Holie Crappy MPG's, Batman!

Curlyjoe..Cormanus is of course correct. In the US our bikes call for 87 grade regular

The US has a different way to figure how those numbers are arrived at (of course)

Doesnt hurt to run premium, it just costs more for no benefit
 
There are worse ways to waste money ;)
 
This item (mpg) was addressed a few times in other threads, specifically I mentioned it discussing gearing and sprockets.



I was also very dismayed how poorly the CB was on mpg compared to my previous CBs - 450, 750. Prior to 600 mile break-in, the mpg was in the low 50s. After break in, it dropped by at least 20-25%! The only thing that changed was the operating speed- under 50mph then 70 on the interstates. When traveling on the interstate at a constant 70mph (especially prior to installation of my Puig windscreen - Rbike Mods) the mpg dropped to the low 40s (43mpg average).

From the chart I created, you can see why a major difference in mpg may be related to what year CB you have. The 2013 CBs are awfully geared for US Interstate driving - IMHO, before anyone posts. This was a significant input into my decision to redo the sprockets to correct this "design problem" along with eliminate the 4000 rpm buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. By simply, correcting the problem in the most cost effective manner, ILO getting a 2014 (not a fan of its gearing aside from 6th), I have put extensive effort into changing both sprockets and chain to enable the rpms to be almost identical to the 14s on the interstate.

With all of the above information, one should be able to see that with a proper gearing, the mpg will rise dramatically on the 13s - From the low 40s to the low 50s.

FYI, I also included the results (90% column - OK 89.88%) for those that did a 19/37 mod.
 
I'm amazed that your 70 mph mileage is so bad. I routinely got 50-51 mpg at 70 mph when I was commuting 115 miles a day for work. If I bumped up the speed it would start dropping off from there, but at 70 I was good to go.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I'm amazed that your 70 mph mileage is so bad. I routinely got 50-51 mpg at 70 mph when I was commuting 115 miles a day for work. If I bumped up the speed it would start dropping off from there, but at 70 I was good to go.
I only have 1200 miles on the bike (long story) so far, but the mpg shown in the chart is very consistent and the rapid drop above 50-55mph is noticeable when I fill up after every ride.
 
My bike is pretty bad on gas, just bought a backup 500 gallon tank expected delivery is next week :P

Kidding aside, with fuel down in price we added a 2nd tank for storage.

Edit: Mickey you need one of these outside your garage.

 
Outside his garage? He needs to tow one!
 
Man, how many gallons of seafoam would you need to use to keep that much gas stabil for a season?
 
With my windjammer, I get right at 40 mpg. I don't ride it easy. Most of my riding is 20% highway, 30% city and 50% back roads. I have not gone on any long trips yet.
 
And out of left field, I've never seen less than 60 mpg on mine. It's the altitude. The bike usually averages around 62 mpg, but honestly, it really doesn't matter to me.
 
I rarely ride below 8,000'. Less oxygen at altitude means less fuel is required to maintain the stoichiometric ratio. Or something like that.
 
I filled up this morning and the bike had 121 miles on the trip meter since last fill up. Took 2.89 gallons...that comes out to 41.86 miles per gallon. Have never hit 50 mpg.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I rarely ride below 8,000'. Less oxygen at altitude means less fuel is required to maintain the stoichiometric ratio. Or something like that.
Basically, the engine makes less power at higher altitudes. Less power means less fuel consumed. With less oxygen available in a given volume of air, the EFI system reduces the amount of fuel it sprays in.

Slide carbs in old bikes wouldn't compensate for thinner air, so riding at high altitude meant that you wouldn't see any mpg improvement at altitude, plus your rich running bike would perform badly. I love EFI :D

My all time best mileage was a high altitude afternoon ride in Colorado. Buena Vista, Leadville, Breckenridge, Salida. I managed 57 mpg on that tank.
 
My '14 Standard I bought new Jan 2...not much time to ride with the rains in OR, but it has 260 miles now, first time I bothered to check MPG, the bike said 41, by my own calculation, 39.6 (95m/2.4g). Around town riding mostly, only about 15 of that on the hiway, 3-4 outings. Reasonable. I did find an ethanol free pump at a station just a mile and half away. I think I'll use regular for most of the riding season, then the eth free gas over the winter when the riding slows down.
 
Back
Top