Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
You must be one hardy SOB, icing?? anything below 50 degrees keeps me off the motorcycles.VLJ_imp said:emullick, I bought a '99 ZX-9R, brand new. Great bike in summer, not so much in winter. It had a serious problem with carb icing. I ended up giving it back to the dealer in exchange for a CBR600F4i, which proved to be a much better bike.
And that's the problem for VLJ, isn't it? His discussion is an essay on the nature of love. He's fallen in love with the beauty of the CB1100 and he desires it above all others. Those who know him suspect he may never be able to escape his lust for speed and wonder whether the beauty of the CB1100 will survive familiarity. Will the lust stir every time a transformer-like sports bike hurtles past him?VLJ_imp said:Nope, still not a CB1100 owner. A few months ago I made my local dealer an offer on their 2017 EX, and we ended up $800 apart. I've been checking back in every so often to see if the bike is still there. As of a week ago, it's still there. Same vin number.Cormanus_imp said:Hey, VLJ. I was wondering about you the other day. What happened. I take it you are not the owner of a CB1100?
"So when are you going to actually buy the thing? It obviously has your name on it. You keep coming to visit it, so when are you going to take it home?"
"Hey, I made you an offer."
"Yes, you did."
"Three months later, this thing is still sitting here, and now we're heading into winter. Your sales guy says he has my phone number."
"Yep, we have your info stored in our system."
That's where we're at.
The thing is, other players are starting to enter the picture: the new Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, the new CB1000R, and maybe even a couple of much cheaper options like the new Z900, the new Z650, and the updated-for-2018 MT-07.
I've tried to like the new Z900RS, and while I like it more now than I did when I first saw it, I still don't like it all that much. I'm just not that impressed with its design, and I don't like what I'm hearing about the snatchy throttle response. Considering the enormous price difference, I actually prefer the basic Z900, with its stronger motor and smoother fueling.
In terms of the T120 vs CB1100 debate, I've just about eliminated the T120. I can get good heated grips for the Honda, and I've never had electronic cruise-control on a bike, so I won't miss it. My legs are short enough that the CB's reduced legroom isn't much of an issue. I still love the sound and feel of the Triumph's motor, but I'm fairly convinced now that I would also like the sound and feel of the '17 EX's motor, which sounds different from the '14, plus it's a few ponies stronger. Otherwise, I finally came to the conclusion that I just desire the CB1100 more than I desire the T120. Whereas with the T120 I fear that the bloom would soon fall from the rose once the novelty wore off, the CB1100 feels like more of a long-term affair to me.
I did a 400-mile "race" ride a few days ago on my XSR900. I'd picked up a nail in my rear Q3, which sucks, because that tire only had about two thousand miles on it. So, after replacing it with a new Q3 Plus, I wanted to scrub it in and get rid of the chicken strips.
Thus, the "race" ride. I did the Lake Berryessa/Skaggs Springs route, which is almost completely devoid of traffic this time of year. I had these roads all to my lonesome, so I really went hard. In fact, I pushed harder than I ever had on the XSR900, wanting to test its (our) limits.
Also, I wanted to test the suspension again, since it becomes a bit harsh when pushed really hard over bad stutter bumps.
My conclusions were a mixed bag. First off, yes, the suspension is a bit harsh over those bad bumps, but I seriously doubt that any bike would remain plush and fully composed over such bumps when pushed as hard as I was pushing, unless we're talking very high-dollar Ohlins or Penske suspension. This realization got me to thinking about whether I want to sink another $2-3K in upgraded suspension to make the XSR "perfect," or should I just stop being an idiot and accept that it's plenty good enough as is, and why in the hell am I still pushing that hard anyway?
I decided, no, I'm not going to sink a ton of money into suspension for the XSR. It's just fine as it is, 95% of the time. That other 5%, well, I can just back off a bit there.
During most of that ride I was having a great time, and I was definitely thinking, "This bike seriously rocks. It works perfectly. It sounds great. It's stable. The fueling and throttle response are dialed. The acceleration is insane. It's letting me go faster than I really ought to be going, and it can easily handle a whole lot more."
