How is your black engine paint job holding up?

Tev62

Road warrior
Thread starter
93eca24f44d9b76f07ef30d19e9cb89f.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking I wouldn't mind if my 2017MY EX engine was non-painted like that of Alfgaxaticos (shown in this post) and the newer 2019/20 MY EX.

I gave it a wash yesterday and noticed another patch of silver paint peeling off around the valve cover at the front. It is already pretty patchy underneath. For a bike that is just three years old and not quite 9.5K Km on the clock that is a pretty poor.

How is anyone else faring in that department?
 
It seems to be the case where these ~5yr old bikes are starting to see factory oversights in some parts of the world, some more than others based on climate.

I guess this is when we start seeing more engine rebuilds/re-finishes on the motors.

I own a black '14 Standard with an all black motor. But I wouldn't mind an all brushed engine on mine either. Maybe it becomes a question of mileage over the years...

Only time will tell
 
The CB does take a bit of effort to keep on top of, with all the chrome, coated and exposed alloy. Riding when our roads are plastered in that aggressive white salt never helps. Evil stuff. Once corrosion gets under a coating I don’t know what you can do to stop it TBH other than touch up or try to strip it off and repaint. Tricky one.
 
Same issue in most of Canada around the winter season. Once rust grabs a decent hold, I see many folks just try to live with it. It is a part of the domain.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Same issue in most of Canada around the winter season. Once rust grabs a decent hold, I see many folks just try to live with it. It is a part of the domain.
I agree and can understand that for the exposed alloy and chrome, I knew that would take a little care and I don't mind that at all, it is what makes my EX an EX after all..

But I find that a little bit forgiving of owners on the engine paint. This paint should withstand a lot more than it currently does, especially from the premium Japanese brand. Never mind, I'll pretend I can't see it. :D
 
Keep in mind that older riders like us also do not look as good as years ago : it's called PATINA and patina is in at the moment .
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Keep in mind that older riders like us also do not look as good as years ago : it's called PATINA and patina is in at the moment .
I tell the missus that when she come home from work, "ooh, I can see that patina about you there love".

This might be my last post.
 
On my 2013, which was never ridden in the rain and kept in a heated and A/C garage when washed and dried with a master blaster . I only had one small chip on a fin.The air from the master blaster dislodged a small spot the size .25 x.25 inch .
 
As a relevant aside quite a number of classic car dealers are now importing 1970/80/90’s upmarket saloons and sports cars BACK into the UK from Japan. Things like Jaguars, MG’s, Range Rovers, Daimler’s etc

They are always listed as having no corrosion. Condition is quite remarkable underneath, I’ve seen the videos online.

So perhaps corrosion in Japan can’t be as much of an issue as it is for us. Never been so don’t know why. We get pretty much what the home market makes so I guess we have to work that bit harder to keep them looking nice.
 
Thread starter
Jfro5687_imp said:
As a relevant aside quite a number of classic car dealers are now importing 1970/80/90’s upmarket saloons and sports cars BACK into the UK from Japan. Things like Jaguars, MG’s, Range Rovers, Daimler’s etc

They are always listed as having no corrosion. Condition is quite remarkable underneath, I’ve seen the videos online.

So perhaps corrosion in Japan can’t be as much of an issue as it is for us. Never been so don’t know why. We get pretty much what the home market makes so I guess we have to work that bit harder to keep them looking nice.
Which is odd as they have a temperate and humid climate (according to the great google).
 
Tev62_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Keep in mind that older riders like us also do not look as good as years ago : it's called PATINA and patina is in at the moment .
I tell the missus that when she come home from work, "ooh, I can see that patina about you there love".

This might be my last post.
I tell the missus that when she come home from work, "ooh, I can see that patina about you there love".

This might be my last post.
Does your wife perhaps have an Irish temper ? Tell her John Houtman said so about the patina , it is a compliment to say : we have grown old TOGETHER !
 
