Honda CB1100 was not my first choice

tomas_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was ready for a retro bike three years ago, and then I saw the Kawasaki W800 in the color green on the web.
I loved the way this bike looked, and the color it came in (green) it was beautiful. So for three years I asked and checked with dealers to see if Kawasaki was going to send it to the USA. No one had a clue if it was ever going to happen. So in the mean time I looked at the Moto Guzzi V7, it looked good, but I thought I would another year to see if the W800 would come to the States. Another year goes by and no W800. But in that year Honda came out with the CB1100. This bike looked great, and all most bought it. But I decided to give Kawasaki one more chance. Once again 2014 came and no W800. Then I saw the New Honda CB1100 DLX on the web. I was sold, I put money down and ordered the bike, it looked perfect to me. Sorry Kawasaki, you missed the boat on this one, cause Honda is going to sell a lot of these bikes in a market place you could have been in, years before Honda. If one is to pick between CB1100 DLX or W800, and for a few dollars more the CB wins hands down.
 
What exactly is the reason that Honda, Kawasaki and possibly others don't introduce a certain model to the U.S. market? For example, here in Europe we have the EX with spokes and ABS plus everything the DLX has (but it *does* cost more in the EU, of course). Why produce two different bikes when just one line would be cheaper (I assume)?

I mean they are aware of all the regulations and homology requirements, otherwise they wouldn't sell *any* bikes.

Can someone offer more than speculation? Just the facts ma'am! If you are a Honda representative, by all means, create an anonymous account and let us know.
 
I think it's all to do with 'think tanks' and 'focus groups' and all the other market research BS that allows big organisations to get it totally wrong when deciding 'what we want'.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
I think it's all to do with 'think tanks' and 'focus groups' and all the other market research BS that allows big organisations to get it totally wrong when deciding 'what we want'.
+1
probably those guys never even would have had a ride in their lives.
 
Thread starter
Captain Klutz_imp said:
What exactly is the reason that Honda, Kawasaki and possibly others don't introduce a certain model to the U.S. market? For example, here in Europe we have the EX with spokes and ABS plus everything the DLX has (but it *does* cost more in the EU, of course). Why produce two different bikes when just one line would be cheaper (I assume)?

I mean they are aware of all the regulations and homology requirements, otherwise they wouldn't sell *any* bikes.

Can someone offer more than speculation? Just the facts ma'am! If you are a Honda representative, by all means, create an anonymous account and let us know.
Even though I do like the silver mag wheels on the DLX. Why doesn't come spokes? You would think the Deluxe model would have come with spoke wheels, and at least a choice of two colors.
 
tomas_imp said:
Captain Klutz_imp said:
What exactly is the reason that Honda, Kawasaki and possibly others don't introduce a certain model to the U.S. market? For example, here in Europe we have the EX with spokes and ABS plus everything the DLX has (but it *does* cost more in the EU, of course). Why produce two different bikes when just one line would be cheaper (I assume)?

I mean they are aware of all the regulations and homology requirements, otherwise they wouldn't sell *any* bikes.

Can someone offer more than speculation? Just the facts ma'am! If you are a Honda representative, by all means, create an anonymous account and let us know.
Even though I do like the silver mag wheels on the DLX. Why doesn't come spokes? You would think the Deluxe model would have come with spoke wheels, and at least a choice of two colors.
Even though I do like the silver mag wheels on the DLX. Why doesn't come spokes? You would think the Deluxe model would have come with spoke wheels, and at least a choice of two colors.
In Britain we got the spoked silver wheels and combined ABS as standard from March 13. We also had a choice of red, white or black.

This year we have the 'deluxe' trimmings in the same colours plus spoked wheels and standard combined ABS once again.

I'm happy with my 13, it's got the ABS, got the nice silver wheels (wouldn't want to clean spokes) and I dint give a crap for a fifth gear. Hell, most of the time I ride in fourth for miles before I realise I've got another one left!

I suppose twisty British roads are more suited to fewer, lower gears. Once mine is run in I anticipate using mostly third and fourth, for the control and engine braking in corners.
 
Thread starter
Tortuga_imp said:
tomas_imp said:
Captain Klutz_imp said:
What exactly is the reason that Honda, Kawasaki and possibly others don't introduce a certain model to the U.S. market? For example, here in Europe we have the EX with spokes and ABS plus everything the DLX has (but it *does* cost more in the EU, of course). Why produce two different bikes when just one line would be cheaper (I assume)?

I mean they are aware of all the regulations and homology requirements, otherwise they wouldn't sell *any* bikes.

Can someone offer more than speculation? Just the facts ma'am! If you are a Honda representative, by all means, create an anonymous account and let us know.
Even though I do like the silver mag wheels on the DLX. Why doesn't come spokes? You would think the Deluxe model would have come with spoke wheels, and at least a choice of two colors.
Even though I do like the silver mag wheels on the DLX. Why doesn't come spokes? You would think the Deluxe model would have come with spoke wheels, and at least a choice of two colors.
In Britain we got the spoked silver wheels and combined ABS as standard from March 13. We also had a choice of red, white or black.

This year we have the 'deluxe' trimmings in the same colours plus spoked wheels and standard combined ABS once again.

I'm happy with my 13, it's got the ABS, got the nice silver wheels (wouldn't want to clean spokes) and I dint give a crap for a fifth gear. Hell, most of the time I ride in fourth for miles before I realise I've got another one left!

