How cold will you ride?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
As we approach the fall season, and I start to think about cold weather riding, and possible gear I may need to ride in sub 40/50 degree weather, I was wondering now that I'm not 20 years old any more, how cold I'll even ride my CB1100, even with the proper gear?
Do most people lock up their bike for the winter or try to ride on "nice" days all winter long, what are your limits?
 
When I was young (and stupid), I caught a ride about 50 miles to Tulsa to pick up my bike that had been repaired after an accident. I "thought" I was tough enough to ride it home. I was layered with all kinds if cold weather gear. I was so cold when I got home, I had to let the bike lay down on it's side because I couldn't hold it up. To this day I can't stand to ride in cold weather, at least not below freezing. I have learned not to EVER ride on a naked bike when it's 11 degrees F, no matter how much gear I have on
 
Hiker,

I live in a similar climate as you ( lower NY State ) I ride all winter when permitted. These damn salt brine trucks make it harder lately. They put down brine sometimes with no precipitation. I will be putting on a fairing when weather gets cold. I'll ride as long as the temp is above freezing when ice would be a problem.
 
About 40 degrees is my limit, but the big thing for me is that the roads are dry - no slush or ice. I've managed to ride every month of the year even if the trip only lasts 20-30 minutes.
 
I used to ride ice out to ice in and good days in between. Three years ago I went down on a corner at low speed with a new cold rear tire on my F4i. It was thirty degrees out. I just accelerated lightly out of the corner.
I am getting older and not feeling so immortal like I used to when I was younger. I'll probably use forty five degrees as a lower limit for my commute now.
 
Gentlemen,

Where I live we have the opposite problem. How hot will you ride? All summer I can only ride at night as 110+ degree summer temps are so miserable that it's unbearable. In June through August I'm a vampire and only come out at night when it's still upper 90's. but in the winter it's wonderful here. Dinner outside by the pool on Christmas Day.

But to answer your question, about 50 degrees is my limit. Cold roads and tires have very little grip so extra caution is required. Cheers.

Chip
 
Here in Ohio, winters can get bad, but we can generally ride from March 1st up until the first week of January. I will ride as long as there is no ice or accumulated snow. It is a tradition for my brother and I to ride on New Years Day weather permitting. My record for cold was in January 1982, with an ambient air temp of -9 and windchill of - 37. It was actually difficult to breath at that temp. I was wearing a snowmobile suit and had a windjammer fairing.

Here I am leaving for a Jan 1st ride in 2009 ... Temp probably in the low 30s



My brother and I on a December ride in 2007 ...again, temp probably in the low 30's

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec22-2007_zpsb59830c6.jpg.html]


There are some years where I too have ridden in every month of the year, and about 20 months straight.
Chip my record high was was strangely enough in your neck of the woods, Sept 2004 my wife and I were touring all the National Parks in Utah and Az, and stopped to visit a friend in Mesa. it was 113 that day and it was just unbearably hot. We don't get too many days over 90 here in Ohio ( ironically 92 this afternoon) ... But if I were picking ideal temps to ride in it would be between 60 and 85.

Either hot or cold, you have to have riding gear to cover it.
 
Like others, I have no problem riding year-round, as long as the sun is out, the roads are dry, and the damn road salt is relatively under control. The biggest problem I have is this...
I can bundle up with a few layers, windproofing & insulating, etc....enough to stay warm in just about any rideable weather (20s, 30s, 40s). With that, I really can stay warm and enjoy the ride.
But eventually, I get to wherever I'm riding to - usually a heated building like my office or a store, wherever it may be. Then I'm hot, and un-layering can be a pain if several base layers involved.

The CB is my first completely naked bike, while the other two have had at least minor fairing & windscreens. So, a purchase from National Cycle is likely in my near future.
Another concern I have is that I put 40-weight oil in it for the last oil change, as it was all the store had, and I thought it would be fine for the hot summer ahead. Will the bike get hot enough to make this acceptable? I've contemplated changing to 30-weight before the winter gets here.
 
Jim I will too probably pick up at least a NC street shield to block winter winds. I also have 10/40 in my bike, not because of the summer heat, but because I plain messed up. My ST uses 10/40 and without thinking thats what I bought and put in the CB. Will probably change it out shortly after my Sept trip to West Virginia. Will only have about 3000 miles on it, but its just 4 qts of oil and a filter. No biggie.
 
not me..I am not that confident of myself riding in the cold....dumb fingers get cramped sometimes too... I keep her inside...not a fan of the salt also on the road..
 
