Highway pegs/sliders question

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
What I think I might like to do: add highway pegs to my bike that are strong enough to protect my bike in the event of a drop OR add sliders that are long enough and positioned in a manner in which they could serve as highway pegs.

What I don't want to do: fabricate mounting plate or brackets. Add crash bars.

Any thoughts, links, or pics on this subject?

Thanks!
 
Have you seen the "crash bars" on my bike?
 
Thread starter
Yes, and they look great, but I think I'm primarily looking for a extra place to put my feet that may have the secondary benefit of protecting my bike in a fall. I'm picturing something like a set of very long frame sliders bolted to or clamped to the frame. I've looked around here and the Internet and haven't had much luck in zeroing in on anything yet.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
What I think I might like to do: add highway pegs to my bike that are strong enough to protect my bike in the event of a drop OR add sliders that are long enough and positioned in a manner in which they could serve as highway pegs.

What I don't want to do: fabricate mounting plate or brackets. Add crash bars.

Any thoughts, links, or pics on this subject?

Thanks!
 
I have the Moriwaki sliders I purchased from Mr. T. They stick out enough for me to put my feet up on them, but are too slick to offer a secure footing. Replacing the slider portion with something grippier might work, but would like impact the effectiveness of the slider. Clamping a set of pegs like Kuryakens would achieve only half of your objective since they'll fold up and not protect anything in the event of a tipover.

I think the SW Motech engine guards look the best since they blend with the frame tubes. You can then attach highway pegs to the guards. Twisted Throttle sells the guards and brackets/pegs:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-for-honda-cb1100-13
 
Although I'm not really a highway peg kind of guy, I've often thought - like the_undecider - that due to both size and position, my Moriwaki sliders would work well for that, too. As he mentioned, wrapping them with something with more grip would be necessary, but I think they could handle both jobs nicely, and would be a whole lot cleaner looking than the usual steel tube type engine guards with pegs bolted on.
 
I use my Moraki's as foot rests time to time. Problem is they put you legs pretty close to the engine so careful what your pants are made of. Jeans are fine but you might melt a hole in some textiles. They are slick, but depending on your boots it might not matter. A little skateboard grip tape or something similar would easily fix that. They aren't a good position for long stretches road, its a kinda awkward position for me at least, but just having a slight change in positioning for a bit goes a long ways. Most often I find myself using them with one foot on the foot peg and the other on the slider. Between the sliders and passenger pegs I've found there's lots of different ways I can stretch out.
 
Thread starter
I like the Morakis. I wonder if I could get a longer bolt or even a longer slider (with a longer bolt) or something to get more clearance for my foot. Thank you for pointing me in a good direction for my search. :)
 
EmptySea_imp said:
What I think I might like to do: add highway pegs to my bike that are strong enough to protect my bike in the event of a drop OR add sliders that are long enough and positioned in a manner in which they could serve as highway pegs.

What I don't want to do: fabricate mounting plate or brackets. Add crash bars.

Any thoughts, links, or pics on this subject?

Thanks!
I made my own brackets real easy and added Kuryakyn Large ISO-Pegs. Two holes for the mounting bolts that are already on the bike and one for the pegs. I painted them black and make sure you put heavy lock tight on the bolts or the pegs will loosen.

Dave
 
Pretty clever. It is actually like the mount for the Moriwaki sliders.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, drswan, they do look good. Could be an option for me if I can't find something that I could use that would still protect the bike a little in a drop (not sure that the pegs will do this) and if I decide that I want to go to the trouble of fabricating a mounting plate. Right now, though, I'm leaning toward a beefy set of sliders which are long enough to use as pegs.
 
geosar_imp said:
I am late to the discussion but I just ran across these engine guards and wonder if anyone has any experience with them. It looks as if it would be pretty easy to clamp some highway pegs on to them.

HURRICANE : Engine Guard [HA7570B]

Thank you
Interesting geosar. No experience with them at all and haven't seen anyone on the forum who's running them yet. As mounting points for highway pegs, they may work just fine. As far as engine protection, I have my concerns. Possibly unfounded, but concerns nonetheless. It appears that with the mounting points so close together on the upright portion of the frame, it wouldn't distribute the force of any impact very well and those bolts would shear off. Again, simply an impression from looking at them. I'd want to find some reviews on them, if possible, before ruling them out.

MTC, what did you ever decide to go with? Lengthening the bolts on sliders and adding washers is probably not a good idea. For very much the same reason as I wrote above. Fortunately, there are plenty of articles reviewing the various slider manufacturers and examples of sliders that fail and those that do the job well. In a crash, there can and probably will be a tremendous amount of force at the location where the slider connects to the frame. Too strong of a connection, and your frame can actually be bent by the slider. Too weak, and of course, failure to do the job. The technology of some of the top end sliders is really pretty good with just enough flex in the connection and integrity of the puck (or whatever it's called). I would think that extending the slider would lessen their ability to do the intended job.
 
Thread starter
I haven't decided, yet, but I agree with your notion that extending the sliders could create a situation in which they shear off rather than slide. However, my original thoughts were concerned more with creating a de facto highway peg that would have the added benefit of possibly protecting the engine covers in the event of a drop. So, it could be possible that I would take the risk of the sliders breaking off IF the offset to that risk was having a comfy place for my feet.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward engine guards like yours, MG, and maybe adding a folding highway peg to them.

Right now, however, I'm saving my money for a gear indicator.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I haven't decided, yet, but I agree with your notion that extending the sliders could create a situation in which they shear off rather than slide. However, my original thoughts were concerned more with creating a de facto highway peg that would have the added benefit of possibly protecting the engine covers in the event of a drop. So, it could be possible that I would take the risk of the sliders breaking off IF the offset to that risk was having a comfy place for my feet.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward engine guards like yours, MG, and maybe adding a folding highway peg to them.

Right now, however, I'm saving my money for a gear indicator.
Haha! Love it.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
What I think I might like to do: add highway pegs to my bike that are strong enough to protect my bike in the event of a drop OR add sliders that are long enough and positioned in a manner in which they could serve as highway pegs.

What I don't want to do: fabricate mounting plate or brackets. Add crash bars.

Any thoughts, links, or pics on this subject?

Thanks!
kuryakin foot pegs with extension bones,no crash bars needed.attatch them to your downtubes just below the lower engine mount. wokrs perfect.frame tube dia.1.5
 
Thread starter
Thanks 4845. Do you the exact part names or numbers for this set up? Also, a picture would help a lot. Thanks again!
 
drswan92028_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
What I think I might like to do: add highway pegs to my bike that are strong enough to protect my bike in the event of a drop OR add sliders that are long enough and positioned in a manner in which they could serve as highway pegs.

What I don't want to do: fabricate mounting plate or brackets. Add crash bars.

Any thoughts, links, or pics on this subject?

Thanks!
I made my own brackets real easy and added Kuryakyn Large ISO-Pegs. Two holes for the mounting bolts that are already on the bike and one for the pegs. I painted them black and make sure you put heavy lock tight on the bolts or the pegs will loosen.

Dave
I made my own brackets real easy and added Kuryakyn Large ISO-Pegs. Two holes for the mounting bolts that are already on the bike and one for the pegs. I painted them black and make sure you put heavy lock tight on the bolts or the pegs will loosen.

Dave
Hi Dave,
Could you please post your pictures again?
They are not available now.
Thanks,
Magnus
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scratch that... I refreshed the page and the pictures came up.
 
Back
Top