How much gear do you make your passengers wear...

Setchman_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
...especially if she's your wife and doesn't want to wear any?

This is a twist to the discussion about safety tips/gear in the other thread. Here's the back story. My wife has only been lukewarm about my motorcycle habit and never wanted to ride with me until I told her I was buying a new bike. She's invested herself in my decision to the extent that she gave me the go-ahead with the stipulations that it wasn't a “Ninja” (the term she uses to describe anything that remotely looks like a sport bike) and it had to have a backrest. The other bike I gave serious consideration to was the Yamaha FJ-09 but when I showed her the picture, that was the end of that.

The good news is that she really likes the CB. With a top-case as her backrest she really feels comfortable on this bike and she loves the look. The bad news, to me anyway, is that she flat out told me she doesn't want to wear any gear, except for a helmet.

I've been an ATGATT guy since day one and have no problem with those that choose not to be. I truly believe in “to each his own”. But I was taken aback buy the forcefulness of her statement. It's one thing to espouse a live-and-let-live attitude toward the general population but it's another thing altogether when it's someone you love and don't want to have to keep taking to the hospital for skin grafts on her butt after even a minor spill.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? What do you require your passengers to wear?
 
helmet, long pants, jacket, decent shoes( no sandals), for my wife.

If she rode with me more often, would go to motorcycle specific protective pants, jacket, shoes.

Actually, when I had my 900 Ninja she rode with me all the time, when I bought the CB1100 after a few years off, she got mad, and now does not ride with me, oh well, her loss. At least we both won't be wiped out at the same time/accident.
 
I would feel so uncomfortable with a passenger not properly protected. There is no way I could enjoy riding this way. Somehow she needs understand that proper gear not only makes the ride safer but adds peace of mind necessary for a pleasant riding experience. When I'm in the cage I don't start up until everyone is buckled up. Same thing.
 
My wife never balked about gear, understanding its importance. She doesn't want to ride without full face helmet and proper motorcycle gloves, jacket and boots. If she refused, the bike wouldn't be leaving the garage with her on it, plain and simple.
 
My wife is an adult and makes her own decisions about what to wear. She has been riding with me, and on her own bikes, since 1972. That's 45 years on two wheels for her. She knows the risks as well as anyone. She is reasonable about it but not fanatical. Almost always a modular helmet (sometimes a 3/4). Most times an armored jacket. Almost never gloves. Most times jeans but on a tour armored pants. Most times hiking boots, but on a tour motorcycle specific boots.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My wife is an adult and makes her own decisions about what to wear. She has been riding with me, and on her own bikes, since 1972. That's 45 years on two wheels for her. She knows the risks as well as anyone. She is reasonable about it but not fanatical. Almost always a modular helmet (sometimes a 3/4). Most times an armored jacket. Almost never gloves. Most times jeans but on a tour armored pants. Most times hiking boots, but on a tour motorcycle specific boots.
I would imagine that describes almost everyone elses wife here, as well. I don't think that was so much the question as pondering what, if anything, should be done when your passengers decisions don't appear to have been wise ones?
 
DGShannon_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
My wife is an adult and makes her own decisions about what to wear. She has been riding with me, and on her own bikes, since 1972. That's 45 years on two wheels for her. She knows the risks as well as anyone. She is reasonable about it but not fanatical. Almost always a modular helmet (sometimes a 3/4). Most times an armored jacket. Almost never gloves. Most times jeans but on a tour armored pants. Most times hiking boots, but on a tour motorcycle specific boots.
I would imagine that describes almost everyone elses wife here, as well. I don't think that was so much the question as pondering what, if anything, should be done when your passengers decisions don't appear to have been wise ones?
I would imagine that describes almost everyone elses wife here, as well. I don't think that was so much the question as pondering what, if anything, should be done when your passengers decisions don't appear to have been wise ones?
Well you can express your concerns, but ultimately the decision is hers, just as my decisions are mine as to what to wear on any given ride which may not be in lock step with the ATGATT crowd. I can hardly deny her without being fair and denying myself as well. That's not going to happen.
 
Luckily my wife is very safety conscious and wants to wear gear. She actually really enjoyed the shopping; my advice if you want it is to frame it as an opportunity to get some "stylish" new clothes.
 
I get Ferret's perspective. My wife rides her own bike and does a pretty good impression of ATGATT (she sometimes wears plain jeans rather than Kevlar). I don't love this and I have encouraged her to beef up the protection. In the end, though, she makes the decision that is right for her.

