Hi thinking about getting a cb 1100 have some questions

Heck, good deal. I remember my buddy buying a brand new XT225 for about 2k....
50350a8ec5cdaa083861a1682c911c55.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I love the looks of my spoked wheels, but I sure wouldn't mind the no-inner-tubes/easier-to-clean-factor of the Comstar-replica wheels. I also wouldn't mind the all-black motor for its ability to hide dirt that the silver portions of my motor make all too apparent.

Okay, here would be my perfect CB...

A '17 EX, only with tubeless spoked wheels, an all-silver motor, green dials, and a personal servant to keep the wheels and motor clean.

Or...

An RS in either gold or red, with 18" black Comstar wheels, and the EX's seating position.

Or...

A '14 Deluxe with a seamless tank, and the '17 EX's chassis, suspension, exhaust system, slipper clutch, and additional chrome and aluminum bits.

Sans the personal servant thing there really is no perfect CB for me, but any of those three would work. My biggest dilemma is choosing between tubeless spoked wheels or the Comstars. I love the spokes-look on my bike, and on some Japanese-market models I've seen, but I also like the silver Comstars, and the black wheels on the RS.

The RS is never going to have 18" wheels or the EX's seating position, so scratch that one form the list. Just give me mickey's bike, only remove the seams from the tank and add all the improvements from the '17 EX, or give me my bike with tubeless spoked rims and green dials. On either bike, make the access to the chain a bit easier, so I don't end up spraying chain wax all over the wheel.

Done.

Wait, no, I'm not done.

In the pursuit of pie-in-the-sky perfection, let's go ahead and ditch the chain entirely and give either of my two finalists shaft-drive and hydraulic valves.

Okay, now I'm done.
 
VLJ_imp said:
I love the looks of my spoked wheels, but I sure wouldn't mind the no-inner-tubes/easier-to-clean-factor of the Comstar-replica wheels. I also wouldn't mind the all-black motor for its ability to hide dirt that the silver portions of my motor make all too apparent.

Okay, here would be my perfect CB...

A '17 EX, only with tubeless spoked wheels, an all-silver motor, green dials, and a personal servant to keep the wheels and motor clean.

Or...

An RS in either gold or red, with 18" black Comstar wheels, and the EX's seating position.

Or...

A '14 Deluxe with a seamless tank, and the '17 EX's chassis, suspension, exhaust system, slipper clutch, and additional chrome and aluminum bits.

Sans the personal servant thing there really is no perfect CB for me, but any of those three would work. My biggest dilemma is choosing between tubeless spoked wheels or the Comstars. I love the spokes-look on my bike, and on some Japanese-market models I've seen, but I also like the silver Comstars, and the black wheels on the RS.

The RS is never going to have 18" wheels or the EX's seating position, so scratch that one form the list. Just give me mickey's bike, only remove the seams from the tank and add all the improvements from the '17 EX, or give me my bike with tubeless spoked rims and green dials. On either bike, make the access to the chain a bit easier, so I don't end up spraying chain wax all over the wheel.

Done.

Wait, no, I'm not done.

In the pursuit of pie-in-the-sky perfection, let's go ahead and ditch the chain entirely and give either of my two finalists shaft-drive and hydraulic valves.

Okay, now I'm done.
I very much liked the V7II shaft drive, although ultimately it may require more maintenance.

The last year of the 750 NightHawk (2003?) had hydraulics, but do not think it was an 8,500 RPM motor. Both Sportsters had hydraulic lifters, but also push rod motors.

For me, no greener grass than my almost stock 2014 standard.
VLJ_imp said:
I love the looks of my spoked wheels, but I sure wouldn't mind the no-inner-tubes/easier-to-clean-factor of the Comstar-replica wheels. I also wouldn't mind the all-black motor for its ability to hide dirt that the silver portions of my motor make all too apparent.

Okay, here would be my perfect CB...

A '17 EX, only with tubeless spoked wheels, an all-silver motor, green dials, and a personal servant to keep the wheels and motor clean.

Or...

An RS in either gold or red, with 18" black Comstar wheels, and the EX's seating position.

Or...

A '14 Deluxe with a seamless tank, and the '17 EX's chassis, suspension, exhaust system, slipper clutch, and additional chrome and aluminum bits.

Sans the personal servant thing there really is no perfect CB for me, but any of those three would work. My biggest dilemma is choosing between tubeless spoked wheels or the Comstars. I love the spokes-look on my bike, and on some Japanese-market models I've seen, but I also like the silver Comstars, and the black wheels on the RS.

The RS is never going to have 18" wheels or the EX's seating position, so scratch that one form the list. Just give me mickey's bike, only remove the seams from the tank and add all the improvements from the '17 EX, or give me my bike with tubeless spoked rims and green dials. On either bike, make the access to the chain a bit easier, so I don't end up spraying chain wax all over the wheel.

