How dealers lose the sale

I reckon.

Just to be a bit clearer, At 120 kph (75 mph) I'm turning a shade over 4,000 rpm. At 129 kph (80 mph) it would be a up a bit, but not much as I recall. However, that 120 is as shown on the speedo; the GPS says actual speed is nearer 113-114 kph (70 mph). So 80 mph real may be edging towards 4,500. In any event, there's no real discomfort from buzz. I simply get weary hanging on as the speed climbs above that.

And, as the maximum speed limit in Australia is 110 kph (68 mph) and more often 100 kph (62 mph) and penalties for speeding are strict in the extreme, it's in my interests not to get too excited about speeding!
 
That's on a 5 speed on a 6 speed here are the rpms in 6th

6th gear....speed vs rpm

80 in 6th 3750 rpms

0db3f3aa23ff09768ee82858bad01fdd.jpg
 
That is simply awesome. 3,750 rpm ought to mean no engine buzz, right? No engine buzz and a freeway cruising speed of 80 mph is fine by me.

That shot reminds me of something I've been looking for all over youtube, and have yet to find: a video of the '14 Deluxe or '17 EX ridden at night, so we can see the illuminated clocks and digital display.

Come to think of it, there are hardly any onboard ride reviews of the '17 EX, of the type produced by The Missender Flyer, Cager on Two Wheels, or motorcyclist.com's MC Commute series. About the only ones seem to be from Japan or eastern Europe, and the voiceovers aren't in English.

mickey, have you done any ride videos of your '14 Deluxe, to go with your still shots? I'd love to see one, especially one that also includes some night shots.
 
Hey VLJ, hopefully by now you've figured out that ownership of a CB1100 is not required for long term participation here on this forum, lol. I do get why the ferret and others feel that the CB1100 might not work to your satisfaction. I would tend to agree. I do hope that you get a test ride of one to find out for yourself some day soon. However, even you were to find that the bike does not the check off all of the necessary boxes for you, I don't think that would prevent you from appreciating the CB1100 for what it is.

It seems like you already have a pretty good idea of what this bike is all about. I would imagine that it would be easy to romanticize about the CB1100, but possibly harder to live with for someone who actually makes the most of the performance allotted to us by todays sports bikes. While it's a far better bike than the CBs of decades past, it's also very similar in many ways. To me, that is the true beauty of the CB1100. Honda has provided us with a bit of a two-wheeled time machine, for better or worse. Most of us who end up with the bike long-term feel that's for the better obviously. But it's certainly not for everyone, and that's really okay.
 
all still shots VLJ. Here's a shot of the gauges at night

a23213c43b9a22513cb90f73315d2291.jpg


and one in direct sun

6e720465608616d544ffefc9e46e230c.jpg
 
I have two minor quibbles with my DLX. The first is evident in your night shot. When in neutral, the gear indicator should show an "N." Having to glance over to the speedo to see the little green N seems a bit inconsistent.

The second has been rectified on your bike, but not yet on mine. You installed a '13 turn signal cluster (with the horn button below the turn signal switch). Mine still has the original '14 cluster with the horn button above the turn signal switch. I prefer yours.

I also think it's funny that they use a car engine block as the symbol for the PGM-FI malfunction indicator lamp. Either that, or it's supposed to be a fish.
 
Thanks for the night pic, mickey. Looks like the 2014's font is a littler smaller than the 2017's.

Any idea what the extra hook mount on the right side footguard bracket is for? On both the '14 Deluxe and '17 EX the right footguard bracket has what looks like an extra mounting point above the rider's peg, but it's only on the right side. It's missing from the left side bracket. It looks like a bungee hook mounting point, but if that were the case it ought to be included on both sides.
 
VLJ it's a guard for the rear brake plunger
 
VLJ_imp said:
Thanks for the night pic, mickey. Looks like the 2014's font is a littler smaller than the 2017's.

Any idea what the extra hook mount on the right side footguard bracket is for? On both the '14 Deluxe and '17 EX the right footguard bracket has what looks like an extra mounting point above the rider's peg, but it's only on the right side. It's missing from the left side bracket. It looks like a bungee hook mounting point, but if that were the case it ought to be included on both sides.
That is to protect two hoses behind the right foot guard bracket. It was too cold in the garage to investigate what they are used for. Maybe a look in the parts diagrams would tell us.

