Here's what's in my garage for 2018

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Alphabetically:
BMW R100GS
Honda CB1100
Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport

The Beemer has 155,000 miles on it. I've owned it (her!) since March, 1991, and we've had lots of great rides.

CB1100 has slightly over 3000 miles on the odometer. Longest one day ride to date was bringing her home from the W Va dealership to NE Ohio. No great rides yet, but hopefully, if I can get the suspension set up to my liking, there should be some nice rides this season.

Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport turned 65,000 miles this past (2016) riding season. She's top-heavy, but I love this machine. The 1151cc V twin feels and sound wonderful, and the 6 speed tranny is sweet. Moto Guzzi has not been known for 'sweet' transmissions.

So, where am I headed with this menagerie?

Dunno! The old Beemer needs something to eliminate some vibes. Probably due for major carb rebuild, including rebushing the butterfly bushings. I love this old bike (obviously) after being the only owner since 1991. But I hate to throw yet more $$ at it, at this stage of my life (turned 75 on Jan 23rd.)

CB1100. I am not happy that the CB suspension hasn't worked for me. I find it way too stiff and non-compliant. I didn't buy it to be a track day bike. But I will take one more pass at making this bike work for me. Already installed Ikon shocks, and have taken pass #1 at the front forks ...... but they're still too stiff for me. The CB is a well built machine, but I haven't yet adapted to the feel of the in line 4. I'm willing to give it a go again this year.

The Guzzi. Well, this 2008 1200 Sport was only brought into the USA for one year. However, it has been for me one of the machines that keeps me in motorcycling. The suspension was good out of the box, and the Guzzi v twin (last of the two valve per cylinder big block machines) is a real pleasure to ride ..... assuming you like big twins that make nice sounds and produce sweet vibes.

So, once the temps get into the 60s, I'll sort it out ....... what stays and what goes.

Bob
 
Can't help you regarding the BMW and Guzzi, but the simplest, most direct fix for your CB's suspension woes is to swap out the forks and shocks for a set of the new Showa Dual Bending Valve forks and stock Showa shocks from the 2017 CB1100 EX. These little goodies will take care of the lack-of-plushness issue that plagues your older CB1100.
 
I agree with previous poster , the 2017 has much better suspension than the 2013 and 2014.
On the last two bikes I put Ohlins which made it much better but I left the fronts alone.
Probably will not to anything to my 2017 with regards suspension.
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Alphabetically:
BMW R100GS
Honda CB1100
Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport

The Beemer has 155,000 miles on it. I've owned it (her!) since March, 1991, and we've had lots of great rides.

CB1100 has slightly over 3000 miles on the odometer. Longest one day ride to date was bringing her home from the W Va dealership to NE Ohio. No great rides yet, but hopefully, if I can get the suspension set up to my liking, there should be some nice rides this season.

Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport turned 65,000 miles this past (2016) riding season. She's top-heavy, but I love this machine. The 1151cc V twin feels and sound wonderful, and the 6 speed tranny is sweet. Moto Guzzi has not been known for 'sweet' transmissions.

So, where am I headed with this menagerie?

Dunno! The old Beemer needs something to eliminate some vibes. Probably due for major carb rebuild, including rebushing the butterfly bushings. I love this old bike (obviously) after being the only owner since 1991. But I hate to throw yet more $$ at it, at this stage of my life (turned 75 on Jan 23rd.)

CB1100. I am not happy that the CB suspension hasn't worked for me. I find it way too stiff and non-compliant. I didn't buy it to be a track day bike. But I will take one more pass at making this bike work for me. Already installed Ikon shocks, and have taken pass #1 at the front forks ...... but they're still too stiff for me. The CB is a well built machine, but I haven't yet adapted to the feel of the in line 4. I'm willing to give it a go again this year.

The Guzzi. Well, this 2008 1200 Sport was only brought into the USA for one year. However, it has been for me one of the machines that keeps me in motorcycling. The suspension was good out of the box, and the Guzzi v twin (last of the two valve per cylinder big block machines) is a real pleasure to ride ..... assuming you like big twins that make nice sounds and produce sweet vibes.

So, once the temps get into the 60s, I'll sort it out ....... what stays and what goes.

Bob
Heresy! An apostate!

OK, all sarcasm aside, you're clearly riding the bike aggressively and at a higher skill level than its suspension can handle. For some riders, very smooth, roads smooth in general, it's gonna work. For some, it won't.

