How dealers lose the sale

Just checked, and the new Z900RS and its sportier sibling the Z900 both use the big 'N' display for neutral, in addition to the green light.

It does look better that way, vs leaving the space blank.
 
Beerman_imp said:
When I started this thread, it was with a few observations about poor sales techniques in Honda dealerships.

Since then, this it has wandered all over the place, currently debating the gear indicator. There is no other motorcycle (or any other!) forum I have been on where a post has been described as 'an 'essay in love' (Cormanus, post #64).

I think this is part of the reason I want a CB1100: the forum is wonderful.

Beerman
At least the CB1100 has a gear indicator. The CB500 motorcycles do not. Every year a long debate pops up on the CB500 Forums about the merits of a gear indicator.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Beerman_imp said:
When I started this thread, it was with a few observations about poor sales techniques in Honda dealerships.

Since then, this it has wandered all over the place, currently debating the gear indicator. There is no other motorcycle (or any other!) forum I have been on where a post has been described as 'an 'essay in love' (Cormanus, post #64).

I think this is part of the reason I want a CB1100: the forum is wonderful.

Beerman
At least the CB1100 has a gear indicator. The CB500 motorcycles do not. Every year a long debate pops up on the CB500 Forums about the merits of a gear indicator.
At least the CB1100 has a gear indicator. The CB500 motorcycles do not. Every year a long debate pops up on the CB500 Forums about the merits of a gear indicator.
Only since 2014. Us early adopters had to go without or go aftermarket.
 
I am in the "don't know what i'm missing" category when it comes to gear indicators. Although, I have a work around to tell me when I'm in 5th gear on my 2013 -- I simply pull in the clutch and lift the gear shift with my left toe. If it moves up, I was in 4th. If not, I was in 5th. Easy. :)
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I am in the "don't know what i'm missing" category when it comes to gear indicators. Although, I have a work around to tell me when I'm in 5th gear on my 2013 -- I simply pull in the clutch and lift the gear shift with my left toe. If it moves up, I was in 4th. If not, I was in 5th. Easy. :)
That was my practice on the previous 6 bikes from 2002 on. Too long ago to remember about the prior 10 bikes. Seems like I was ALWAYS looking for one more gear!...even with the 6 speed Moto Guzzi.

With the gearing on the 2014 CB1100, I don't think I would be so inclined when running 6th...but with the indicator, I don't need to count gears anymore.

Today, I was in the mountains. Decent temps, with a warm(er) layer from about 5,500 feet to about 6,500 feet...then strong headwinds (westerly, with storm moving in) up to 8,500 feet (Deer Creek Road, highway 158, summit). Was down to 5th and then 4th. When I hold less than top gear for a while, I oft forget, although the tach versus speedo is a good tell. I am enjoying the gear indicator, not that I previously thought I needed one,
 
I've had gear indicators on bikes since 1981 (Suzuki GS 850G) and miss them when I don't have one. Not to the point of can't stand the motorcycle, but annoyed when it doesn't. Don't need it, just like it. Love the one on my CB even if neutral is only a green idiot light located elsewhere. My ST 1300 doesn't have one. That annoys me. There is a giant blank space on the speedo where they could have easily put one. I have tried shifting into an imaginary 6 th gear a million times, and also ridden down the freeway for 40 miles in 4 th only to discover I actually have a another gear.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I've had gear indicators on bikes since 1981 (Suzuki GS 850G) and miss them when I don't have one. Not to the point of can't stand the motorcycle, but annoyed when it doesn't. Don't need it, just like it. Love the one on my CB even if neutral is only a green idiot light located elsewhere. My ST 1300 doesn't have one. That annoys me. There is a giant blank space on the speedo where they could have easily put one. I have tried shifting into an imaginary 6 th gear a million times, and also ridden down the freeway for 40 miles in 4 th only to discover I actually have a another gear.
Well stated.

There is little that I would change on the 2014 CB, other than having an ambient temp display. Enjoyed it on the Moto Guzzi. Trying to remember if the 2012 Triumph Bonneville had one. Might get a Formotion thermometer with handlebar mount, but will not work well (at least parked) in the summer in southern Nevada.
 