Up there on Skaggs Springs Rd, and Rockpile Rd, I was having a blast, and the bike really couldn't have been any better. More importantly, I knew it, too, and told myself this, right there inside my helmet. "This is all the bike you need, so stop already. Quit looking at other bikes. Quit thinking about other bikes. Be happy with what you have. This thing is absolutely killer, it sounds and feels wicked as hell, and the seating position doesn't hurt your jacked-up neck. It lets you do everything you like to do on a bike, and it's really good at the main thing you like to do on a bike, which is this stuff, right here, right now. It even gets pretty good fuel mileage (46 mpg, even on those sorts of rides), so just stop already!"
Yep, and as soon as I arrived back home, I popped onto my computer to check out some more Z900 and CB1100 videos.
I don't even know what I think the Z900 will give me that this modded XSR won't. With the ECU reflashed to eliminate all restrictions and match my full Akropovic exhaust system, this bike makes 112.4 at the wheel on the dyno, which is about what a Z900 makes at the rear wheel. It makes about 61 ft.-lbs of torque, which is a bit less than the Z900, but it makes it lower in the powerband. Combined with its much lower overall weight, I'm sure my bike is every bit as fast as a Z900, while being (or at least feeling) even punchier down low. I'm sure my brakes are better, and the suspension is probably about equal.
So why do I still want a Z900? I guess I like its looks better, and maybe the overall sound/feel/character of the motor? I like that its seat height is much lower, and with the way it has you sitting in the bike rather than atop it, like the XSR, I'm sure it offers better wind protection. Also, that price. $8,799 for the ABS model. Yow.
Great, but why do I still look at the CB1100?
I think I'm coming to realize that no matter what I look at, no matter what I ride, nothing tugs at me as hard as the '17 CB1100 EX does. I'm fully aware of its limitations, and I know it would force me to alter not only my riding style but my actual rides—no point in going to my usual race roads anymore if the bike can't handle them—yet I can't escape the CB's pull on me, which surpasses all others.
I shouldn't still be doing what I do on my XSR900. I know this. Even though it's still fun to me, the feeling of exhilaration is always tempered now by a gnawing awareness that this is just plain stupid, which diminishes the fun factor.
More and more, I feel like I simply belong on the CB1100. That's my future. I thought the same thing regarding the T120, but my heart tells me that the Honda is more "me" than the slow-steering, low-revving, British Harley Sportster-equivalent Triumph could ever be.
So, yes, of the pure retros, it's the Honda for me. Now it comes down to this: pure retro, or a hard-bags equipped sport-tourer, like the Ninja 1000 or Tracer 900 GT. If the bare-bones Honda didn't cost as much as those other two—if it only cost as much as the similarly-spec'd Z900, for example—the CB1100 would be the no-brainer choice for me. However, because it does cost just as much as the much higher-spec Ninja 1000 and Tracer GT, well, the Honda becomes a much more difficult sell, particularly in comparison to the Tracer. Hard bags, heated grips, cruise control, traction control, full-color TFT display, center stand, adjustable wind protection, hand guards, adjustable seat height, more upright seating position, much greater legroom, much lower weight, remote preload-adjustable shock, fully adjustable suspension, far superior handling and braking, way more power, AND it's that killer Yamaha Triple?
Brain vs heart. The brain says the Yamaha leaves nothing to be desired. It ticks off every functional box. It's a Yamaha, so its reliability is on par with the Honda's, and the new one is no longer a bad-looking bike, nor is it overly tall, like the old one. And for all that, the heart says the Honda is the one. The Honda is pure. The Honda is why we love motorcycles in the first place. Sure, the Yamaha is faster, sportier, more comfortable, and probably more fun, yet it somehow has the feeling of being more of a two-wheeled conveyance, rather than something that stirs the soul. For all its sporting attributes, it's rather appliance-like.
The Honda is just different. It's the one true outlier. It obviously makes the least sense, while clearly being the most emotionally satisfying choice.
For me, it probably comes down to those two bikes. The Tracer GT won't be out until next summer, however, and the price has yet to be announced. If it pushes much above $12,999, I'd probably drop it from consideration.
When all is said and done, I suspect my next bike will be my original number one choice, a red CB1100 EX. For all the Tracer's welcome appointments and gadgets, I can add heated grips and attach my set of my soft bags to the Honda and not really miss anything else from the Yamaha, and there would be no worries of noisy turbulence from the Yamaha's windscreen.