ON THE OTHER HAND....she is not a passenger on my bike and, therefore, is making her own decisions on how to interact with traffic, road, and weather conditions. If she makes a mistake, it's on her. A passenger on my bike is, in my opinion, my responsibility. If I make a mistake and she gets injured, that's on me. Therefore, it has been my stated position when this has come up before that any passenger must wear enough gear to make ME feel comfortable, which would be a proper jacket, helmet, boots, gloves and at least denim pants. The good part about taking this stance is that people have stopped asking for rides around the block. :)
 
Thread starter
I'm sure I'm not alone here when saying this but my wife is not good with ultimatums so I would agree with the sentiment that she needs to make up her own mind when choosing how much or how little to wear. I briefly thought about the "scared straight" method but I really don't want to gross her out and I'm afraid it would only have a negative impact on how she feels about my riding.

I didn't know her at the time but she's told me that back when she was in her 20's she dated a guy who's primary mode of transportation was a motorcycle and she spent a lot of time on the back of it. And I'm sure (knowing her) she was one of those girls who would have been hanging off the back wearing only a tank top, shorts and flip flops. I guess I find it somewhat ironic or even a bit hypocritical that she's given me a hard time over the years about the dangers of motorcycles and now she can't wait to go out for a ride with me as long as it's warm enough so that she doesn't have to wear a jacket. :huh:
 
My Fiance hates the look of Women's motogear. She'll wear a helmet, gloves and one of my jackets if I ask her too, but it's the jeans she won't budge on. Basically anything you can't take off when you park needs to look like normal clothes and half the women's jeans aren't slim fit and look insanely 90s. I just bout her some nice Dr. Marten Triumph boots too to a dd a little more protection. But Girls really care about how they look off the bike :) I found a pair of skinny mottowear jeans I am trying to talk her into wearing ;)
 
the mrs and i started riding at the same time and took the BRC class together.
we both agree on ATGATT and having a zero tolerance policy for drinking and riding.
she rides her own cycle, she hates riding as a passenger behind me.
i don't much enjoy having a passenger either.
we really only do it when dropping off or picking up a cycle from the shop.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I get Ferret's perspective. My wife rides her own bike and does a pretty good impression of ATGATT (she sometimes wears plain jeans rather than Kevlar). I don't love this and I have encouraged her to beef up the protection. In the end, though, she makes the decision that is right for her.

ON THE OTHER HAND....she is not a passenger on my bike and, therefore, is making her own decisions on how to interact with traffic, road, and weather conditions. If she makes a mistake, it's on her. A passenger on my bike is, in my opinion, my responsibility. If I make a mistake and she gets injured, that's on me. Therefore, it has been my stated position when this has come up before that any passenger must wear enough gear to make ME feel comfortable, which would be a proper jacket, helmet, boots, gloves and at least denim pants. The good part about taking this stance is that people have stopped asking for rides around the block. :)
Yep, passenger is different, they need to follow rules you set. I would never forgive myself if a passenger on my CB was injured, especially my wife.
May as well double check your MC insurance for "passengers" too, sometimes it is low balled to lower your premium.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
My Fiance hates the look of Women's motogear. She'll wear a helmet, gloves and one of my jackets if I ask her too, but it's the jeans she won't budge on. Basically anything you can't take off when you park needs to look like normal clothes and half the women's jeans aren't slim fit and look insanely 90s. I just bout her some nice Dr. Marten Triumph boots too to a dd a little more protection. But Girls really care about how they look off the bike :) I found a pair of skinny mottowear jeans I am trying to talk her into wearing ;)
Overpants = easily removed when destination is reached.
they can even be worn over shorts for the hot days.
 
Thread starter
Quote:A passenger on my bike is, in my opinion, my responsibility. If I make a mistake and she gets injured, that's on me. Therefore, it has been my stated position when this has come before that any passenger must wear enough gear to make ME feel comfortable, which would be a proper jacket, helmet, boots, gloves and at least denim pants. The good part about taking this stance is that people have stopped asking for rides around the block. :)
After reading all of the replies, so far (and thank you all, it really does help) I think that this really is the crux of my dilemma. I'm thrilled that she wants to be a part of this (especially if you knew how different this is from her attitude only a few years ago) but I don't want to live with the guilt of knowing she was unnecessarily injured because we were in an accident, regardless of whether it was my fault or not.

I know she doesn't want to ride her own bike but maybe I can talk her into a scooter. :)
 
Get her to read the article CA200 posted a link to. And remind her of MTC's position which is that passengers on your bike are your responsibility.

My wife always wears helmet, jacket and gloves on her occasional rides with me.
 
Back
Top