The real fix is to get a '17 EX. Yes, the EX forks and shock will help some, but they are calibrated to work with the chassis of the EX, and I think the overall package is going to work much better than tossing $1500 at the Deluxe.

3000 miles isn't much. I had 10,500 miles on mine when I decided to let it go, and I tried just about everything.

I honestly don't think the first generation CB1100 is going to have the ride or handling the later model has. If you are making these observations now, chasing fixes probably won't work.

With me, I like the mill and am very sure now that the improvements will correct my gripes. But in your position, not even sure about the engine, it's not likely you are going to warm up to the bike after all this time. Someone else surely will, though.
 
I love that 1200 Sport. Buddy here has the exact bike and bought it for a song after MG found themselves with too many leftovers. He bought a set of Norge bags for it -- I'd say it's superior to a similarly-equipped R1200R (though I'm a huge fan of the beemer's Telelever).
 
Nice trio. If I had a garage big enough, I may very well have a similar collection. Alas, alas.

Funny, but I find the suspension on my 2013 a bit on the soft side. Perhaps I am just not describing "soft" correctly. I feel that I get too much compression in the front end when slowing into tight turns. That seems like "soft" to me, but maybe that's not the right term and there's the distinct possibility that I'm not using perfect technique.

Hope you work out the issues.
 
Ulvetanna Wrote:The real fix is to get a '17 EX. Yes, the EX forks and shock will help some, but they are calibrated to work with the chassis of the EX, and I think the overall package is going to work much better than tossing $1500 at the Deluxe.

I honestly don't think the first generation CB1100 is going to have the ride or handling the later model has. If you are making these observations now, chasing fixes probably won't work.
Good point. The chassis are slightly different, though I don't think the difference extends beyond the different width and location of the upper fork brace. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Honda altered the rake or trail or anything else with the frame on the '17 EX, compared to the previous models.

I suspect that a suspension swap to the '17 EX's components will result in significant improvement; perhaps not identical to the '17, but close enough.
 
Ohiorider
I’d be glad to help you out with a new BMW, well relatively new compared to yours.
I ve got 1997 BMW K1100 LT with 28,000 miles I hardly ride after getting a 14 V Strom in 2014 and then my 14 CB 1100 this past Sept.
I’ ll probably list it on eBay in March or April when people started looking for bikes.
It is a great bike and needs someone who will ride it more than I do.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
I love that 1200 Sport. Buddy here has the exact bike and bought it for a song after MG found themselves with too many leftovers. He bought a set of Norge bags for it -- I'd say it's superior to a similarly-equipped R1200R (though I'm a huge fan of the beemer's Telelever).
$8499.00 in Oct of 2009 for my 2008. They were giving them away! Added a set of HB mounts and 30 Liter Junior hard bags, and a Bagster tank cover and small tank bag. When traveling, I install the HB rear rack. For local riding (and to retain the lovely rear cowl) I ride with the stock saddle. For trips, a Corbin I picked up for a song. It's a mile-eating SOB!

Oh, and adjustable foot pegs and handlebar from an Aprilia Mana.

Here she is in early 2010

Mscb1100_imp said:
Ohiorider
I’d be glad to help you out with a new BMW, well relatively new compared to yours.
I ve got 1997 BMW K1100 LT with 28,000 miles I hardly ride after getting a 14 V Strom in 2014 and then my 14 CB 1100 this past Sept.
I’ ll probably list it on eBay in March or April when people started looking for bikes.
It is a great bike and needs someone who will ride it more than I do.
Not a fan of full faired BMWs. Or any full faired bike. My ST13 was gone in 2500 miles, though there are riders who love 'em. I owned a 1993 K11LT and traded back to a K1100RS. I'm sure it's a sweet bike, but not my cuppa.

Bob
 
Yes -- pegs and bars from a Mana. He did the exact same thing, but with Buell pegs. Loves the bike. He completed the most recent Colorado Classic 1000 (SS1000) that I organized on the 1200, along with Rocker59 on his V11. He suffered a bad case of starter interruptus about halfway through the route and was lucky to finish. Gotta love it.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna Wrote:The real fix is to get a '17 EX. Yes, the EX forks and shock will help some, but they are calibrated to work with the chassis of the EX, and I think the overall package is going to work much better than tossing $1500 at the Deluxe.

I honestly don't think the first generation CB1100 is going to have the ride or handling the later model has. If you are making these observations now, chasing fixes probably won't work.
Good point. The chassis are slightly different, though I don't think the difference extends beyond the different width and location of the upper fork brace. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Honda altered the rake or trail or anything else with the frame on the '17 EX, compared to the previous models.

