How does she do on goat roads..

Vegun_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Howdy

New here just doing some research on how capable the CB1100 is



I'm wondering how the stock bike handles twisty, steep, dirty, pot holeishy back roads, the likes of which you find in the western Sierra Foothills of California. ( think Ward's Ferry & Sheep Ranch Rd if you know the area)


I'm a big oak (6ft5, 240ish) and I suspect I'll be spending money on suspension upgrades but I'm curious about how quick the CB steers and reacts..


any input would be great on how the rough stuff is handled.


Thanks!
 
I haven't messed with the suspension but I do find that the back can be a little bouncy for me after going over a bump.. I'm about 5'11" and 200 lbs. so I don't quite weigh as much as you. I think there may be a stiffer setting or two that I should probably think about trying out.

Otherwise, the other local CB riders and I have done just fine on Mt Hamilton, Alba, Tunitas Creek, Kings Mountain, and the goaty-ish part of Skyline off of Summit/Bear Creek. I assume you know at least some of those if you're from Santa Cruz! Arguably most of those are actually fairly nicely paved, though. I haven't been out toward the Sierras yet.

By the way, welcome to the forum and if you do get a CB, come on out and join us for one of our get-togethers sometime!
 
Thread starter
I tend to ride my bicycle more around here..


I love to head way north of Marin or up and over to the Eastern Sierra


If I do get a CB , I'll look you up. Thanks!
 
I'm in and around the 250 range and I haven't had any issues with handling or it feeling bouncy. I'm right at 18,000 miles right now, but to be fair, I have been of the bike for a few months due to a hit and run so my memory could be off a bit. :D
 
The factory rear springs lack rebound dampening so you can get some jarring rebound after going over a significant bump at speed. Ikon makes the most affordable upgrade that I know of at ~$400 for the pair.

It's a pretty capable and surprisingly maneuverable bike, but if you're expecting a dual-sport, you might want to consider other options. OR...you could build the first CB1100 Scrambler ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I already own the World's Finest Dual Sport (KTM 690R) and while I'll ride that when I know it will be a day or days full of Goat Roads, I'm looking for a more sedate and far less Vibrating ride to enjoy..



I was considering the new Super Duke but too many reports of early year gremlins not to mention $110 a month to insure. Not too sure I want another twin either. The DL1000 I just sold had an engine I could never learn to love.
 
Vegun_imp said:
I already own the World's Finest Dual Sport (KTM 690R) and while I'll ride that when I know it will be a day or days full of Goat Roads, I'm looking for a more sedate and far less Vibrating ride to enjoy..



I was considering the new Super Duke but too many reports of early year gremlins not to mention $110 a month to insure. Not too sure I want another twin either. The DL1000 I just sold had an engine I could never learn to love.
Goat roads I can't speak for but on cow roads it's a ripper.



Hey Cormanus, you are on the wrong side of the road. Why?

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl, you went past so quickly (I assume because your bike is red) that you didn't see the look in that bull's eye!

Vegun, there was a fair bit of bull dust (do you have that in the US; if not it's loose, powdery dust) and a pot hole or two on that road and I thought the bike did just fine. More worrying than the bike's ability was the possibility of meeting a lunatic in a 4WD hurtling too fast around a blind corner. I'm by no means an expert off road rider.
 
Thread starter
yep..


here is a run on said Ward's Ferry from a few weeks back, that's me in front at 4:19 almost clipping a park ranger..



 
Thread starter
yeah, what you don't see is the drop is well over 200 feet or more at most times on that road
 
That skinny road is bi-directional? That's crazy!
 
Make sure you sit on a CB1100.....I think they seem a little smallish, I'm 5'11' with very long legs, 160 lbs and feel a little squished at times.
 
I enjoy riding remote dirt and gravel roads, some fairly steep and full of potholes. As long as you go slow and stay out of deep sand & gravel, avoid ditches, etc. you should do fine on the CB. If the dirt or gravel road is half decent, you can safely ride at 30 mph.

921f8cc407dae82bdbf6b0716cbaaaed.jpg
 
Last New Years day we took both the Griso and the CB1100 to Tortilla Flat (aka the Apache Trail). The last ten miles or so is patched, pot holed with tall frost heaved ridges running across the road. This was before I had the suspension tuned on the Griso (I was on the Griso on the way in, on the CB1100 on the way out).

Very tight road where guys on large singles have the advantage. All twisty bits, no straights to speak of, 25mph speed limit and the word is that the highway department keeps the road in poor repair to keep the speeds down as folks are want to maniac through there. With the cliffs and drops and water mistakes are not suffered lightly.

So the Griso was a bit of a fight, just to maintain my fillings.

The CB was a joy in comparison. Flickable, light on her feet and easy to toss around the corners. Still, I'm tempted to take the XR650L next time and take advantage of her super soft suspension.
 
Back
Top