How long

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
How long is the longest you have gone without starting your CB 1100?

For me it's probably 9 or 10 days, I don't think any of my bikes have sat for more than 45 days (last winter was brutal)

but I'll bet judging from some of the mileages being reported, that some of these bikes sit for quite awhile, especially in the northern climes.
 
I usually ride every month of the year but nothing like what you do. Sometimes it just for a few miles. I never just start it and let it idle then shut it off. Our weather here is fairly moderate in the winter, this year it's been exceptionally moderate. My rides during good weather rarely exceed 50 miles, usually 25. 4k a year is a normal average, however I'm hoping that this year I put a bit more on.
 
I put mine up for the winter on Nov. 28th, so almost two months now. I'm guessing it'll be mid-March before it comes out of hibernation. I have other bikes, and keep one running through the winter...but choose not to subject the CB to that. Plus, I've always found it kind of nice to have the once-a-year break...when you take that first ride in the spring, it's kinda like the bike is "new" again for a brief period.
 
Put mine up around the last day in Oct. or Nov. 1 .
Won't start it again until we have some heavy rains in the spring to wash the streets off of the salt. The salt gets so thick on the streets by mid winter when you drive it comes up in clouds in traffic.
Maybe late April if we are lucky. Plan on mounting my new tires
though if we get a couple of days when I can work in the garage.
It is already on my lift.
 
Mine has been sitting much more than I like this year. The first year it was off to the races, but now....not so much.
 
You guys are depressing me talking about putting your CB's up for winter.Down here in the south it can get too cold to ride but not much.I do remember those Maryland winters,moved south in 1999 and not a bit sorry for moving.:banana:
 
Since September :(
 
I ride just about every day, but swap back and forth between the CB750 and the CB1100. The most either bike will go without running is 3 or 4 days. The only exceptions are when I take off for flying vacations when they may sit idle for a couple of weeks.

Regular running has proven beneficial to my carbed CB750. I've had it for 20 years and it has never sat idle for long. Never had to pull the carbs in all that time (or do much of anything else besides oil, tires and chains).
 
I start my bikes at least once/month in the "off-season". I try to ride each one for at least 10-15 minutes each time I start them.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I start my bikes at least once/month in the "off-season". I try to ride each one for at least 10-15 minutes each time I start them.
That is a good practice (i.e. riding them). Air cooled bikes need to be brought up to operating temperature after a cold start. When cold, the clearances between the piston and cylinder wall is greater, which allows moisture (product of normal combustion) to blow by into the crankcase. Letting them get to operating temp purges that moisture. Just starting briefly and shutting down is actually worse than not starting it at all.
 
I think the longest has been a month or so (pushing a month again) as I try to cycle through the bikes, using one each weekend. Weather tends to muck that up a bit.
 
Longest has been about 2 weeks. I start it once a week if the temp is above 20 or so, letting it warm up to about 195 or so (I check with my pocket IR thermometer), then I let it cool down a while, then run it again for a couple of minutes idling in 2nd while on the center stand.
Last time I was able to ride was Christmas Eve before all the snow came.
 
Weather permitting I try to take the CB for a short spin 10-15 miles at least once per month during the off season (Nov-March).
 
Mine has been sitting since delivered back in August. I had some unplanned surgery that went very well a week later and it's taken all this time to get strong enough to handle a bike again but I will ride it for the first time soon, early March. For now, she has fresh fuel and fuel stabilizer and I start her every few days.
 
I park all my bikes around the first week of November and won't start them again until early-mid April - unless we get an unusually early spring which is not likely.
 
I love the Cb more now than when i first purchased it. Originally purchased it as a commuter bike but now my triumph street triple is the commuter bike and I ride the Cb on special occasions or if I feel like just crusing and really enjoying the ride. Its been 3 weeks since my last jaunt with the CB...
 
Back
Top