with different srings, but I had him return it to standard - duh! To be fair he was 1000 miles from my house so I couldn't test it on my ramp..
 
From your picture it looks as if the front was dropped. See how the fork tubs stick up above the triple tree? (that's what the fork tubs clamp into) You already have taller tires on there so the only thing I can see for you to do is to bring the front end back to the stock position to correct the problem.

It also looks like there are clip on bars on there. That is why the triple tree was dropped (among other reasons). You'll need to ditch those as well and get the regular bars for it to make it all work properly.
 
Because of the exhaust collector and catalysator the ground clearance
is not very rich, so to say kind of low.

I also have to move the CB over a ramp to its parking place in the backyard of my flat.
The only way not to strike the ground, the same thing goes for higher sidewalks,
is to be very careful and build an awareness of not letting the exhaust, sometimes the two little notches
of the machine underside, touch the ground.

Sinking the Honda to the right or the left without dropping it, may help and creates some more ground clearance.
The CB is not a dirt bike I found out.:D

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
From your picture it looks as if the front was dropped. See how the fork tubs stick up above the triple tree? (that's what the fork tubs clamp into) You already have taller tires on there so the only thing I can see for you to do is to bring the front end back to the stock position to correct the problem.

It also looks like there are clip on bars on there. That is why the triple tree was dropped (among other reasons). You'll need to ditch those as well and get the regular bars for it to make it all work properly.
To to confirm, I had the bloke revert it to normal (which he did as far as I could tell). Not having a front mudguard was no good for me! He also changed the springs back to standard as you can see.

What about the preload settings? Do they affect ground clearance? I'm guessing that my 120KG acts as a preload too?
 
OK, so now you have what appears to be stock size tires and the triple clamps are all the way up on the forks? I can't see that, but I'm going to make the assumption due to the faring placement.
Preload might raise the back ¼", but the front won't move. Being 260# myself I have to avoid speed bumps. I found that out the hard way as I have a ton of them in my complex. I don't even risk them any more and just go around the edges of them.
As far as your ramp issues go, not really sure what to tell you about that. Sounds like one of those rock and a hard place issues to me and neither one is going to budge.
 
Can you slightly raise the back of the ramp, effectively lowering the top edge? Works for my trailer and my ST ( or make the ramp longer?)
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
OK, so now you have what appears to be stock size tires and the triple clamps are all the way up on the forks? I can't see that, but I'm going to make the assumption due to the faring placement.
Preload might raise the back ¼", but the front won't move. Being 260# myself I have to avoid speed bumps. I found that out the hard way as I have a ton of them in my complex. I don't even risk them any more and just go around the edges of them.
As far as your ramp issues go, not really sure what to tell you about that. Sounds like one of those rock and a hard place issues to me and neither one is going to budge.
Do you mean adding preload (making the ride harder), or taking it away (ride gets softer)? I also think some sporty, softer tyres might help the grip in the wet problem - will try that when it gets wetter here, and report back.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Can you slightly raise the back of the ramp, effectively lowering the top edge? Works for my trailer and my ST ( or make the ramp longer?)
So I have (in order of feasibility):
1. adjust preload (though I don't know which way yet)
2. lower triple tree
3. Get some grippier sports tyres to get more traction in the wet, or get some big tyres back on
4. buy some longer rear springs (suggestions?) - will need this for bigger tyres
5. Extend the ramp
6. Move house (this has been considered)
7. Lose 50lbs (this one has not seriously been considered)
 
simplest2remember_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
If changing the approach angle isn't an option, you might be able to grab a few extra millimeters by sliding the forks all the way down the triple tree (if that's not already maxxed out). Also, you can have some washers made to stick above the rear springs, inside the retainer buckets. I don't think I'd go any thicker than a 1/4 inch or so, but that might be all you need. Lastly, maybe you can find a set of larger profile tires??

After that, I'd go for the diet idea or get a new bike :)
Thank you you two for you anti-girthist suggestions of dieting; at 120kg / 264lbs I do admit that might make a difference, but the ramp is narrow and has steps either side - I can in effect take a lot of my weight off as I walk it up the ramp.