I suppose twisty British roads are more suited to fewer, lower gears. Once mine is run in I anticipate using mostly third and fourth, for the control and engine braking in corners.
Even though I do like the silver mag wheels on the DLX. Why doesn't come spokes? You would think the Deluxe model would have come with spoke wheels, and at least a choice of two colors.
In Britain we got the spoked silver wheels and combined ABS as standard from March 13. We also had a choice of red, white or black.

This year we have the 'deluxe' trimmings in the same colours plus spoked wheels and standard combined ABS once again.

I'm happy with my 13, it's got the ABS, got the nice silver wheels (wouldn't want to clean spokes) and I dint give a crap for a fifth gear. Hell, most of the time I ride in fourth for miles before I realise I've got another one left!

I suppose twisty British roads are more suited to fewer, lower gears. Once mine is run in I anticipate using mostly third and fourth, for the control and engine braking in corners. It seem,s world wide, there are many different versions or this bike. Who knows why Honda does what it does. It would be nice to order the bike the way you would want it.
 
Here’s what tempted Thomas :

4c1db2e4da9dafc725384870b6f3ac04.jpg


Another retro that has folks excited:

b87da21a889384331ba3865db787de30.jpg
 
Captain Klutz_imp said:
What exactly is the reason that Honda, Kawasaki and possibly others don't introduce a certain model to the U.S. market? For example, here in Europe we have the EX with spokes and ABS plus everything the DLX has (but it *does* cost more in the EU, of course). Why produce two different bikes when just one line would be cheaper (I assume)?

I mean they are aware of all the regulations and homology requirements, otherwise they wouldn't sell *any* bikes.

Can someone offer more than speculation? Just the facts ma'am! If you are a Honda representative, by all means, create an anonymous account and let us know.
It's all up to the marketing department. They decide what various markets want, and more importantly, what they'll be willing to pay.

The U.S. market has historically been more price sensitive than the Euro and Asian markets. That's one of the reasons that the '13 was offered in ABS and non-ABS versions in the U.S. last year, while ABS was standard everywhere else. I suspect that's the reason that the Euro/Asia markets got the spoke wheels this year and the U.S. got the cast wheels.

My other bike (CB750) is a good example of this. The U.S. model was a stripped down version, designed to come in at an MSRP below $4K (in '91), even to the point of making the centerstand optional. The Euro/Asia version was much more refined with upgraded suspension and brakes (and a centerstand). Another example is the little CB250. It sold for decades with a front drum brake in the U.S. and a front disk just about everywhere else in the world.
 
enzo_imp said:
They both have gators and rear drum brakes.
Pity the CB1100 doesn't come with gaiters. :(
 
We have a very fickle market. Many a bike was screamed for, finally brought over and it sold like hot cakes in the desert. I'm a bit shocked they brought over the CB1100. In fact I figured they wouldn't so I bought a Griso instead. Luckily I was able to regroup. :)
 
Honestly, I could understand how some might prefer a W800, or a SR400 over a CB1100. Yes, the CB1100 offers better performance, but in this category of motorcycles styling is a huge factor. The visual aspects of these other bikes will push all the right buttons for some people, enough to trump the performance differences, especially given how these bikes are ridden most of the time. Fortunately, the CB1100 was my first choice and still is.
 
I agree, Guth. When this bike came onto the show circuit several years ago I said it would be a "Bonneville killer". That may be a stretch, but I definitely think now it will suck all the oxygen out of the room for any new entrants. The parallel twins, in particular, will struggle against a smoother I4 that has just as much retro cred.
 
Elipten_imp said:
Easily solved if you want them.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep. I guess that's right. I just need to figure out if I want them enough.

DAC_imp said:
I agree, Guth. When this bike came onto the show circuit several years ago I said it would be a "Bonneville killer". That may be a stretch, but I definitely think now it will suck all the oxygen out of the room for any new entrants. The parallel twins, in particular, will struggle against a smoother I4 that has just as much retro cred.
Is that right? I thought the point was that some people will get off on an i4 while others will want be excited by the twins. I think the W800 is a lovely bike; so is the Bonneville, but they both remind me of bits of bike all over the garage floor and not enough riding time. Neither excites me the way the CB1100 does. Calamarichris, on the other hand, would probably prefer a W800 over the CB1100 if he could get his hands on one. It's what particular aesthetic lights you up I guess.
 
My wife wants a W800 and has written to Kawasaki about bringing in a US version. She likes my CB but thinks the W800 better looking. A better "Bonneville" than the new Bonneville, her comment.
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
Here’s what tempted Thomas :

4c1db2e4da9dafc725384870b6f3ac04.jpg


Another retro that has folks excited:

b87da21a889384331ba3865db787de30.jpg
Thanks CB4ME for posting the pictures. That W800 sure is pretty. What are you trying to do, make me question my decision. That SR400 is also kick start only, talk about retro.
redbirds_imp said:
My wife wants a W800 and has written to Kawasaki about bringing in a US version. She likes my CB but thinks the W800 better looking. A better "Bonneville" than the new Bonneville, her comment.
That's the only thing about W800, it's not a retro of it's own brand. It's a Kawasaki being a retro of the Triumph Bonneville. How screwed up is that!
 
Actually the W 800 and the W 650 are retro copies of the Kawasaki W2 from the 60s which kawasaki inherited when they acquired Meguro Motorcycles of Japan which originally produced that version of the 650 twin.
 
Back
Top