Horn and Turn signal position

Macross_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
After riding my CB for about 100 miles I hopped on the Rebel for a quick ride and noticed I kept hitting the horn by accident. I just realized the placement is reversed for the two bikes. Anyone else experiencing this small annoyance?
 
I agree with you. The horn button is not in an intuitive position for me. I'm not one for legislation, but for safety's sake, I think motorcycle controls should be standardized across all manufacturers. At least the shifter is on the left...
 
I put a 13 switch on my 14 to standardize my garage. It was driving me crazy.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I put a 13 switch on my 14 to standardize my garage. It was driving me crazy.
Oh that's interesting. I maybe interested in that swap in the future if it becomes an issue. Any links or info would be great otherwise I'll search for it. Thank you.
 
Interesting article. Down under, where we drive on the left-hand side of the road, cars are made with their indicator stalk on the right hand side of the wheel. Makes sense when you want to operate the indicator with your hand on the wheel while you change gears. If, however, you buy a European manufactured car, they have nearly always left the indicator stalk on the left-hand side of the wheel which means you are forever turning your wipers on when you want to indicate and indicating when you want to clean the windscreen. Or vice versa depending on which way you go. It's a PIA.
 
I understand the annoyance the design change causes and see how it could take time to get used to. I don't know if Honda implemented the change for esthetics, to have a big gray button in the center of the swith assembly on both ends of the bars, or for ergonomics. In my opinion the ergos of the new setup are better. As I use the turn signals more than the horn, now the blinkers switch is easier to reach.

Then again, as this is my only motorbike and I don't have enough experience on others it was very easy to get used to it.

My $0.02 worth less than that. :cool:
 
My BMW K1100Rs had a push button on both side controls. Push left thumb for turning left, push right thumb for turning right.

Being used to that more than 20 years it still leads me to push the horn on the left sometimes, when I intend to turn left.
 
Yes, my Vulcan is opposite of my CB, while riding my girl on the Vulcan when I went to cancel the signal I hit the horn, there was a hot chick standing on the corner.... guess what that seemed like.... :-)

Sent from me......
 
Same here, the horn/turn signal is opposite from my V-Strom. Several times I went to hit the horn already and cancelled my blinkers instead. I figured it was a minor annoyance limited to just me, but I guess others are seeing the same thing.

I got into the habit, when scanning traffic ahead, to rest my thumb on the horn button. Especially when I see someone I just know is going to pull out, pull over, or otherwise intrude on my lane. That way I can give a quick beep-beep while moving to avoid them.

It's a little more difficult on the CB1100, the button is positioned so that it's more of a stretch to ride with my thumb resting over the horn button. Guess I'll get used to it.
 
I've grown fond of the traditional BMW switchgear (push left button to turn left, push right button to turn right). It's intuitive if you think about it -- your thumb movements mimic the counter steering pressure on the grips. My K1200RS has this setup, as did my ex-'07 F800ST. But my '13 F800GT (which is arguably the "same bike" as the F800ST) has a left thumb switch, similar to the CB (though with the horn on the bottom). Just hopping between the two F-bikes was confusing enough!
 
They are also reversed from the Nighthawk 750 and the CB700SC. It threw me for a loop for sure. Although I think the blinkers are in a more intuitive place and much easier to get to, I often times find my thumb searching for the horn button while riding the CB1100.
 
Back
Top