You mentioned forks - what's the triple tree? (I will get on google) And springs? Could I just get some longer ones? I did think about tyres, in fact when I bought it it was done up cafe racer style (see pic), with different srings, but I had him return it to standard - duh! To be fair he was 1000 miles from my house so I couldn't test it on my ramp..
Thank you you two for you anti-girthist suggestions of dieting; at 120kg / 264lbs I do admit that might make a difference, but the ramp is narrow and has steps either side - I can in effect take a lot of my weight off as I walk it up the ramp.

You mentioned forks - what's the triple tree? (I will get on google) And springs? Could I just get some longer ones? I did think about tyres, in fact when I bought it it was done up cafe racer style (see pic), with different srings, but I had him return it to standard - duh! To be fair he was 1000 miles from my house so I couldn't test it on my ramp..
Simplest, i want to be the first in this thread and say your bike looks amazing! Would you mind posting a photo of the front of the bike (specifically near where the instrument clusters are). I want to clean it up and curious on what you did to yours.

Thanks and lovely bike.:idea:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Can you slightly raise the back of the ramp, effectively lowering the top edge? Works for my trailer and my ST ( or make the ramp longer?)
My thoughts as well. Seems we are missing the obvious, as a first step. Can the ramp be modified? If it can't be raised, or lengthened, to make the top lip less of an angle, then consider adding "a bump" in the ramp itself. In other words, right at the point your exhaust is striking the ground, you prevent that by raising the rear of the bike a bit. To accomplish that, add a bump on the ramp, that the rear tire must roll over, effectively raising the rear end. What you make the bump out of depends on how much raising you need to do. It could be as simple as a little 6" square of plywood, that you put down as needed, and pick back up when done. Stack a couple of layers, bevel the edges so the tire can roll up easily, problem solved.
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Can you slightly raise the back of the ramp, effectively lowering the top edge? Works for my trailer and my ST ( or make the ramp longer?)
My thoughts as well. Seems we are missing the obvious, as a first step. Can the ramp be modified? If it can't be raised, or lengthened, to make the top lip less of an angle, then consider adding "a bump" in the ramp itself. In other words, right at the point your exhaust is striking the ground, you prevent that by raising the rear of the bike a bit. To accomplish that, add a bump on the ramp, that the rear tire must roll over, effectively raising the rear end. What you make the bump out of depends on how much raising you need to do. It could be as simple as a little 6" square of plywood, that you put down as needed, and pick back up when done. Stack a couple of layers, bevel the edges so the tire can roll up easily, problem solved.
My thoughts as well. Seems we are missing the obvious, as a first step. Can the ramp be modified? If it can't be raised, or lengthened, to make the top lip less of an angle, then consider adding "a bump" in the ramp itself. In other words, right at the point your exhaust is striking the ground, you prevent that by raising the rear of the bike a bit. To accomplish that, add a bump on the ramp, that the rear tire must roll over, effectively raising the rear end. What you make the bump out of depends on how much raising you need to do. It could be as simple as a little 6" square of plywood, that you put down as needed, and pick back up when done. Stack a couple of layers, bevel the edges so the tire can roll up easily, problem solved.
Thinking outside the box.

Like.

It is unfortunately a public ramp so re-engineering it might be tricky. Note I live in the Vietnamese-speaking capital of Hanoi, and barely speak a word yet. I do have a wife however, who may be integral to this plan, since her Vietnamese is superb. At the moment I've got rather good at getting it up there with the merest of knocks. The long term effects of these knocks may require a plaster at some stage. Actually, I still don't know for sure if adjusting the dampers has any effect on the height of the bike, or weather buying new shocks actually effects the height. If anyone can confirm?
 
Thread starter
Right. Solution found for the tyre slipping on the marble ramp when wet, forcing me to approach at higher speed, leading to ground clearance crunch.
1. Measure the rectangle that is the ramp
2. Go to a metal fabrication shop, and buy required oblong shaped piece of "grippy" or scored metal "used on floors)
3. Drill 4 holes and fix metal to ramp.

I haven't tested it yet, but am confident it will help

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Don't know why this didn't post the first time using my tapatalk a few weeks ago.

Anyway, the solution was to put a grippy metal plate on the ramp. looks ok, cheap to do, and allows me to very slowly drive up the ramp, which means the bike doesn't bottom out! Voila! - the simple solutions are always the best.
 
Back
Top