the Ferret
Road warrior
Sign says " you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd"
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

xpacpal1x_imp said:Are there any forum members that can report back on their experience installing the Type II bar?
I always feel like I want to lean more forward as I ride my CB1100. Consequently, I have ordered the Type II handlebars from Samurider.com, and the Honda Service Manual from Helminc.com. As soon as I receive them I assume I'll be ready to install the new bar.
Has anybody actually swapped out the US Type I handlebars for the Type II handlebars? I am looking for someone to get an idea of any pitfalls to watch out for as I perform the swap myself. Did you shorten any hydraulic hoses or wires? Anything to be careful with???
AllenM' pid='20229' dateline='1385925381 said:Did you install the Type II handle bars? I'm interested in how this went for you and how the bike handles as a result. Pictures would be great too.
xpacpal1x' pid='12547' dateline='1377830360 said:I love the Type II bars...the slightly more aggressive positioning is exactly what I'd hoped for...makes me feel just that much more ready for any twisty canyon curve/turn. I have absolutely no regrets on this modification, that the Type II bar is a factory option makes it even more appealing, in my opinion. I do not find the positioning fatiguing or in any way uncomfortable. It's been a while, but as I recall, installation for me went without a hitch, I simply followed the pointers provided by other forum members (i.e., Chip's write-up). Things to consider: 1) the stock grips will come off, just work them for a while (shove a screwdriver between the grip and the bar and the adhesive seal will break)...I purchased a new grip but didn't actually have to use it; 2) I beleive Chip pointed out there is a specific order of reassembly, as I remember, it was critical to keep that in mind, unless you want to do it twice! I own a copy of the service manual, but I don't recall referencing it in any critical way for this modification.
I've also added the Staintune exhaust, K&N air filter and a Powercommander V. A bit off-topic, I ran across another CB100 today, equipped with an aftermarket exhaust (not the Staintune) and K&N air filter...but it did not have the Powercommander V. We compared throttle response of our two bikes while they were sitting stationary...mine was so much more responsive and much less sluggish. Based on that comparison, I'd also highly recommend the Powercommander V. I'm currently using the map for the stock CB1100...while I don't notice any deficiencies in my current set up, this week I have an appointment to have my Powercommander V professionally mapped by a local speed shop, just to close the book on my modifications to this motorcycle.
BTW, the CB1100 is the first motorcycle I have ever owned, so you might want to weight my advice accordingly.
xpacpal1x_imp said:AllenM' pid='20229' dateline='1385925381 said:Did you install the Type II handle bars? I'm interested in how this went for you and how the bike handles as a result. Pictures would be great too.
xpacpal1x' pid='12547' dateline='1377830360 said:I love the Type II bars...the slightly more aggressive positioning is exactly what I'd hoped for...makes me feel just that much more ready for any twisty canyon curve/turn. I have absolutely no regrets on this modification, that the Type II bar is a factory option makes it even more appealing, in my opinion. I do not find the positioning fatiguing or in any way uncomfortable. It's been a while, but as I recall, installation for me went without a hitch, I simply followed the pointers provided by other forum members (i.e., Chip's write-up). Things to consider: 1) the stock grips will come off, just work them for a while (shove a screwdriver between the grip and the bar and the adhesive seal will break)...I purchased a new grip but didn't actually have to use it; 2) I beleive Chip pointed out there is a specific order of reassembly, as I remember, it was critical to keep that in mind, unless you want to do it twice! I own a copy of the service manual, but I don't recall referencing it in any critical way for this modification.
I've also added the Staintune exhaust, K&N air filter and a Powercommander V. A bit off-topic, I ran across another CB100 today, equipped with an aftermarket exhaust (not the Staintune) and K&N air filter...but it did not have the Powercommander V. We compared throttle response of our two bikes while they were sitting stationary...mine was so much more responsive and much less sluggish. Based on that comparison, I'd also highly recommend the Powercommander V. I'm currently using the map for the stock CB1100...while I don't notice any deficiencies in my current set up, this week I have an appointment to have my Powercommander V professionally mapped by a local speed shop, just to close the book on my modifications to this motorcycle.
