How loud can this bike get?

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have a Yosh slip-on which is louder than stock but still quiet compared to other bikes. It actually is lower than a stock Yamaha bolt exhaust.

Do the full system exhausts (header plus slip-on) get much louder? Anyone have insight? I am not looking to annoy people more to be heard a little more lane splitting.

Curious.
 
Hey, Murrieta? That's where I went to high school. My parents still live there. Maybe I'll see another 1100 out and about some time.
Anyway, I'm guessing here, but I think the stock cat is what's making it so quiet. I fired up the bike with muffler removed when installing my slip on. It wasn't very loud. I'm pretty sure you could have a straight pipe bent and skip the muffler to get a decent sound level without replacing the whole header and everything. Getting rid of the cat would probably require a fuel programmer.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
What happened to California prohibiting modifications to the exhaust system? Thought this stuff was illegal now.
Screw that. The bike is too darn quiet in factory trim. I got some Over Racing slip-ons which gave my bike just the right amount of sound without being annoying or attracting police attention.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
What happened to California prohibiting modifications to the exhaust system? Thought this stuff was illegal now.
I have never seen a cop pull over a motorcycle for being too loud our give out an "emissions ticket".

My last bike was a v-twin with straight pipes no muffler it was super loud and I never once had any issues with police.
Rebel73_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
What happened to California prohibiting modifications to the exhaust system? Thought this stuff was illegal now.
Screw that. The bike is too darn quiet in factory trim. I got some Over Racing slip-ons which gave my bike just the right amount of sound without being annoying or attracting police attention.
Screw that. The bike is too darn quiet in factory trim. I got some Over Racing slip-ons which gave my bike just the right amount of sound without being annoying or attracting police attention.
Did you swap your headers or remove the cat?
 
I got a loud pipes ticket on one of my Harleys in Ohio a number of years back, but to tell the truth I think it was just a small town cop looking to show someone who was wearing the badge and who had the power. Mine wasn't that loud, and in fact, had the factory " for racing only" baffles in them, but I wouldn't run pipes that loud today. But if they pulled over every loud bike around here, they would never get anything else done

I've certainly heard bikes I would write tickets to if I was a cop. Some are just stupid loud. A little noise, ok, ear splitting noise, I'd like to see some enforcement.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
What happened to California prohibiting modifications to the exhaust system? Thought this stuff was illegal now.
I have never seen a cop pull over a motorcycle for being too loud our give out an "emissions ticket".

My last bike was a v-twin with straight pipes no muffler it was super loud and I never once had any issues with police.
Rebel73_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
What happened to California prohibiting modifications to the exhaust system? Thought this stuff was illegal now.
Screw that. The bike is too darn quiet in factory trim. I got some Over Racing slip-ons which gave my bike just the right amount of sound without being annoying or attracting police attention.
Screw that. The bike is too darn quiet in factory trim. I got some Over Racing slip-ons which gave my bike just the right amount of sound without being annoying or attracting police attention.
Did you swap your headers or remove the cat?
I have never seen a cop pull over a motorcycle for being too loud our give out an "emissions ticket".

My last bike was a v-twin with straight pipes no muffler it was super loud and I never once had any issues with police.
Rebel73_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
What happened to California prohibiting modifications to the exhaust system? Thought this stuff was illegal now.
Screw that. The bike is too darn quiet in factory trim. I got some Over Racing slip-ons which gave my bike just the right amount of sound without being annoying or attracting police attention.
Screw that. The bike is too darn quiet in factory trim. I got some Over Racing slip-ons which gave my bike just the right amount of sound without being annoying or attracting police attention.
Did you swap your headers or remove the cat? Nope. Just slip-ons. I'm pretty happy with the sound level as is. I've lost enough hearing over the years.
 
The Yoshimura slip on for the 2013 is louder than the 2014 model muffler. The 13 came with removable baffle and the 14 version came with a fixed baffle. I have a 2014 CB1100 with the 13 muffler installed. I just had to use the 2014 center stand stop which I had to purchase separate being that you can't use the 2013 bracket which comes with it on the 14. The center stands are different from 13 to 14.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
i have a full system, just for goofs i pulled the baffle and ran around the block - HOLY CRAP! It was insane, I couldn't imagine riding like that. Like, wayyyyyy past cool - it was brutal.

That being said i did drill a few small holes in my baffle to give it a touch more volume, IMO it sounds great - nowhere near obnoxious. I live in a townhome and my neighbors have told me they can't hear my bike in their houses when i crank it up - its got a really clean, crisp sound when i'm riding it.

I'm a huge fan of a properly tuned exhaust - I love the sound of a well tuned exhaust running thru the gears, my old VFR was HEAVEN.

Loud for the sake of loud is just.............well I'll be nice & say I'm too old now...I'll leave the loud stuff to the kids hahaha. I have quiet Vance and Hines baffles in my Harley and I still think that's too loud. I wanna run stealth-mode and keep the fuzz off my back.
skip to like 11:20 in that video, you can really hear the VFR rip, man I miss the sound that bike made!
 
The Fuzz? I know how old YOU are :angel:


12cb96vfr_imp said:
i have a full system, just for goofs i pulled the baffle and ran around the block - HOLY CRAP! It was insane, I couldn't imagine riding like that. Like, wayyyyyy past cool - it was brutal.

That being said i did drill a few small holes in my baffle to give it a touch more volume, IMO it sounds great - nowhere near obnoxious. I live in a townhome and my neighbors have told me they can't hear my bike in their houses when i crank it up - its got a really clean, crisp sound when i'm riding it.