2014 CB1100 black lump with over 17000 kms and zero paint issues. Ridden all four seasons, profuse humid summers with ambient air temperatures in the mid 40Cs, and winters with air temperature to -25C and salty roads.
 
Tev62_imp said:

I was thinking I wouldn't mind if my 2017MY EX engine was non-painted like that of Alfgaxaticos (shown in this post) and the newer 2019/20 MY EX.

I gave it a wash yesterday and noticed another patch of silver paint peeling off around the valve cover at the front. It is already pretty patchy underneath. For a bike that is just three years old and not quite 9.5K Km on the clock that is a pretty poor.

How is anyone else faring in that department?
[/QUOTE]
I was thinking I wouldn't mind if my 2017MY EX engine was non-painted like that of Alfgaxaticos (shown in this post) and the newer 2019/20 MY EX.

I gave it a wash yesterday and noticed another patch of silver paint peeling off around the valve cover at the front. It is already pretty patchy underneath. For a bike that is just three years old and not quite 9.5K Km on the clock that is a pretty poor.

How is anyone else faring in that department?
[/QUOTE]

Just purchased a 2018 EX, it hasnt been very well looked afer cleanleness wise but I notice the same, patch or two of silver paint lifting.
On this note, what is everyone using to restore and keep the engine black looking good? I have previously just used spray silicone / tyre shine, but note Harley Davidson offer a product for this purpose, anyone tried etc?
 
The black/gunmetal mill on my 2014 Standard hasn't suffered from any paint chips whatsoever. I bought it in South Carolina (humid) when new and rode it out west in late 2016. 36k miles.

 
Thread starter
Rogerdj_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:

I was thinking I wouldn't mind if my 2017MY EX engine was non-painted like that of Alfgaxaticos (shown in this post) and the newer 2019/20 MY EX.

I gave it a wash yesterday and noticed another patch of silver paint peeling off around the valve cover at the front. It is already pretty patchy underneath. For a bike that is just three years old and not quite 9.5K Km on the clock that is a pretty poor.

How is anyone else faring in that department?
I was thinking I wouldn't mind if my 2017MY EX engine was non-painted like that of Alfgaxaticos (shown in this post) and the newer 2019/20 MY EX.

I gave it a wash yesterday and noticed another patch of silver paint peeling off around the valve cover at the front. It is already pretty patchy underneath. For a bike that is just three years old and not quite 9.5K Km on the clock that is a pretty poor.

How is anyone else faring in that department?
[/QUOTE]

Just purchased a 2018 EX, it hasnt been very well looked afer cleanleness wise but I notice the same, patch or two of silver paint lifting.
On this note, what is everyone using to restore and keep the engine black looking good? I have previously just used spray silicone / tyre shine, but note Harley Davidson offer a product for this purpose, anyone tried etc?
[/QUOTE]
I am getting good use out of FS365 from Scottoiler. It leaves a very light oil film from a water based spray and is great for engines and cycle parts. An application after a wash is ideal. It is not a thick waxy once or twice a season product like ACF50.
Houtman_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Keep in mind that older riders like us also do not look as good as years ago : it's called PATINA and patina is in at the moment .
I tell the missus that when she come home from work, "ooh, I can see that patina about you there love".

This might be my last post.
I tell the missus that when she come home from work, "ooh, I can see that patina about you there love".

This might be my last post.
Does your wife perhaps have an Irish temper ? Tell her John Houtman said so about the patina , it is a compliment to say : we have grown old TOGETHER !
She does......I might not! :rofl:
 
Here in Phoenix the black paint has held up pretty well so this is probably climate related.

Hopefully I didn't jinks myself!
 
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
The black/gunmetal mill on my 2014 Standard hasn't suffered from any paint chips whatsoever. I bought it in South Carolina (humid) when new and rode it out west in late 2016. 36k miles.
Same here. No issues.

2b8cfd63f0cc05f6591d2fa21f78fe89.jpg
 
Back
Top