I suspect that in the end the heart will win. It usually does, right?

More than anything, it's a principles gap. Because of who owns it, I'm not about to overpay that dealership.Cormanus_imp said:Apparently it’s not true love though as there’s a price gap.![]()

Thanks for the kind words. Just a life long motorcyclist of German heritage from a family of lifelong motorcyclists of German heritage with obnoxiously stubborn notions of how things should be, but a willingness to listen, and ponder, and maybe, just maybe change my mind lolVLJ_imp said:I hadn't thought about it, but yeah, you're right, what a breath of fresh air this place is, in terms of being able to conduct a conversation in a logical order.
By the way, mickey, for the record, I should come clean and admit that this forum and you specifically play large roles in why I want to own a CB1100. Even though we seem to have very different riding styles, I probably connect more with you and your way of thinking than with anyone else on the various boards. Rarely if ever do I find that I disagree with you regarding motorcycles, or motorcycling; the new CB1000R being one obvious exception. In the main, you value the same aspects of motorcycling that I do, so your unwavering support for the CB goes a long way with me.
Also, you're honest enough about the CB to tell me right out there for all the world to see that you think it won't satisfy me, so I know you're not sugarcoating everything.
Now, if only you could get the Dani vs Nicky thing sorted, we'd be like brothers from another mother.
![]()
I hope you're right, and I hope that "go" isn't accompanied by excessive vibration. By nearly all accounts the CB1100 is super-smooth below 5K rpm, and its vibes only come to the fore in the upper reaches of the tach. Most of those same people also describe those upper reaches of the tach as being where the CB's extra hp finally allows the big CB to overtake the T120, which otherwise accelerates harder and feels more powerful everywhere.LongRanger_imp said:VLJ, I think you've nailed the evocative side of owning a CB. We don't buy these bikes for the spec sheet. Lord knows there are many bikes that can slap a CB around. But none I've come across brings the emotional appeal, the inner glow, the pride of ownership, the build quality, that the CB does. It's such a well executed motorbike. For the type of riding you're aspiring towards, I personally can't think of a nicer bike. By the way, don't kid yourself -- the CB gets with the business when you twist the go handle.
DittoThe ferret_imp said:Thanks for the kind words. Just a life long motorcyclist of German heritage from a family of lifelong motorcyclists of German heritage with obnoxiously stubborn notions of how things should be, but a willingness to listen, and ponder, and maybe, just maybe change my mind lolVLJ_imp said:I hadn't thought about it, but yeah, you're right, what a breath of fresh air this place is, in terms of being able to conduct a conversation in a logical order.
By the way, mickey, for the record, I should come clean and admit that this forum and you specifically play large roles in why I want to own a CB1100. Even though we seem to have very different riding styles, I probably connect more with you and your way of thinking than with anyone else on the various boards. Rarely if ever do I find that I disagree with you regarding motorcycles, or motorcycling; the new CB1000R being one obvious exception. In the main, you value the same aspects of motorcycling that I do, so your unwavering support for the CB goes a long way with me.
Also, you're honest enough about the CB to tell me right out there for all the world to see that you think it won't satisfy me, so I know you're not sugarcoating everything.
Now, if only you could get the Dani vs Nicky thing sorted, we'd be like brothers from another mother.
![]()
:rofl: on the Nicky/Dani thing. Did you know Pedrosa had the second most podiums last year. More than Dovi, more than Vinales, more than Rossi? Only Marquez had more podiums. The little guy continues to amaze me. Was a shame what happened to Hayden, by all accounts he was a great motorcyclist and man.