I was once told that when you ride, take the temp and take 10 degrees off of it and that is what it will feel like when you ride. So for example, I have rode down to 38 degrees, take 10 off of that and it felt like 28 degrees.

I usually will park the bike if it is slushy roads and will bring it back out while there is still snow on the ground but the temps are warming up! Got to watch for the sand on the roads though from winter.

Regarding taking the car when it hits 60 degree... maybe if it is snowing or raining! :)
 
I've ridden in the mid 20's here in Phoenix (car was in the shop so I commuted on the bike for a couple days). Only 17 miles one way. For a day trip I like it to be closer to 60. It appears that my gear is good for about a half hour in the lower temps before the heat is all gone and I have to warm up. But short rides on the weekend to just get coffee or something I'll go quite cold.

My record is ten below back in Minnesota. Not recommended!
 
I ride here in Nebraska when it gets really cold. I don't think I'll be riding the CB this winter, I'll use the DR650. I've ridden when it's 10 or 20 degrees, people think I'm not to bright. oh well. I think it's worse when it's really hot, like today currently
close to 100, yuck, give me 60 or less any day of the week.
Got the CB to 110 mph this weekend just after a Harley passed me. I decided that was not ok. No the HD was not going over 100 more like 70, I thought as I went by, blew by you... HA.
Mine is all stock, I don't think he heard me coming.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Here in Ohio, winters can get bad, but we can generally ride from March 1st up until the first week of January. I will ride as long as there is no ice or accumulated snow. It is a tradition for my brother and I to ride on New Years Day weather permitting. My record for cold was in January 1982, with an ambient air temp of -9 and windchill of - 37. It was actually difficult to breath at that temp. I was wearing a snowmobile suit and had a windjammer fairing.

Here I am leaving for a Jan 1st ride in 2009 ... Temp probably in the low 30s



My brother and I on a December ride in 2007 ...again, temp probably in the low 30's

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec22-2007_zpsb59830c6.jpg.html]


There are some years where I too have ridden in every month of the year, and about 20 months straight.
Chip my record high was was strangely enough in your neck of the woods, Sept 2004 my wife and I were touring all the National Parks in Utah and Az, and stopped to visit a friend in Mesa. it was 113 that day and it was just unbearably hot. We don't get too many days over 90 here in Ohio ( ironically 92 this afternoon) ... But if I were picking ideal temps to ride in it would be between 60 and 85.

Either hot or cold, you have to have riding gear to cover it.

:worship: What were you smoking Mr.ferret..?
 
wildezt_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Here in Ohio, winters can get bad, but we can generally ride from March 1st up until the first week of January. I will ride as long as there is no ice or accumulated snow. It is a tradition for my brother and I to ride on New Years Day weather permitting. My record for cold was in January 1982, with an ambient air temp of -9 and windchill of - 37. It was actually difficult to breath at that temp. I was wearing a snowmobile suit and had a windjammer fairing.

Here I am leaving for a Jan 1st ride in 2009 ... Temp probably in the low 30s



My brother and I on a December ride in 2007 ...again, temp probably in the low 30's

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec22-2007_zpsb59830c6.jpg.html]


There are some years where I too have ridden in every month of the year, and about 20 months straight.
Chip my record high was was strangely enough in your neck of the woods, Sept 2004 my wife and I were touring all the National Parks in Utah and Az, and stopped to visit a friend in Mesa. it was 113 that day and it was just unbearably hot. We don't get too many days over 90 here in Ohio ( ironically 92 this afternoon) ... But if I were picking ideal temps to ride in it would be between 60 and 85.

Either hot or cold, you have to have riding gear to cover it.

:worship: What were you smoking Mr.ferret..?

:worship: What were you smoking Mr.ferret..?
Must have been something good to keep him warm in those temps!

my record was 18 but never again! Not without the full snowsuit! only did it once and it was a short 15 minute ride to work and I will never do that again! Don't much like admitting it either... I think that is tooooo cold to ride
 
Lol..who said I was warm? It was unbelievably cold. Like I said the air coming in my nostrils was so cold it was hard to breath. No different than bundling up and going sled riding or snowmobiling though. I have zero desire to do it again, but it was fun to experience once.

The ST owners forum has a contest every year....and every year someone rides in colder weather than my personal record.

I also have no desire to ride in 113 above temperatures either. Hard to breath then too.
 
Back
Top