Historic Photo

KennyB_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm submitting this photo of my Grandfather we found sitting on this motorcycle, believed to be around 1925. Just wondering if anyone can help identify the brand. I have been looking for some time without success. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction or knows of a "Guide To Every Motorcycle Ever Made" type thing.
 
I don't know what year exactly, but the fenders and the diamond pattern between his legs tell me it's a Harley Davidson. Try a google image search of 19xx Harley and you should get plenty of photos.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
George is right derby cover gives it away. 1925 Harley JD 74 Cubic Inches

Here ya go

http://owlshead.org/collections/detail/1925-harley-davidson-model-jd
Thanks, I knew the diamond pattern cover and fenders were right for a J series HD, but the only thing I could find on the solid wheels was found on a Crosley in the 30s'. Appreciate the interest. Don't remember Grandpa ever mentioning a motorcycle, even when I started riding in the late 60s'.
 
Kenny I can't find anything in my reference books with regards to the solid wheel. Perplexing. It's possible that it was an aftermarket acc and your grandfather was an early farkler lol. My father rode Indians until 53 and Harleys after that and there always catalogs laying around with all kinds of weird stuff for them. Fun reading for a kid like me lol.

If you are really interested, I would drop a line to Dale Walksler at Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley NC at info@wheelsthroughtime.com I bet Dale would know.

and if you find out come back and let me know for future reference
 
Clearly, your grandfather modded his HD...the cool wheel discs are obvious but so is the extra loud airhorn mounted on the bars. Wait...that's not a horn. It's the first ever Go-Pro camera!!
 
I agree. There looks to be a lot of aftermarket farkles on that bike. The front fender doesn't seem to match any of the JDs or earlier 20-J models in my reference book. The solid wheels are definitely aftermarket too.

One of the notable differences between the earlier 20-J and the JD was that the latter introduced the teardrop fuel tank in 1925. Looking at the pic, that tank looks so battered it's hard to tell.
 
I also belive that in the old days it's difficult to say one particular bike model only came with this or that.

I know that cars were built with whatever parts were on hand, the assembly lines didn't stop if they ran out of a certain interior part or body part. They substituted what they had on hand, and also made many mid-year changes with parts that were going to be used in the next model year.
 
That is a cool picture. It is me or are those wheels big? Was that normal back in the day?
 
They had up to 26" wheels as options popgun, but in 25 they actually went smaller and wider. Remember they didn't have great roads, or compliant suspensions back then and the bigger wheels rolled over potholes and stuff easier, just like today street bikes have smaller diameter wheels than dual sports or motocrossers.
 
Thank you Ferret! I learn something new about bikes everyday on here. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Kenny I can't find anything in my reference books with regards to the solid wheel. Perplexing. It's possible that it was an aftermarket acc and your grandfather was an early farkler lol. My father rode Indians until 53 and Harleys after that and there always catalogs laying around with all kinds of weird stuff for them. Fun reading for a kid like me lol.

If you are really interested, I would drop a line to Dale Walksler at Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley NC at info@wheelsthroughtime.com I bet Dale would know.

and if you find out come back and let me know for future reference
Thanks Ferret, Dale confirmed the wheels were an available accessory.
 
Good deal, mystery solved then. Neat to find motorcycling history in your family isn't it?
 
Back
Top