I'm a huge fan of a properly tuned exhaust - I love the sound of a well tuned exhaust running thru the gears, my old VFR was HEAVEN.

Loud for the sake of loud is just.............well I'll be nice & say I'm too old now...I'll leave the loud stuff to the kids hahaha. I have quiet Vance and Hines baffles in my Harley and I still think that's too loud. I wanna run stealth-mode and keep the fuzz off my back.
skip to like 11:20 in that video, you can really hear the VFR rip, man I miss the sound that bike made!
 
The ferret_imp said:
I got a loud pipes ticket on one of my Harleys in Ohio a number of years back, but to tell the truth I think it was just a small town cop looking to show someone who was wearing the badge and who had the power. Mine wasn't that loud, and in fact, had the factory " for racing only" baffles in them, but I wouldn't run pipes that loud today. But if they pulled over every loud bike around here, they would never get anything else done

I've certainly heard bikes I would write tickets to if I was a cop. Some are just stupid loud. A little noise, ok, ear splitting noise, I'd like to see some enforcement.
I'm no fan of loud pipes on bikes, but I've often wondered how some semi trucks and farm tractors (on city streets) are not held to the same noise emissions regulations by law enforcement. Not to mention freight trains that go through town. It just seems like bikes are often "targets of opportunity" in some municipalities. Just a thought.
Inhouse Bob' pid='153425' dateline='1477621391 said:
The Fuzz? I know how old YOU are :angel:

In 1972 I was picked up by the fuzz...it hurt!

:D
 
Cat free header and a slip-on muffler will not get you in trouble with the police on our bike. But going above 6000 rpm will get peoples' attention.

Pick your spots (remote areas) to be loud.
 
There are two kinds of people: those that think only of themselves and their pleasure, and those that think and care about the impact of their behavior on their fellow citizens. The first kind ranges from criminal sociopaths to annoying buttwipes. In case of motorcycles, the position on the scale can be determined by measuring the decibels.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
I have a Yosh slip-on which is louder than stock but still quiet compared to other bikes. It actually is lower than a stock Yamaha bolt exhaust.

Do the full system exhausts (header plus slip-on) get much louder? Anyone have insight? I am not looking to annoy people more to be heard a little more lane splitting.

Curious.
I have the full Yosh exhaust. It's not loud, IMO, but I've ridden with Ferret and a few others so maybe they can chime in on their opinions of the noise from it. I will add that I don't think it will make you more noticeable when lane--splitting, at least not until you've already passed the vehicle.
 
rotor_imp said:
There are two kinds of people: those that think only of themselves and their pleasure, and those that think and care about the impact of their behavior on their fellow citizens. The first kind ranges from criminal sociopaths to annoying buttwipes. In case of motorcycles, the position on the scale can be determined by measuring the decibels.
:rofl: Man that gave me a chuckle whilst sitting here waiting for the pro surfing competition...er...MotoGP race to get started.

By the above metric, I've been on both ends of the scale, and perhaps could have been called an "outlier".

These days, I cannot bring myself to even install a slip-on.

I have had all kinds of bikes with very loud pipes, from Japanese sportbikes to Big-Twin HD. The noise, in the end, was only for my own satisfaction. I truly had myself talked into the idea that the ear-shattering "Screamin' Eagle" pipes would make more people aware of me. But after who knows how many hundreds of thousands of miles of loud pipes, I found they made absolutely no different. And in fact, all those bright vests, jackets, helmets, and whatnot don't help either. I ride in very heavy urban traffic almost every day at present. There is so much noise and visual clutter that no motorist is going to take note of a brilliant yellow jacket, red helmet, or ear-shattering set of pipes. The sound could be coming from anywhere. It could be a truck or a train or a helicopter or airplane. They roll up their windows and listen to the infotainment system.

What I HAVE noticed is they pay attention to a bright headlight, especially when splitting lanes, and more often than not, will move over to allow me to pass safely. So our lane-splitting bill has helped. But that can also be taken too far. Some of these ADV and HD riders have just gotten out of control with blinding lights, but if it prevents an accident I would not argue with it too much.

Lights and sirens are the only two things that get motorists' attention, and even those sometimes don't.

I have no business telling anyone not to get a pipe as I've had many, but don't fool yourself into thinking they save lives. My whisper-quiet, stock '13 Standard had more freeway drivers parting like the Red Sea the other day than any other bike on the road. I can barely hear the engine myself.
 
Clearly, there are differences of opinion on this subject...and let me start by saying, if it works for you, keep on doing it. Here's my two cents: I've had the bike for about a year now. of course, I started out with the stock OEM muffler. The stock muffler is so quiet, I could barely hear it. Next (with the guidance of a fellow forum member) I cut about a square inch hole in back plate of the muffler and it was a clear improvement. However, after riding the bike for a while with this new alteration it became evident that it was still a bit too quiet for my liking. I then did my homework and settled on the GPR slip on. Sucker cost me $500. But in the end it is worth every nickel. Here's why: I can see the drivers in their cars noticing me far more than they ever did before. Let me repeat FAR more. Also, the bike sounds like a motorcycle should...pretty loud and very satisfying. Definitely not crazy loud but plenty loud and Rumlin like a boss. Perfect for me!
 
Thread starter
LOL I wasn't looking to wake up the entire neighborhood just wanted a little more volume. This bike can never be as loud as open straight pipes on a Harley we all know that so why debate "harley" noise levels?.
 
I have the full Yoshi with a K&N air filter and it's perfect and by no means too loud. The slight performance increase is also a nice little bonus.
 
Back
Top