I'm sure the CB1000R is going to be a fantastic bike. It will run and handle and still be reliable and have fantastic fit and finish like all Honda's. I just cannot abide a motorcycle that doesn't have a rear fender. And it has quite possibly the ugliest exhaust pipe I have ever seen. I will go to my grave not understanding undertails and tiny little tail lights and turn signals. I know many like that style, and although they look good on a cafe racer with a bum seat and clip on's, it just doesn't look right to me on a roadster type bike. The street fighter look just never caught on with me. I don't care for ape hangers either, or peanut tanks, single seats or foot forward pegs either. But I do believe in to each their own. Personally I prefer some color, some chrome, and some symmetry.
n the Nicky/Dani thing. Did you know Pedrosa had the second most podiums last year. More than Dovi, more than Vinales, more than Rossi? Only Marquez had more podiums. The little guy continues to amaze me. I agree 100%.LongRanger_imp said:VLJ, I think you've nailed the evocative side of owning a CB. We don't buy these bikes for the spec sheet. Lord knows there are many bikes that can slap a CB around. But none I've come across brings the emotional appeal, the inner glow, the pride of ownership, the build quality, that the CB does. It's such a well executed motorbike. For the type of riding you're aspiring towards, I personally can't think of a nicer bike. By the way, don't kid yourself -- the CB gets with the business when you twist the go handle.
I get a high frequency buzz at typical highway speeds in 5th gear ('13 model), which is around 4200 rpm. It's not bad and I hardly notice it. The thing is, if you run it up to 5000 rpm and above, the buzz disappears completely.VLJ_imp said:I hope you're right, and I hope that "go" isn't accompanied by excessive vibration. By nearly all accounts the CB1100 is super-smooth below 5K rpm, and its vibes only come to the fore in the upper reaches of the tach. Most of those same people also describe those upper reaches of the tach as being where the CB's extra hp finally allows the big CB to overtake the T120, which otherwise accelerates harder and feels more powerful everywhere.LongRanger_imp said:VLJ, I think you've nailed the evocative side of owning a CB. We don't buy these bikes for the spec sheet. Lord knows there are many bikes that can slap a CB around. But none I've come across brings the emotional appeal, the inner glow, the pride of ownership, the build quality, that the CB does. It's such a well executed motorbike. For the type of riding you're aspiring towards, I personally can't think of a nicer bike. By the way, don't kid yourself -- the CB gets with the business when you twist the go handle.
If the CB achieves somewhat decent speed only by zipping it up into its buzzy zone, and that buzzy zone is consistently annoying, yep, that would certainly bother me. The XSR accelerates like a maniac down low and throughout the midrange, yet I still spend a good percentage of my time on my favorite race roads in the 9-11.5K rpm range. I did the same with my Street Triple R, CBR600, my GSX-R's, etc. If a motor has rev potential, I exploit that potential. I love a quick-revving motor, which is one reason why I love the XSR's Triple, and why I'm sure I would love the Z900's smooth, zippy mill.
My main worry is that my XSR absolutely annihilates the T120 everywhere, including down low, where the T120 is supposed to be so punchy. I'm talking a night-and-day difference. with the T120 feeling positively slow following any ride on the XSR. At the same time, most reviewers say the T120 feels more powerful and accelerates harder than the CB1100, even the slightly more powerful '17 CB1100, so I can't help but imagine how slow it might seem compared to the XSR. I'd be okay with that, as long as it at least has some giddy-up in the higher revs, but not if those higher revs are accompanied by annoying buzz, which isn't the case with the XSR.
DittoThe ferret_imp said:Thanks for the kind words. Just a life long motorcyclist of German heritage from a family of lifelong motorcyclists of German heritage with obnoxiously stubborn notions of how things should be, but a willingness to listen, and ponder, and maybe, just maybe change my mind lolVLJ_imp said:I hadn't thought about it, but yeah, you're right, what a breath of fresh air this place is, in terms of being able to conduct a conversation in a logical order.
By the way, mickey, for the record, I should come clean and admit that this forum and you specifically play large roles in why I want to own a CB1100. Even though we seem to have very different riding styles, I probably connect more with you and your way of thinking than with anyone else on the various boards. Rarely if ever do I find that I disagree with you regarding motorcycles, or motorcycling; the new CB1000R being one obvious exception. In the main, you value the same aspects of motorcycling that I do, so your unwavering support for the CB goes a long way with me.
Also, you're honest enough about the CB to tell me right out there for all the world to see that you think it won't satisfy me, so I know you're not sugarcoating everything.
Now, if only you could get the Dani vs Nicky thing sorted, we'd be like brothers from another mother.
![]()
:rofl: on the Nicky/Dani thing. Did you know Pedrosa had the second most podiums last year. More than Dovi, more than Vinales, more than Rossi? Only Marquez had more podiums. The little guy continues to amaze me. Was a shame what happened to Hayden, by all accounts he was a great motorcyclist and man.