Ooops! Too slow typing. Thought it might be something to do with the rear brake.

The bungee mounting points are behind the passenger's foot pegs. I use them for the strap hooks on my tail bag. The pegs will fold up and ensure the strap hooks can not slip out of the bracket.
 
I agree with LongRanger. The gear indicator should include a large 'N' for neutral, as it does on most other bikes with gear indicators. Leaving that large center space blank when in neutral just looks wrong.
 
I agree with LongRanger and VLJ. It's also plain illogical, if I could channel Mr Spock. Why have two sources of information about the gear position?
 
Thread starter
When I started this thread, it was with a few observations about poor sales techniques in Honda dealerships.

Since then, this it has wandered all over the place, currently debating the gear indicator. There is no other motorcycle (or any other!) forum I have been on where a post has been described as 'an 'essay in love' (Cormanus, post #64).

I think this is part of the reason I want a CB1100: the forum is wonderful.

Beerman
 
Beerman_imp said:
When I started this thread, it was with a few observations about poor sales techniques in Honda dealerships.

Since then, this it has wandered all over the place, currently debating the gear indicator. There is no other motorcycle (or any other!) forum I have been on where a post has been described as 'an 'essay in love' (Cormanus, post #64).

I think this is part of the reason I want a CB1100: the forum is wonderful.

Beerman

I concur. Now let’s turn it into an oil thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Regarding gear position:

1. Never thought I'd need one; this is my second 6 speed, but first gear indicator and I am finding that I like it. Also appreciating the trip computer and another bike first, a hydraulic clutch.

2. Not entirely illogical, as the gear position switch connects one of six wires to ground and the neutral switch connects the N indicator to ground.

a. No flash of N when shifting 1 to 2.

b. When the gear section goes blank, without looking left to the Neutral light, it is very obvious that gears are in neutral.

c. Should the gear switch fail, the Neutral indicator is separate. Not so bad.

2649 miles since Nov 7. Hiked from Cold Creek Road to get photos of a couple wild horses. Some will approach, some trot off, these just ignored me.

Should be ~2,800 miles by tomorrow afternoon.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I can't comment on buzziness at higher rpm's, but I imagine others here can. I rarely take the bike over 4000 rpm (what's that, like 80 mph?) and I've never taken it over 5000 rpm. Certainly, between 2500 and 4000 rpm, the CB has plenty of juice. Good, smooth, bottomless torque -- just right for sensible street riding. I've got more suitable toys for sustained high speed (90-120 mph) riding. These days, however, I'm finding less and less enjoyment from those antics.
I have a '13 five speed and at 85 plus mph engine rpm and "buzziness are not problems, the issue is sitting up the lack of a windscreen. Agree completely, this is not the bike for "those antics", I have a sportbike in the garage if I want a thrill, but the CB is usually the one I ride.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I have two minor quibbles with my DLX. The first is evident in your night shot. When in neutral, the gear indicator should show an "N." Having to glance over to the speedo to see the little green N seems a bit inconsistent.

The second has been rectified on your bike, but not yet on mine. You installed a '13 turn signal cluster (with the horn button below the turn signal switch). Mine still has the original '14 cluster with the horn button above the turn signal switch. I prefer yours.

I also think it's funny that they use a car engine block as the symbol for the PGM-FI malfunction indicator lamp. Either that, or it's supposed to be a fish.
True dat. Hate the new standard Honda controls.
 
I was wrong about the gear indicator display, and the whole 'N' for neutral thing. It turns out that my XSR900 doesn't show a big 'N' for neutral either. Like the CB1100, a green 'N' light comes on, and the gear position display shows '-' instead of a letter or number.

I'm 99.999% certain my old BMW R1200R's display showed a big 'N' for neutral, but I don't recall whether my '14 Street Triple R showed an 'N' or just a green light. In any case, I was wrong for singling out the CB1100 for criticism regarding this issue. Apparently it's not uncommon for the display to show nothing but the green 'N' light to indicate neutral.

Not that any of this is the least bit important, either way.

:beerchug:
 
Yeah, I'm fairly certain my 2012 R1200R's display showed a giant 'N.' I remember being struck by its uniqueness at the time.
 
Back
Top