I suspect that a suspension swap to the '17 EX's components will result in significant improvement; perhaps not identical to the '17, but close enough.
Good point. The chassis are slightly different, though I don't think the difference extends beyond the different width and location of the upper fork brace. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Honda altered the rake or trail or anything else with the frame on the '17 EX, compared to the previous models.

I suspect that a suspension swap to the '17 EX's components will result in significant improvement; perhaps not identical to the '17, but close enough. I bet the powertrain changes helped. I understand some modifications were done to the ECU, subtle changes in timing, fueling to change the feel. The whole package is really massaged all the way through.

Your take on the '14 was that it was rather crude; agreed, that's why I felt I couldn't really get what I wanted from the '13. Someone looking for really sorted handling and the kind of throttle performance I was seeking is not gonna get that from the first generation.

This forum is littered with the memories of highly-modified, but sold-for-a-song first-generation CB1100s. Some guys poured tens of thousands of dollars into their machines and still ended up selling them. I been around here, lurking, visiting since 2013.

There was Motogeezer's bike, a real beauty, highly-modded. Just one example. I can think of one other, can't recall the member's handle, he'd done the bike up real nice with Ohlins shocks, all kinds of stuff. Then he sold it.

And so on.

Having worked on my '13 for four years, and still never getting it right, I think the whole package from the 2017 onward is needed to really get the bike to work as a seamless unit, for those who like to push the envelope and ride in a sporting fashion.

I don't know of a single attempt that's been really successful with respect to the earlier version.

I haven't managed to get to a dealer to take another look at that '17, which is a beauty, but I can say that the '13 whetted my appetite for more. I think your ride report, on the 2017, will be quite different than the 2014.:cool:
 
I already know it will. The suspension is clearly plusher, the bike turns much more easily, the handling is properly neutral, there is no drive lash to speak of, and gear changes are both faster and smoother.

Of those five differences, however, I do believe that four of them were specific to Eric's bike, as opposed to being common to all '14s. While I suspect that a '14 with new tires and a properly tensioned chain would turn, transition, and progress on and off the throttle and through the gears in a manner very similar to the '17, the one difference that I don't think any prior-year model can touch is the plushness and overall competency of the '17's suspension.
 
What you guys say make sense. The makeover for the 17 is likely to have involved other, under the seat, tweaks that make subtle improvements to the package. Be interested to hear from Houtman on this question. He has a 2013, 2014 and 2017. Is there a noticeable improvement in the riding experience?
 
One unexpected difference I discovered with the '17 is that Honda has bumped up the infamous valve-inspection interval from 8K miles to 12K miles. I know most experienced Honda owners feel this inspection is not necessary unless the bike is showing symptoms of out-of-spec valves, but that 8K interval has long served as precious manna for CB1100 detractors all over the interwebs, and now it's been increased by fifty percent.

Interesting.
 
My 2017 is the nicest riding bike WITHOUT any shock upgrades , as said before I did put Ohlins shocks on the 2013 and 2014.
Also right from the start I felt that the Dunlop tires were much better than the OEM Bridgestones on the 2013 and the 2014.
All my bikes have the Corbin seat and the Vario footpegs
Could it also be that the spoked wheels give a plusher ride ?
The only wish I have is that I would prefer an all silver engine like the 2014 , some black on the 2017 but not really a make or brake point.
 
The 2017 bar clamp position got moved farther forward of the stem centerline.
So, in addition to opening up the cockpit larger for taller riders, does this change do anything else, like changing steering input and/or steering effort goes?

ps, the '17 pinch bolt got relocated to the back vs '13/14 front.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Hey ohiorider and Houtman, if you don't mind — how much do you guys weigh?
Just left doc's office and on their scale I weighed 162 .... wearing loafers, jeans, sweater, and with billfold in pocket .... say about 159-160.

Bob
F800GT_imp said:
OP,

With a title like this : "Here's what's in my garage for 2018"

and no picture ? :huh:
Garage is filthy. and cold. So no current pics. the CB looks exactly like any all-black 2014 with chrome fenders. And there is a link to a YouTube video of the Moto Guzzi from 2010. See my previous post in this thread. Plus I haven't picked a new photo hosting site since Photobucket decided to leave several of us high and dry. So, pix of Beemer will have to wait.
 
I weigh 220 lbs naked ! and 6 ft.
When on the bike I probably have another 25/30 lbs in Aerostich jacket , Daytona boots , Helite air vest and other ATGATT.
 
Back
Top