HO HO HO: Honda?s $225 Million Mistake

Fury is a child of Rune....unfortunately the abortion was not performed before its birth!
 
The Rune was a halo bike. Meaning they lost money on every one they made, they didn't make many of them, not many people could afford one, but it's a conversation starter for the brand. Here we are talking about it years after it went out of production.

Where I think Honda made a misstep was to assume that the styling of the Rune would be universally accepted, and that while it would remain aspirational for most people, those who couldn't afford one would gravitate to the Fury, or its sibling, the Stateline, which shared the design language.

The Fury and Stateline were mechanically similar to the VTX1300, which both bikes replaced. And while I still see many VTX1300s on the road years after they ended production, I can't remember the last time I saw a Fury or a Stateline, even when they were newly released.

And while I loved the styling of my 2007 VTX1300, I would NOT want either of its later evolutionary cousins.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, the continuation of the Fury is a surprise.

Although, it has grown on me slightly. Nonetheless, I doubt I would ever own one.
 
Heck, they are still producing the Shadow as well. And, according to the Honda website, a rear disk brake is all new for 2024! Wow!
 
Thread starter
... like HD 80s innovation all over again.


" ... and new from Harley Davidson this year is an innovative hydraulic braking system. No more cables, and a disk up front. This is heavy metal frontier building here at Harley Davidson, 'merican's rider's choice ... "
 
The Fury were on sale in these parts for only a few years, 2010-2013, nobody bought them but them these style of bikes were never a good bet here with our small roads.
 
If one likes the "Judge Dredd" look but doesn't want to spend the rare collectible prices of a Rune, how about the recent Valkyrie?
I just stumbled across this one on my local FB Marketplace:
Facebook

Reminds me that I stumbled into a pre-production launch meeting for this bike at the museum back before it was shown to the public. The Honda marketing guys gave me a tongue wagging and made me sign an NDA. At the time, I couldn't think of anyone I wanted to go blabbing about it to anyway.
 
That appears to be in very nice condition and fairly priced, especially with the extras. Around 2016 I recall seeing new, leftover, F6B's on a dealer's floor for $9,990 + $400 doc and prep. They listed for over double that! I believe they were 2013 models. Those were the days.
 
I read most of the comments with surprise. It’s hindsight, not better predictive super powers. Who would have predicted the market forces those last 30 years ? The enduros which never see dirt, the 200 hp jets which never see a track, the H2 whose marketing Kawa had turn into tourer in order to sell a few ? Or the return of HD after they went bust ?

True, I wouldn’t buy a Rune if all I can effort is one m/c under a car port. And I would wonna ride one in town. But beauty AND appeal is in the eyes of your social buddy group.
 
BUY it, Nacho!

I just looked on FB Marketplace and there are 5 or 6 around here for sale, and $25K seems to be the price.
 
While most Runes probably have less than 10k miles, there were/are, as of the late 2000s, several Runes with over 100k problem-free miles. The American Honda M/C VP who pushed hard for this model took a lot of internal heat for this.
But Honda had always gone into uncharted territories that don't always yield commercial success. That hasn't happened much in the last 20 years, as they've gotten much more conservative. Maybe the Rune (Ruin) contributed to that.
 
It was April, 2004; my good friend Tom called and asked to stop by. Wanted to show me a “New Bike”. I’d been buying, selling and trading bikes with Tom since 1977.
He met me at the door and introduced the Rune. He mentioned it’ll probably be the only one they’ll get. To which I said “you’re lucky”. Told him I honestly wasn’t interested; especially at what they were asking ($27,995).
October, 2004. Tom called and said they want to deal and sell. Sorry, but not interested.
He called 2 weeks later and mentioned a price. I drove it home the next day.
Honda had two options for the Rune, chrome wheels and 2” pull back handlebars. This bike had both.
As mentioned; it’s a beast, heavy, seat was no Lazy Boy and i thought it was too quiet. Ended up re-baffling the mufflers and it finally had a rumble to match its looks. Tom Fleming in Florida was making several trinkets for the Rune. I got the “knock-off” for the rear wheel and custom swingarm pivot covers.
Once under power it handled very well. Brakes were good. Instrumentation lacked a tachometer…. It did have the Honda security system. Pretty much every part was custom to the bike. Some might say it shared the same engine as the Goldwing, but truth be known; the engine cases were custom painted, and had different camshaft profiles.
Fast forward to Spring of 2021. I had posted a photo of my 1977 Goldwing and in the background was the Rune. Got a PM asking if it was for sale. Threw out a price and before I knew it; the Rune was off to Colorado.
There are bikes that I can say I truly miss. The Rune wasn’t one of them. Nice bike, just not one I wanted to hold on to.

Short video before sending it off.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5iyvt-fDnnM&feature=shared
 
This production of Fury is sick.
I think, I saw once, maybe twice???
Never would like to ride, own or even look at it :(
 
I just passed one earlier today sitting in a bike parking area of the place I used to work at. Bone stock and yellow. I think part of what is holding the bike back is aftermarket support. Doesn’t seem like you can really accessorize them compared to the MoCo offerings.

I’d be a little more interested in them if they came with the option for a springer front end and some king/queen step seats etc. maybe give it a late 60’s/early 70’s vibe.
 
Back
Top