Ferret, re the gear indicator on the ST: GiPro—Jus sayin.
 
Lol if I was electrically smart like you popgun, I would have installed one years ago.
 
You don’t have to be smart! Just one plug (like on the ‘13 CB’s). Just run the cable like you want and plug it in to the DLC plug in the tail on the right side. Then program it. That means basically run it through the gears and push the button when it tells you. I did it on the center stand on both bikes. Its easy.
 
Yea, like I know what a DLC plug is.
 
Beerman_imp said:
I have been an on and off member of this forum (great forum) for a couple of years or so. I had been interested in a 13/14 1100, and more recently the 2017 EX and RS. As in properly interested - ready to sign the cheque.

I visited several UK dealers who conveyed the following:

1. Disparaging comments about my Guzzi as a trade in (I didn't need a trade in, but was curious).
2. Portrayed the 1100 as a niche model: their customer base is interested in smaller bikes, or the Africa Twin.
3. No chance of a test ride.

The CB1100 is, in my humble opinion, a beautiful looking bike. I just hope I get to ride one day, because for now my (small, inconsequential)deal has gone to Triumph. Honda do not need my business, which is a greater pity to me than Honda - but I do think the members of this forum are riding a fabulous bike!

I will return (thus justifying Honda's treatment of me!).

Beerman
Honda dealership near me has an unfriendly sales department. They just stare at you as you look at bikes, totally uncomfortable, also, no new CB1100's, they kind of snorted when I asked. I don't understand...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
It's truly a wonder how some mc shops manage to keep the doors open.
 
And unfortunately, to many folks it gives a bad rap to Honda, when in reality it's just reflective of an incompetent or uncaring local dealer.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea, like I know what a DLC plug is.
Data Link Connector. If you decide to get one, I’ll send you a pic of where it is. Its taped up and hidden pretty good. Not like the CB where it is right there under the left side panel.
 
The GIpro gear indicator I had for my CB500X just plugged in under the seat. I mounted mine on the side of the dash.


Unlike our CB1100s, the CB500X has a very short first gear and immediate throttle response. That made it difficult to throttle off and on smoothly which was dangerous when making intersection turns. I bought the gear indicator so I could find second gear when down gearing. That made turning sharp corners a lot smoother and safer.

As it had a close ratio 6-speed gear box, 5th and 6th gear were only 500 RPM apart. So it was difficult to distinguish between those to gears. Sixth was preferred at highway speed as the 500 would provide excellent gas mileage and range. The gear indicator also eliminated the quest for that elusive toe-crunching 7th gear.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I am in the "don't know what i'm missing" category when it comes to gear indicators. Although, I have a work around to tell me when I'm in 5th gear on my 2013 -- I simply pull in the clutch and lift the gear shift with my left toe. If it moves up, I was in 4th. If not, I was in 5th. Easy. :)
I always felt they were a distraction. As he says, I simply try to pull another upshift if unsure. Most people do this, I think.

I don't really like having to look down at the instruments any more than absolutely necessary. But I've developed a very quick scan technique that saves wear on the left boot. The gear indicator can come in handy sometimes. Problem is every bike has the gear indicator in a different place on the instruments.

I would be just as happy with a green light.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I am in the "don't know what i'm missing" category when it comes to gear indicators. Although, I have a work around to tell me when I'm in 5th gear on my 2013 -- I simply pull in the clutch and lift the gear shift with my left toe. If it moves up, I was in 4th. If not, I was in 5th. Easy. :)
I always felt they were a distraction. As he says, I simply try to pull another upshift if unsure. Most people do this, I think.

I don't really like having to look down at the instruments any more than absolutely necessary. But I've developed a very quick scan technique that saves wear on the left boot. The gear indicator can come in handy sometimes. Problem is every bike has the gear indicator in a different place on the instruments.

I would be just as happy with a green light.
in my place you looks voluntary so or so every 2 steps down, bcos the speed-radars are still around ( they are so darn much in our very littel country ) and ""the state support"" is fine high......

btw.

how many times i wanted switch up one more : ah ok i am still in the biggest gear.....and now with a quarter short view down....
 
Back
Top