Done.

Wait, no, I'm not done.

In the pursuit of pie-in-the-sky perfection, let's go ahead and ditch the chain entirely and give either of my two finalists shaft-drive and hydraulic valves.

Okay, now I'm done.
Now you expect us to take all the rest serious?!:dodgy:
 
VLJ_imp said:
Why not? This is just hypotheticals here.
See, you were not done! ROTFL
 
VLJ_imp said:
I meant that I was done spec-ing out my hypothetical perfect CB1100, not that I was done posting in general.
I understood, but I just could not pass up this opportunity to rib!

Although what I understood was that you were done with this thread...but, don't stop now...nothing wrong with dreaming.
 
Are you sorry you asked the question yet?

Seriously, I'll throw out my meager contribution.
Compromise.
2014 cb
Gear indicator.
6th gear.
Doesn't have the two tone paint job that I'm not fond of.

Buy a used bike, ride it for a year.
If you find yourself still wondering about the new 2017's, they will have been sitting on the showroom floor long enough to hopefully have come down in price.
Best wishes and happy trails
Crutch in the Ozarks
 
crutch_imp said:
Are you sorry you asked the question yet?

Seriously, I'll throw out my meager contribution.
Compromise.
2014 cb
Gear indicator.
6th gear.
Doesn't have the two tone paint job that I'm not fond of.

Buy a used bike, ride it for a year.
If you find yourself still wondering about the new 2017's, they will have been sitting on the showroom floor long enough to hopefully have come down in price.
Best wishes and happy trails
Crutch in the Ozarks
Good points:

Never thought I had a need for a gear indicator, but now like having it.
I cannot begin to recall how many times I reached for another gear on the Triumph (5 speed) and Moto Guzzi (6 speed), when I was already at the top.

However, with 6th on the CB, I probably would not have done so, since 5,000 RPM is 103 MPH in 6th. If it had the HP (& not governed), that would be 175 MPH at 8,500 RPM. Plenty tall, but seldom downshift for passing.

Also like the trip computer. Fuel used is very accurate.
If it indicates 1.8 gallons used and the pump price is $2.69, I multiply ($4.84) and then, in this case, pay $5 and it fills without going having to go back for change.

Did I mention that I like the all black with chrome fenders...still in love and almost 6,000 miles!
 
That's why I like my 2013 CB, a nicely playing together mixture of chrom, black, silver and 'gold'. Can't be found in any following model.






Kardan and hydraulic valves are no bad idea. I should have kept my Schadow VT1100 C3.... now I take it as it is and have to change the secondary chain with the sprockets for the first time after 45.000km and someday do a valve check....but as the ferret once wrote, as long as the CB runs good with no abnormal high fuel consumption, good idleing, reving, starting and normal engine sounds, it does, no need to hurry...or should I? Instead I read posts 'bout valve checking and their staying in specs still after long time and lots of miles, so...

Wisedrum
 
Without letting this thread mutate into an oil thread,
I use 10W40 half synthetic instead of Honda's recommendation 10W30 and double the change interval from 6.000km up to 12.000km. If this is the best, don't know. The CB lives and stays with it without any signs of abnormal behavoiur.

Wisedrum
 
SportsterDoc says:
“I did not get as super a deal as several have reported, but it came out of the crate the day I took delivery. $8,784.81, less $4,000 for my 2018 Yamaha XT250, which took 4 months for them to sell at or under $2,999.”

Wow someone got a great deal on the XT250 on that price. I would’ve scooped that up...
 
No matter which year or model you have we're all riding the same bike and any differences are nominal. Pick whichever one appeals to you for whatever reason and enjoy. You can't make a bad choice. In my opinion about the only real difference between any of them is 5 vs 6 gears and even that isn't a huge deal. It's just different. My buddy has a '13 and he absolutely loves it. I agree with him. It's an outstanding motorcycle in every way.

I bought a NOS '14 standard even though I thought I wanted a red one with dual exhaust. IMO the color and exhaust configuration weren't worth an additional $5K. If I had the opportunity to do it all over again I'd still buy my '14 over a '17 because, again IMO, there's no way the minor differences between the two change the overall nature of the motorcycle to such a degree as to justify an additional several thousand dollars. In fact some of the differences on the '17 are negatives IMO, i.e. tubed wheels, weight, etc.

My favorite CB1100 would be an RS but since they aren't available I'm completely content with my standard and if an RS becomes available I will NOT get rid of my standard to acquire one. Besides, I have an extra five grand in my pocket so I might just go buy a second motorcycle and if I do it won't be an RS. I'll get something totally different. I already have a CB1100. Why would I want another one when most of the differences would be cosmetic? YMMV.
 
Back
Top