Horsepower..IF

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
One of the biggest complaints I hear from non CB 1100 owners on the onternet, is the bikes lack of horsepower. Common internet complaints say if only it had 110 horsepower I would think about buying one.

So.... There are pics of the CB 1100, supposedly a 2016 prototype, the one with the yellow tank, floating around on the web.

Here comes the IF part of the title..... IF this CB produced 110 horsepower, would that be enough to make you trade in your present CB 1100 for the more powerful version? Or are you happy with the horsepower your bike currently has?
 
I'm keeping mine. I'm perfectly happy with it. Maybe because I'm older, but whatever! :)
 
I don't really know if I'd ever use more. The bike has enough torque to get of the line and pull in every gear. I don't ride fast enough to make use of more horsepower and, on a naked bike, it just seems unnecessary.

If I really wanted a bike to go faster I'd want wind protection as well and would be better served with a different motorcycle.
 
If it had 110hp then someone would complain about the rev limiter,or weight limitations, or ergonomics, or lack of a shaft drive. If I wanted a BMW I would have gotten one. This bike is a beautiful compromise and is a wonderful option for riders who aren't into the cruiser or sport bike scene. The only thing that they should address is making the ABS system stock and increasing the weight limitations to 450lbs. And perhaps a OEM rack and back rest.
 
Well, it would be nice if it had the power of the Yamaha XS1100 of old. However the XS1100 had too much horsepower for its stock suspension. Like most of the Japanese motorcycles back then. The nice thing about the CB1100 the power coincides with its suspension. You won't get yourself in any oh $h!t moments with the CB. I think the CB1100 was targeted at folks that remember the old UJM's and have fond memories of them. These folks would tend to be older, as in their late 50's and 60's. Most older folks really could care less about racing that Suzuki that pulls up next to you at a light. You might say they have seen the light! lol! People don't buy the CB for its blazing speed. It is a pleasing motorcycle to look at and ride. What more could you ask for?
 
I don't have an issue with the HP, but understand, from a marketing standpoint, how someone considering the CB without having ever ridden one would assume it is underpowered from spec sheet comparisons. That's just the way it is in motorcycle and car world...people enjoy bragging rights, and 'nice' or 'enough' power, and middling reviews of a bike might not cut it for those types. Plenty of other choices out there.
 
I think most folks purchased the CB1100 for its classic looks. A modest bump in HP would be nice but I bet the reviews would pan that aspect of the bike.

If Honda comes out with the yellow, I'll buy the tank and put it on a black bike!
 
To be honest, when I bought my 2014, I didn't check what the power was on the bike. I was coming from a hooligan roadster twin with 150hp, and so if it had 80, 90 or 110 hp it wouldn't come near the punch of that bike, and so it was simply not important. What was important was the overall feeling, and that was just right. For me, the actually figure for the power is not important, and so getting more horses on it would absolutely not make me want to change.

Actually, as far back as I can remember, the power figure has never been of interest to me when buying a bike. What is important is how it all comes together, and how the bike feels on the road. I remember preferring the Ducati ST2 to the ST4 because even though it had less power, it was how it delivered the power on the road that actually made it feel more powerful.
 
No way hoe say!
The CB has plenty of power for me.
My other Honda is lighter and has more horsepower so if I feel the need for speed I ride that one.
 
Funny, this made me think. I can't even recall how much HP the CB has! Doesn't matter. But I'll google it now...
 
No way. If I wanted a high HP bike that's what I'd have bought. I'm past the point where I need to do a buck fifty on the road.
 
I wouldn't mind more HP and I'm actually quite fond of that yellow prototype. But I can't see myself trading my '14 Std to have either. Everything feels right. It would take something quite drastic (and I don't know what that would be) to make me trade-in my CB.

My 2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R, which was stolen and never recovered, put out 110 HP. I miss that bike. But not because of the horsepower. It was my first real sport bike and it felt so incredibly well made. Cornering, braking, top-end speed, all amazing. But torque? Upper 40s at 11.5K RPM! So slow off the line unless you rev'd it up and dropped the clutch; something I opted not to do during my morning commutes. My aging back and an old shoulder injury made me decide to go another route when the insurance money came. I would love to have it as a dedicated track bike but for everyday riding, I couldn't be happier than I am now.
 
Sounds like the CB appeals to a demographic that values features other than raw HP or 10/10ths performance. I think it hits the nail right on the head.
 
Thankfully, I have 2 other bikes, both of which make much more power than the CB. Honestly, if the CB was my only bike I would probably trade it off for something else. Don't get me wrong, I really like it but if I had only one bike it would be a Concours 14 or something similar.
 
As configured, the lower horsepower is a trade-off for a flat torque curve.

On one hand, it makes for a nondescript engine character. On the other hand...it's easy riding. It pulls strong, 2000 rpm to the rev-limiter. Cutting in on heavy traffic, I've turned onto the highway in 2 and just wound it up to legal speed and beyond.

Be a shame to do away with that. When you're in the mood, shifting up a revver is fine. When you're busy with traffic, it's an irritant.
 
To me... horsepower is not the whole story. It's more about whether I like the power it delivers, the acceleration it provides, amd what it feels like at speed. I agree with Capo... I didn't know how much hp it made when I bought it and I still don't know. And I really don't care because I'm happy with it as it is. The only way I'd consider trading is if they went to a 4 pipe exhaust like the orig. 750's. But I don't think that'll happen, so I'm good with what I've got.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
As configured, the lower horsepower is a trade-off for a flat torque curve.

On one hand, it makes for a nondescript engine character. On the other hand...it's easy riding. It pulls strong, 2000 rpm to the rev-limiter. Cutting in on heavy traffic, I've turned onto the highway in 2 and just wound it up to legal speed and beyond.

Be a shame to do away with that. When you're in the mood, shifting up a revver is fine. When you're busy with traffic, it's an irritant.
Yep, nice flat torque curve. The CB is plenty of bike for me but I am getting old, lol.

2f0b429b03444a40838a07d0598d6b57.jpg
 
capttwb136_imp said:
Well, it would be nice if it had the power of the Yamaha XS1100 of old. However the XS1100 had too much horsepower for its stock suspension. Like most of the Japanese motorcycles back then. The nice thing about the CB1100 the power coincides with its suspension. You won't get yourself in any oh $h!t moments with the CB. I think the CB1100 was targeted at folks that remember the old UJM's and have fond memories of them. These folks would tend to be older, as in their late 50's and 60's. Most older folks really could care less about racing that Suzuki that pulls up next to you at a light. You might say they have seen the light! lol! People don't buy the CB for its blazing speed. It is a pleasing motorcycle to look at and ride. What more could you ask for?
I think the CB11 is a pretty even hp match for the liter bikes of the late 70s/ early 80s. Honda claims 89 at the crank. Yammie XS11 claimed 95. Kaw claimed 90 hp for the KZ1000. Suzi GS1100E claimed 100.

Those are all in the the same ballpark and keep in mind that those older bikes weighed in 50-60 lbs. heavier than the CB11.

Although the CB's double downtube frame looks old school, 30+ years of technology has made it much more capable than the barely adequate, flexible frames of old.

Overall, I think the CB11 is an all around better bike than the golden age liter bikes that it mimics. I don't think a few more horses would improve it all that much.
 
Back
Top