I'm sure the CB1000R is going to be a fantastic bike. It will run and handle and still be reliable and have fantastic fit and finish like all Honda's. I just cannot abide a motorcycle that doesn't have a rear fender. And it has quite possibly the ugliest exhaust pipe I have ever seen. I will go to my grave not understanding undertails and tiny little tail lights and turn signals. I know many like that style, and although they look good on a cafe racer with a bum seat and clip on's, it just doesn't look right to me on a roadster type bike. The street fighter look just never caught on with me. I don't care for ape hangers either, or peanut tanks, single seats or foot forward pegs either. But I do believe in to each their own. Personally I prefer some color, some chrome, and some symmetry.
Quote:with obnoxiously stubborn notions of how things should be
DITTO!
Quote:but a willingness to listen, and ponder, and maybe, just maybe change my mind lol
Well, I'm trying. Thus, the CB1100 thing.
Quoten the Nicky/Dani thing. Did you know Pedrosa had the second most podiums last year. More than Dovi, more than Vinales, more than Rossi? Only Marquez had more podiums. The little guy continues to amaze me.
Not really a true indicator of anything significant. He's on a Repsol Honda, and he was healthy the entire season. The only other guy on a similar machine beats him like a drum every year. Dovi, Vinales, and Rossi were on bikes that simply didn't work at some tracks, or in extreme weather conditions. The 2017 Factory Yamaha worked neither in the wet nor in extreme heat, and 2017 offered an unusual number of mixed-condition races. Also, Rossi was hurt for too much of the year for his numbers to matter.
Dani is great, no doubt, but his numbers will never matter because they're so wildly skewed by the superiority of his machinery and team compared to those of the vast majority of his competitors. He's spent literally zero time on a satellite ride, an Open bike, an off-brand bike, or anything other than the top-shelf Honda. His entire career, he's hit the track with the best bike beneath him and best team behind him, and most of that time he hasn't even been asked to win. He's taken very few chances, knowing he's just the highly-paid caddy to his more successful teammate.
Podiums come easy on a Repsol Honda, especially when all your rivals constantly come and go, and they have to try to win.
Quote:Was a shame what happened to Hayden, by all accounts he was a great motorcyclist and man.
No doubt.
My only issue with you concerning Nicky is your oft-repeated contention that he didn't really deserve his title, as if Rossi was the only guy beset with poor luck in 2006.
I just watched the 2006 finale from Valencia the other day. Lost amid all the talk of Rossi crashing is the fact that even before he crashed Rossi was never a contender in that race, while Nicky was cruising comfortably at the front behind the two Ducatis. It sure looked like Nicky had plenty in hand to overtake them, had it proven necessary in order to secure the title. Instead, he cruised comfortably behind them, knowing he only needed to stay upright to earn the title.
Despite giving Dani praise for his podiums, you withhold that same praise for Nicky's 2006 season, during which his consistency at the front was unmatched by any other rider on the grid, Rossi included.
You can't have it both ways.
Quote:I'm sure the CB1000R is going to be a fantastic bike. It will run and handle and still be reliable and have fantastic fit and finish like all Honda's. I just cannot abide a motorcycle that doesn't have a rear fender.
I don't like that swingarm-mounted fender, but I don't really care, either. On bikes as modern-looking as the new CB1000R, those sorts of niggling details don't concern me.
Besides, such things are easily remedied.
Quote:And it has quite possibly the ugliest exhaust pipe I have ever seen.
Not even close. The Z1000's and older Ninja 1000's pipes are much worse, as is the bazooka on the current GSX-R1000, never mind the monstrosities adorning the Suzuki B-King.
If I really think about it, there are probably a couple-few dozen uglier pipes than the new CB1000R's.
Quote:I will go to my grave not understanding undertails and tiny little tail lights and turn signals. I know many like that style, and although they look good on a cafe racer with a bum seat and clip on's, it just doesn't look right to me on a roadster type bike. The street fighter look just never caught on with me. I don't care for ape hangers either, or peanut tanks, single seats or foot forward pegs either. But I do believe in to each their own. Personally I prefer some color, some chrome, and some symmetry.
Couldn't agree more.