Hitting The Road Sunday The 26th.

Motogeezer1949_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Freestyling through N. FL. and GA. on Erics CB. Will be visiting NC. and probably TN.
No schedule, no planned route, no pressure. Just going to relax and have a great time :hello:
 
Well, that sounds like fun. Ride safe.

When Eric finally does get his bike, it should certainly be well broken in.
 
I think Eric better buy a second CB and store it away as dad is doing a good job of wearing it out.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
If I didn't have a dog, I'd have done an unplanned ride this past weekend. Glad to see that you are able to get up and just go. Ride safe.
 
Thread starter
A little over 2 years ago I almost retired after almost 40 years of self-employment, but instead I was offered a cherry job by an architect friend. Because I was planning to do a lot more touring on my 1st Gen. FZ-1, I decided to try to negotiate some decent time off into my work agreement. I committed to a minimum of 5 years of employment at 30 hours per week and will probably work longer than 5 if I can go on 4 day weeks where I can combine a Friday with the Monday of the following week. I wish I would have thought of that earlier - dammit man!
I've owned and ridden motorcycles for 50 years now. I do 2 one week long trips to the mountains every year, spring and fall. No Interstates, no chain restaurants, mostly old mom and pop motels. I'm starting my spring trip Monday as noted in this thread. I'm off 10 days for Bike Week camping or motor homing in the infield at the home of the Supercross and the Daytona 200. Followed by 4 days, again at the speedway, for Fall Cycle Scene in October. I'm also a member of 2 professional associations that have several events all around the country that I take time off to attend on a yearly basis. I've put 70k+ on several bikes over the years (the FZ-1 is currently showing 72) so my butt is tough (stock CB seat is just fine, thank you) and evidently, I've long forgotten what annoying vibration consists of (CB1100 vibration? really?) :) I'm not married, but with no shortage of lady friends, so have no permissions to seek, negotiations to be made or begging to engage in ;)
Have 2 grown sons, 1 granddaughter and no longer have pets.
I sold my now too big and expensive for my lifestyle house and lots of life long accumulated crap 2 years ago anticipating retirement. Now I share a great big old house in an awesome neighborhood, walking distance to down town in Winter Park Florida with 2 other guys. Non-gear heads unfortunately. That said, it's great not to be possessed by possessions. I can't tell you how liberating it is not to have a bunch of bills, to live, own and maintain "stuff" I don't really need. My current lifestyle costs about 1/3 of my old one :)
Have half a double car garage for my bike(s). Started a club 15 years ago when I bought a Guzzi Jackal, which is currently approaching 550 members from all over the country on FB, (Central Florida Cycle Riders - hook it Up!) Locally I have about a dozen well skilled hardcore rider friends, a few are x-racers including myself (motocross in the 1970's). My best buddy Lee who, back in the day, was a road racing champ in the southeast division for several years and who rides a pristine Honda RC-51 that has logged well into 100k miles, retired from being an employed Honda mechanic. The last 10 years working on cars, the rest of his employed years on bikes.
He started his own busy bike repair shop and collects his Social Security!
Living in Florida we ride all year, even in the rainy season (just takes a good rain suit, gloves and boots) and summer time, in what most would consider extreme heat (keep moving, you only melt when you stop!) a few days in winter (maybe starting out in the low 30's) it usually warms up nicely by 10am. And in spite of the misconception of many, including a lot of riders that live here, Florida is not comprised only of long, straight, flat roads!
Well, I see that this has become way too long of a bloviation, but hopefully a somewhat enjoyable read.
I'm super lucky to have created an enjoyable lifestyle for my later years in life. At 66, I don't ever envision stopping riding. I look forward to a lot more miles filled with fun, travel, meeting great people, including the friends I've made on this forum. I plan to be seeing many of you on our upcoming meet up in the mountains very soon :)
 
Have a great ride Geezer. Well organised life you have.

Look forward to seeing you in NC.
 
Thread starter
By the way, for anyone's interest, look for me in NC. at the 2015 CB Rally. The CB should be all cafe'd up and a dude on an RC51 will be tagging along. I'm registered at the Two Wheel Inn under James Lucia and my cell number is 321.228.0722.
 
Thread starter
The shop dropped the CB off at my office yesterday. Saved me a trip out there.
It had been in for some warranty work, new front brake rotors, a new fork leg and the 2nd fork seal. Plus the starter cover was starting to corrode so they put a new one on. Took a little over a week to get the parts.
I checked it over last night. Test fit my soft luggage in preparedness for my trip to the mountains starting Sunday. Everything's up to snuff. I tooled around town a little bit and as I pulled into my driveway the odo turned 8500.
I'll post up on occasion, look for the pics on my FB page :excited:
 
Thread starter
345 mile day today. Did a lot of sight seeing. Chilling in McRae GA tonight, will make NC tomorrow.
Trip was excellent. CB is getting about 45mpg. Speeds varying from about 55 to 70 depending on geography. Got lighted up by a GHP coming at me who kept on going. I was doing 70 at the time, the middle of nowhere on 129, hadn't seen another car in an hour. Hadn't seen a speed limit sign since I had gotten on it, but I'm reckoning it was 55. Weather report looking good for tomorrow.
 
Geezer, are you getting to the rally really early, or doing a reconnaissance?
 
Nice the light up warning. Got to appreciate that. Wish more LEO's were that accommodating.
 
Thread starter
Definitely was appreciated :)
Cormanus, funny you should ask that question, as I'm ensconced at the Two Wheel Inn tonight, which is where I reserved for the Rally. I'm on my Spring trip this week. Probably going to head to visit some friends in TN tomorrow, though it's supposed to be cold, frost warnings in the am :(
333 miles today, awesome riding and practically deserted roads :)
TWI is pretty nice. While not the most sophisticated, the room is clean, has DirecTV, flatscreen, ref. and micro, and of course the garage for the bike.
 
We were staying at TWI almost exactly one year ago. Really liked the place for exactly the same reasons you stated...nice room and a garage..and the folks there were very nice to us, too.
 
Thread starter
Arrived home about 7pm today. Cut a day short, as I got an invite to a good friends birthday party that I cannot miss!
So anyway, my spring trip was awesome. Great visit to my buds in Knoxville, nice rides on great roads in TN, NC and N.GA. Super weather too. Enjoyed my stay at the Two Wheel Inn.
1701 miles w absolutely NO issues. Not a hiccup, sputter, stall, just whirring, spinning, clutching, shifting, leaning, stopping and smooooth cruising.
Stock seat too!
Looking forward to seeing all the Rally attendees the end of this month!
 
Sounds like you had a great trip Geezer, as trips should be.

See you at the end of the month in NC
 
Nice trip, Geezer! Ain't it great when you can ride the best roads while everyone else is at work?
 
Back
Top