BTW, the CB1100 is the first motorcycle I have ever owned, so you might want to weight my advice accordingly.
xpacpal1x_imp said:See this site for photos and diagrams of Type II bar: Honda:CB1100 Type-Two Low Handlebar | Samurider.com
I purchased from Samurider...transaction was effortless and completed without incident or undue delay. Benefit of the stock option Type II bars is they are chrome, which matches the original bars...they are also drilled out in all the correct places to accept the brake and clutch lever mounts. It is tough to see the difference between Type I and II in a photo; however, once mounted, I believe the bike gained a slightly more aggressive and compact appearance...also, after putting on the Type II bar, the factory exhaust appeared too large for the bike and contributed to my purchase of the Staintune muffler (i.e., Staintune exhaust is several inches shorter than the stock pipe). So, in my opinion, the Type II bar and Staintune exhaust complement each other. I did not modify the cable positioning or lengths and have experienced no problems in that respect. The Type II bars do not feel too low for me, if anything, I'd be willing to explore an even lower and more forward position. However, at some point, an even lower bar will fail to clear the gas tank (might become even more of an issue with those new larger tanks on the recently revealed 2014 models). I don't ride long all-day routes on interstate highways...virtually all of my riding to date is on canyon roads with a bit of secondary highway and other roads...I am a long-time cyclist and am very used to sustaining a non-upright riding position for hours at a time...these factors may affect my bar preference.
Now revised to -19 with 10 mph winds, so -40 with the wind chill factored in. I saw a -91 wind chill a few winters ago. Still not sure why I live here. :huh:The ferret_imp said:-17. .. Holy Crap that's cold.
Now revised to -19 with 10 mph winds, so -40 with the wind chill factored in. I saw a -91 wind chill a few winters ago. Still not sure why I live here. :huh:Scoobynut_imp said:Now revised to -19 with 10 mph winds, so -40 with the wind chill factored in. I saw a -91 wind chill a few winters ago. Still not sure why I live here. :huh:The ferret_imp said:-17. .. Holy Crap that's cold.
Sorry to get off topic like that. It helps to share the misery with others!
Now revised to -19 with 10 mph winds, so -40 with the wind chill factored in. I saw a -91 wind chill a few winters ago. Still not sure why I live here. :huh:dBuster_imp said:Now revised to -19 with 10 mph winds, so -40 with the wind chill factored in. I saw a -91 wind chill a few winters ago. Still not sure why I live here. :huh:Scoobynut_imp said:Now revised to -19 with 10 mph winds, so -40 with the wind chill factored in. I saw a -91 wind chill a few winters ago. Still not sure why I live here. :huh:The ferret_imp said:-17. .. Holy Crap that's cold.
Sorry to get off topic like that. It helps to share the misery with others!
Sorry to get off topic like that. It helps to share the misery with others!
Do they make heated gear to protect you at that cold?! Better yet protect the bike at that cold!?
Just kidding. Keep warm!





Thanks, ferret. I probably won't mess with the turn signals, I'm okay with the stock ones, I guess. I do know, however, the bike won't be truly complete until I get some of those little rubber lever tip thingies.The ferret_imp said:Looking good there Scoob. Bars and mirrors definitely give it a sportier look.
Now you probably need some little bullet turn signals to complete the look
We're never gonna let you live that one down are we?
Haha, fair enough. Thanks for lifting us up! Really, I am saving them as the final touch in tribute to your passion for them. :worship: I still have a few accessories to add until the bike will be ready for them.The ferret_imp said:Live it down? Hey as I see it I am LIFTING YOU GUYS UP!
all old Hondas (and old looking Hondas) should have those little rubber thingies on the ends of the levers. I'm not the only one old enough around here to remember them coming as standard equipment. They should be standard equipment now. Silly Honda!
Thanks, Guth, they do have a nice, subtle effect on the looks. Will give a review as soon as I can.Guth_imp said:I do like the looks of those bars on your bike Scoobynut. Looking forward to reading your riding impressions of them.